Author Topic: Schwalbe marathon Greenguard 700 x 32  (Read 1221 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Schwalbe marathon Greenguard 700 x 32
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:54:04 pm »
So I've taken the Supremes off 'Olive' for the winter, as I find them a bit slippy in all the Skoggy mess, and for winter Rough Stuff.  So I've gone for The Greenguard version, @£16 each from Ribble (£32 pair p+p free) I didn't weigh these,  as they were bought for their robustness. I've just fitted them.  They were fitted to H+Son TB14 rims, with 17mm internal width, and I managed to fit them without tyre levers, just by working them in, all the way round. Thought i would have a bit of trouble, as when the second side is started the greenguard material makes for a thicker 'sandwich' and rolling them over , to tuck in the opposite bead initially, was a tad awkward.  But they're on, and pumped up. I'll do the usual mileage /visitation log.  Nowt wrong with the Supremes btw, front still has mold line on after 3500 km +, but wanted some tread for winter. 

WP_20171230_08_58_53_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

31.1mm wide

WP_20171230_08_59_46_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

30.8mm tall

WP_20171230_08_58_05_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

Bit more room under the mudguards, I'll prob remove the reflective tape.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Schwalbe marathon Greenguard 700 x 32
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:55:55 pm »
Mileage to date                               2161 km

Visitations                                       0 Front                                     0  Rear

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 02:14:43 pm »
Health warning:  The newer HS420 'greenguard' incarnation of the Marathon is anecdotally underwhelming in its grip on trace levels of skog/chutney.  I damaged my bike in an off that I wouldn't have expected to happen on the previous HS368s, and someone else reported similar (can't find the thread now).

They seem fine for actual Sustrans-style rough stuff.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 05:18:30 pm »
Health warning:  The newer HS420 'greenguard' incarnation of the Marathon is anecdotally underwhelming in its grip on trace levels of skog/chutney.  I damaged my bike in an off that I wouldn't have expected to happen on the previous HS368s, and someone else reported similar (can't find the thread now).

They seem fine for actual Sustrans-style rough stuff.

Was this when new, or after a bit of wear, coz they doo look shiny and.......silicony  at the moment, could be the mould oil stuff.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 05:26:11 pm »
After a couple of thousand miles of wear.  I fitted them to the bike in May 2016 or so, did a summer of touring on it, injured my Achilles, missed the 2016 chutney season, used a different bike through the winter as I recovered, used it for various touringy things (including some comedy off-roading) this spring/summer without issue, and promptly fell off it the first time I braked hard on a not-visibly-slimy autumn road.  Ironically, that was the week I retired the fast bike because the skog had reached the point where I didn't think that slick tyres were a good idea.

For reference this is the 40-406 and 40-559 variant (bike has different sized wheels), but I expect the compound is the same.

Not had any punctures[1] on them so far, so there's that.  And there's always the possibility that it might just be bad luck.

[1] Valve failure doesn't count.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:31:59 pm »
I wonder if the rigidity of the anti-puncture layer means that the tyres don't conform/deform to the irregularities of the road, and hence don't get a good 'grip' on the bitumen?

That might also account for the relatively low rolling resistance.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 07:46:58 pm »
I wonder if the rigidity of the anti-puncture layer means that the tyres don't conform/deform to the irregularities of the road, and hence don't get a good 'grip' on the bitumen?

Simplistically, friction is independent of contact area, but this must surely be a case where it's A Bit More Complicated Than That, so I wouldn't be surprised if it went either way  :-\

I'd guess that the siping pattern is able to do its thing in line with earlier incarnations, hence it still works well enough with off-road mud and gravel, but something about the new compound has compromised the grip on slimy solid surfaces.  If it's a deformation thing, it might just be that it needs a slightly lower pressure...

That might also account for the relatively low rolling resistance.

This does seem likely.  The figures on https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ are impressive.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 08:01:45 pm »
Harder rubber typically lowers rolling resistance and reduces wear rate but reduces grip, particularly wet weather grip.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 01:18:06 pm »
First ride , seem good, grip better than the Supremes I reckon, slightly less comfy, but then I am running them at 75 / 80 psi, as opposed to 60/65, and I'll  prob let them go down a bit on their own, as they do. Don't seem any slower than the 35mm Supremes, and looking down whilst riding, its quite nice seeing a tread. Reminds me of the old Michelin World Tours , when I were a  lad.  A very wet ride, in floods and Skog, BUT, and this is a big BUT............my bike came back much cleaner than with the Supremes, the front tyre, being narrower, and treaded, doesn't squash the water and muck out of the way, thus throwing it every where, well impressed. Also the steering seems a tad more.......twitchy. (faster)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 02:39:54 pm »
Last weekend I was away at Beverley YHA,  for a Ruff Stuff  winter weekend, with the Local CTC DA. I know MTBs are a good thing, but honestly, in the gloopy muddy stuff, those on Trad tourer bikes (75%) fared much better than those with the MTB's.  The marathons coped very well, and off road, riding thro the puddles was the better option, as the wet aided the self cleaning of the tyres.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 02:16:03 pm »
I had a recent inaugural experience of using an MTB in skog like that and, yes, my friend on a hybrid with slicker tyres was in a much better place than I was. I just couldn't shed the mud and ended up doing wheelspinning thigh workouts before having to dismount and walk.