Author Topic: Greek Audax  (Read 965 times)

Greek Audax
« on: 22 February, 2018, 01:28:41 pm »
I was rather excited to see this posted on the fb page as I lived in Greece for a few years and I know there is some incredible scenery off the beaten track in mainland Greece.

I was a little disappointed however to see on their official site that helmets are mandatory despite the fact that there is no helmet law in Greece. Mind you if they enforce it the way the motorcycle helmet laws are enforced by the police...

[url]https://m.facebook.com/groups/32695893641?view=permalink&id=10157198528988642/url]

Re: Greek Audax
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2018, 01:35:59 pm »
Sorry can't get the link to work but it's on the Audax UK fb page.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Greek Audax
« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2018, 01:38:44 pm »
HK and I rode a 400 qualifier for PBP a few years ago. The organisers take helmets (and reflective vest, etc.) fairly seriously with a pre-start inspection. On the other hand, they are very welcoming to foreign riders and are happy to provide advice and assistance to monoglots like me.

Folk unfamiliar with Greece should be aware that quite a few of the routes go through challenging terrain. I vaguely remember something around 6000m of climbing for a Peloponnese 400 and many of the locals being really concerned about not being able to keep it up for 1200km. We assured them that they would get round PBP just fine if they could qualify with these sorts of events.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...