Author Topic: Every County Town in Britain  (Read 9355 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Every County Town in Britain
« Reply #25 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:25:57 pm »
Rule:  You must find a forumite in each county town1 to take a picture with.

1 Or someone who lives close by and is prepared to attend the photographic occasion.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:33:25 pm »

1 Or someone who lives close by and is prepared to attend the photographic occasion.

That sounds flexible enough to be achievable, especially if cardboard cutouts are allowed for the harder to reach locations.

« Reply #27 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:34:49 pm »
I'll do the Chelmsford photo for you Bobb  ;D

I might even throw in Ipswich too if that's where you finish.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #28 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:48:47 pm »

Thats is a rule I have considered. And I agree it is indeed a good one. That will go into the constitution  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #29 on: 02 November, 2017, 05:58:25 pm »
Depending on whether the family is around, you're welcome to stop over in Warwick...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #30 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »
Bugger.  I hope there's someone closer to Aberystwyth than me.  :-\

Edit:  Ah!  Although Aberystwyth is the administrative centre, it seems that the historic country town of Ceredigion (was Cardiganshire) is Aberteifi (Cardigan). That seems to make sense.
I reckon these old bones could do that.  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:31:27 pm »
Beyond that, the only advice I can give is to start in Truro and finish in Thurso. Unless, of course, you want to do a closed loop and finish at your start point, in which case it is irrelevant. But a closed loop will be significantly longer.
Is there a proof of that?

Not sure about "significantly", but you can easily show that for any closed loop visiting all towns, there are many shorter, non-closed paths through the same towns.  (just take the closed loop through all towns and delete any link between two adjacent towns on the path:- voila - a shorter, non-closed path that still visits all the same towns).
Well of course what you say is correct; but I was making a feeble joke about "proofs"/theorems etc, and also making a pedantic point about that word "significantly".

(I assume we're just tossing around silly geometry chat at this stage, and not getting into a bitter forum point-scoring battle? Good, then I'll proceed ... )
Take this route through some fictional towns:

Clearly you could save distance by cutting out any one of the links ... but it would hardly be a "significant" saving. And of course our cycling salesman does need to get home, so a closed loop does have other advantages (including aesthetics?? )

Now, imagine Truro and Thurso are at the bottom/top of that map; clearly the closed loop will be far shorter than any route with those 2 fixed-end points.
[I'll try to find a more suitable graphic later ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ben T

« Reply #32 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:38:16 pm »
This would be better done as a race between two people. One who just sets off cycling, and at the same time that he sets off, the other starts writing an algorithm to determine the most efficient method, and then sets off. The algorithm might take days or even weeks to write but he could still win! Would be interesting to watch whether he catches up on the head start.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:43:15 pm »
Like very very slow orienteering?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:58:14 pm »
This would be better done as a race between two people. One who just sets off cycling, and at the same time that he sets off, the other starts writing an algorithm to determine the most efficient method, and then sets off. The algorithm might take days or even weeks to write but he could still win! Would be interesting to watch whether he catches up on the head start.

Similar to the tortoise-and-hare effect you tend to get on 100km audaxes, where navigation skills are often inversely proportional to cycling performance...

« Reply #35 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:32:13 am »
I'm trying to get Rule 1 down - which is where I have to go.

Shit, this is hard. I know people have already pointed out the rather random nature of administative centres, but I've been researching myself. The UK is fucked up! Why do we have to be so awkward?!

I think I might go with the pre 1889 reforms. That way there can be no doubt as they're never going to change.

So, I have my list. Now it's time to get some maps out....

Edit: Where a county has multiple administative centres eg Middlesex (with 4) I have to go to all of them....

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:41:21 am »
I'm trying to get Rule 1 down - which is where I have to go.

Shit, this is hard. I know people have already pointed out the rather random nature of administative centres, but I've been researching myself. The UK is fucked up! Why do we have to be so awkward?!

I think I might go with the pre 1889 reforms. That way there can be no doubt as they're never going to change.
;D

(that's actually a very sensible idea  :thumbsup: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #37 on: 03 November, 2017, 11:51:55 am »
Bed, food and indoor bike parking on offer in the county town of York :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 03 November, 2017, 12:09:27 pm »
I was just commenting to Butterfly last night that you would do better to use a prior definition of County for your purpose, since the manifold variations in administrative units now (and differences between geographical and administrative counties post-1974) make it difficult to avoid arbitrary distinctions.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #39 on: 03 November, 2017, 12:49:26 pm »
Alternatively, it makes the tour/journey/escapade longer and betterer by giving you more places to visit!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #40 on: 03 November, 2017, 12:57:28 pm »
Could go both ways- if you're going back to 1889 for your list of counties, are you using the 1889 definition of "UK" and covering the whole of Ireland ?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 03 November, 2017, 01:16:02 pm »
The rules are I have to visit every county town in every county in mainlnd GB.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #42 on: 03 November, 2017, 01:35:38 pm »
I'm thinking of changing this tour to visiting all Australian State and Territory Capitals. It might be further, but so much easier as there are only eight.

Edit: FFS, I've now got shit like Norfolk Island to deal with. This plan is impossible!

« Reply #43 on: 03 November, 2017, 01:43:20 pm »
The rules are I have to visit every county town in every county in mainlnd GB.
Ah, good point. Misled by mention of UK a few posts up.

« Reply #44 on: 03 November, 2017, 01:46:55 pm »
Is there any country in the World that has clearly defined Capitals/Administrative centres? Because if there is - that's where I'm going!  :P

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #45 on: 03 November, 2017, 01:47:33 pm »
Two thoughts...

Firstly, please can you delay your plans whilst we either make Mid-Essex a county in its own right or indeed an independent country?

Secondly, you'll be needing a new bike!  :thumbsup:  Not that there is anything wrong with your current fleet, its just that an adventure if this magnitude will require a new bike.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #46 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:02:31 pm »
This reminds me of a few years ago when I thought about riding to a British town beginning with every letter of the alphabet.  Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere beginning with X  :'(

« Reply #47 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:06:24 pm »
Is there any country in the World that has clearly defined Capitals/Administrative centres? Because if there is - that's where I'm going!  :P
Switzerland?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #48 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:17:21 pm »
This reminds me of a few years ago when I thought about riding to a British town beginning with every letter of the alphabet.  Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere beginning with X  :'(

I'd have gone to Exeter or Exmouth.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #49 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:18:29 pm »
Or Cross Hands