Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo XXVI - 28th July 2018  (Read 10092 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Dunwich Dynamo XXVI - 28th July 2018
« on: 11 July, 2017, 10:08:57 am »
I'll just leave this here...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Dunwich Dynamo XXVI - 28th July 2018
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2017, 07:37:53 pm »
This might happen.  The cycling club at work seems willing to sponsor transport back.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:18:23 am »
Diaried.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:30:46 am »
Same weekend as the Ride London

« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:36:29 am »
I'm not going to get many more opportunities to ride this solo.   I'm pretty sure that mllePB would not be up for an overnighter so I'd probably need a support posse.   Contemplating Team Bear which would also be Team Slow but not definitely riding yet.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2017, 01:56:20 pm »
I may possibly give this another go this year, and at a slow pace - I rode in 2003 along with a number of C+ Forum stalwarts, a few of whom still lurk around on here.  The real challenge is logistical - living in the Midlands and getting to the start an from the finish.

We'll see.

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:09:44 pm »
Getting to the start is easy - all trains go to That London.  It's getting back from Dunwich which makes it a mission.

Team Slowing it with full kit as the start of a tour that ends somewhere sensible is one approach that seems to work.  As does continuing to somewhere with proper trains, but preferably not if you're riding at Team Slow pace because the sleep deprivation will get you regardless of how easy you take it on the ride (DAHIKT).  Cultivating a favour from someone with a motor vehicle (who isn't doing the ride themselves) seems like the best solution.  And there's always the coach & furniture van the Londoners lay on...

I still like the idea of doing the ride backwards.  Needs determination and a high tolerance for other people's shitty front lights.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:20:55 pm »
There are noises being made on FB that the "official" DD date has changed to 30th June/1st July. This info is based on some posts on the Lewisham Cyclists page stating that Southwark Cyclists are organising the return coaches for that weekend. Hopefully Jane OTP will be along son to clarify the situation.

My understanding is that there is a clash with the London Freecycle* event and that, since the same people (pretty much) are involved in the organisation/participation of both, it is necessary for one or other to move.

I have to say that my preference would be for the earlier date, on the grounds that there is about an hour's more daylight in late June than there is in late July. However, this preference could be academic as at some stage I will actually have to get on a bike and prove that I haven't forgotten how to ride one.

*as mentioned above by Rupert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:23:02 pm »
Pet hate:  People making 'official' changes to unorganised events on bloody Facebook.

(Not suggesting that's actually what's happening here, but this is what killed Birmingham's Critical Mass)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:41:04 pm »
There are noises being made on FB that the "official" DD date has changed to 30th June/1st July. This info is based on some posts on the Lewisham Cyclists page stating that Southwark Cyclists are organising the return coaches for that weekend. Hopefully Jane OTP will be along son to clarify the situation.

My understanding is that there is a clash with the London Freecycle* event and that, since the same people (pretty much) are involved in the organisation/participation of both, it is necessary for one or other to move.

I have to say that my preference would be for the earlier date, on the grounds that there is about an hour's more daylight in late June than there is in late July. However, this preference could be academic as at some stage I will actually have to get on a bike and prove that I haven't forgotten how to ride one.

*as mentioned above by Rupert

Do these people have the almighty power to change the phases of the moon? - I always thought that the full moon dictated the date?

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:42:56 pm »
Do these people have the almighty power to change the phases of the moon? - I always thought that the full moon dictated the date?

As it still will for everyone who won't hear the 'official' announcement.  Expect two, diminished, rides.

« Reply #11 on: 17 December, 2017, 03:40:14 pm »

...  Expect two, diminished, rides.

Not neccesarily a bad thing, though...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #12 on: 17 December, 2017, 03:48:52 pm »

Might have a 50% disappointment content from those expecting en route refreshments on the DD....
Or a furniture van to bring back their bike....

ETA: I remain to be convinced that the DD and Ride London participants have a significantly large overlap onna Venn diagram depicting both.
AKA is it an issue?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 17 December, 2017, 04:49:01 pm »
ETA: I remain to be convinced that the DD and Ride London participants have a significantly large overlap onna Venn diagram depicting both.
AKA is it an issue?

DD riders and Ride London marshals, OTOH?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 17 December, 2017, 04:53:07 pm »

Nahh.  The whole point in the Dun Run is that it's a mass event, with cyclists of all flavours and levels of preparedness and ability joining in the mass exodus to the Suffolk coast.

If you want a smaller, less chaotic night ride with people who can ride sensibly in a group and a halfway stop that can cope with the numbers, do a FNRttC.  Or an audax.  Or a forum ride.  There's probably even a decent railway station at the destination.

The DD is a unique animal, and its chaos is a big part of its charm.

« Reply #15 on: 17 December, 2017, 04:54:24 pm »
AKA is it an issue?

DD riders and Ride London marshals, OTOH?

In fairness, you make a salient point.

rogerzilla

« Reply #16 on: 19 December, 2017, 05:57:24 pm »
The lower the numbers, the better!  It's been out of hand since at least 2008.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #17 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:07:03 am »
It is likely I will be at a wedding in Mexico that weekend, so no DunRun for me.

But... is there any interest here in a NotTheDunRun a month earlier?  Either Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 05 January, 2018, 12:09:53 pm »
I would be up for a notthedunrun, earlier in the year.

Possibly not quite a month before as i'll be in Switzerland then but sometime around then.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 23 April, 2018, 11:39:20 am »
I won't be DDing this year because of Johann Sebastian Bach.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #20 on: 23 April, 2018, 01:50:01 pm »
Although it's been in  my sights for a couple of years, I'll not be doing it this year as I'm spending part of the next two weeks on tour. I think being shot at dawn by SWMBO on request for a weekend pass, two days ahead of a ten-day pass will likely restrict my ability to get to Islay on time.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #21 on: 23 April, 2018, 05:48:19 pm »
I'll be away for this year's edition but may be able to join a YACF version if it's early enough. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

rogerzilla

« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2018, 03:09:21 pm »
Have formally requested transport back /shudders with trepidation

« Reply #23 on: 22 June, 2018, 02:26:32 pm »
There are noises being made on FB that the "official" DD date has changed to 30th June/1st July.

I guess nothing came of this? Southwark Cyclists still say 28th July.

I think I plan to start (on a slightly more sensible bike than last year) but given my general state of health perhaps peel off and get the first train from somewhere like Stowmarket, as I did (inadvertently) last time. I'm a bit concerned that I might plug on to Dunwich and then be effectively treed with another 50km back to Ipswich to get a train. Still, we'll see.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #24 on: 22 June, 2018, 03:08:43 pm »
There's the "Blue Moon" Dynamo (unsupported) next weekend, and the "official" one (semi supported) on 28-29 July.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000