Author Topic: Long sleeve shirts to short sleeve  (Read 4207 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Long sleeve shirts to short sleeve
« on: 06 January, 2018, 12:21:53 pm »
Any chaps had any of their long sleeve shirts chopped and made into short sleeved?
If so did they look ok, or naff?

Pingu's got about 12 really nice long sleeve shirts that I bought before I got the message. Seems a shame to waste them, given that the prints on LS shirts are often nicer than those available in SS.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Long sleeve shirts to short sleeve
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2018, 12:37:30 pm »
I believe they are cut differently around the shoulders so they wouldn't look right if you just chopped the sleeves back.
How wrong I have no idea.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2018, 02:42:39 pm »
Can't you just tell him to roll the sleeves up?

My mum used to turn long sleeves into short sleeves when the cuffs frayed, and turned the collars over and sewed them back on when they frayed. But she's a bit frugal like that. Most of the shirts came from the jumble sale in the first place.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2018, 03:13:52 pm »
I believe they are cut differently around the shoulders so they wouldn't look right if you just chopped the sleeves back.
How wrong I have no idea.

I don't really know anything about men's tailoring but suspect you might have a point.

I would guess that short-sleeved shirts had roomier, broader sleeves and possibly more generously cut shoulders.

Men's 'short sleeves' (almost down to the elbow crease) are MUCH longer than women's short sleeves (mid-biceps).

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2018, 03:27:56 pm »
I wondered about that but have seen a couple of blogs where it's not looked bad in the photos.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2018, 03:34:11 pm »
If it's good  enough for Albert Einstein. ...
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2018, 03:41:53 pm »
A lot depends upon the quality of the shirts.  Shirts with plenty of material around the shoulder, upper arm and underarm can be tailored well whereas 'slim fit' shirts tend to be less flexible.

Why not take one along to a local purveyor of repairs and alterations for an experiment? 

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2018, 05:16:32 pm »
Why not take one along to a local purveyor of repairs and alterations for an experiment? 

That was my plan. Got a less than enthusiastic response to my suggestion though  :-\

ian

« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2018, 06:41:29 pm »
Hold on, short sleeved shirts? Don't you live in Scotland? I'm suffering a computation failure.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2018, 06:49:00 pm »
Hold on, short sleeved shirts? Don't you live in Scotland? I'm suffering a computation failure.
Apparently the building Pingu works in is 'too hot'.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2018, 06:52:56 pm »
Having lived in Scotland for several years, I can't say the words 'too hot' ever sweated their way into my vocabulary. Scotland is the only place I've been to where the 'exotic dancers' wear a coat.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2018, 06:57:42 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2018, 07:00:02 pm »
Having lived in Scotland for several years, I can't say the words 'too hot' ever sweated their way into my vocabulary. Scotland is the only place I've been to where the 'exotic dancers' wear a coat.

I can be sitting here in a fleece, with a fleecy blanket on top and a cat on top of that. Pingu will be in a t shirt and shorts. Admittedly his seat is right in front of the wood burning stove, while I'm sat off to the side and next to the door....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2018, 07:13:30 pm »
I tolerate cooler environments than my partner.

A pleasant feature of working and living in Shetland was the use of central heating all year, rather than having no heating between arbitrary dates like 1 April and 1 October.

I can understand this might make some places uncomfortably hot.

Some healthcare places have a 'naked below the elbow' policy in some clinical areas. Proper short sleeves look smarter and cleaner than rolled-up long sleeves.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2018, 07:18:09 pm »
Some healthcare places have a 'naked below the elbow' policy in some clinical areas. Proper short sleeves look smarter and cleaner than rolled-up long sleeves.

Plus you can pretty much guarantee that if rolled-up sleeves are going to come unrolled, they'll choose the worst possible time to come unrolled, because... (continued p94)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:42:15 pm »
I have a number of shirts whose elbows have worn through that Mrs. Wow has successfully turned into perfectly adequate short sleeved shirts.

OTOH I have never really been noted for my sartorial elegance.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Ben T

« Reply #16 on: 08 January, 2018, 10:45:11 am »
You'd have to hem it and the hem might look crap. Depends how good you are at creating a hem, how likely the colleagues are to be able to tell it's home made, how likely he is to care, etc. I think it might be quite comical to simply go to work with it unhemmed and see if he gets pulled up by management.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 08 January, 2018, 09:48:14 pm »
You'd have to hem it and the hem might look crap. Depends how good you are at creating a hem, how likely the colleagues are to be able to tell it's home made, how likely he is to care, etc. I think it might be quite comical to simply go to work with it unhemmed and see if he gets pulled up by management.

I'm not hemming anything....

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #18 on: 10 January, 2018, 08:38:25 pm »
Can't you just tell him to roll the sleeves up?

My mum used to turn long sleeves into short sleeves when the cuffs frayed, and turned the collars over and sewed them back on when they frayed. But she's a bit frugal like that. Most of the shirts came from the jumble sale in the first place.
some relly was heard to lament that now shirts didn't have tails you couldn't cup a bit from the tail to refurbish the more visible part of the shirt.
there's sides to middle on sheets too.  afaict I am the only person who still bothers.  Never summoned the enthusiasm for end to middle though.

to the OP, though possibly irrelevant: I have on occasion shortened sleeves, by taking a tuck mid upper arm.  as sleeves are tapered I then have to tweak the seam down the sleeve so the top is the same width as below the tuck.  You could of course shorten the sleeves to fit you.
I'd agree with the comment about the hemming though.  I had to triple stitch something child-sized I once altered to match the rest of the garment.

Men's 'short sleeves' (almost down to the elbow crease) are MUCH longer than women's short sleeves (mid-biceps).
much to my disgust as I prefer to cover my upper arm ha ha ha

'naked below the elbow' for healthcare settings is so you can wash properly etc.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19 on: 10 January, 2018, 08:47:05 pm »
I suffered side to middle sheets in a single bed as a child.  I had a permanent crease down my body from the hem.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:25:33 pm »
I suffered side to middle sheets in a single bed as a child.  I had a permanent crease down my body from the hem.

Judging from your avatar, you slept on your face...

« Reply #21 on: 10 January, 2018, 10:16:20 pm »
Never cut sleeves off long sleeved but I have cut sleeves off short sleeved to make sleeveless!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 10 January, 2018, 10:38:41 pm »
I tend to wear out the collars first, so there wouldn't be much point in converting shirt sleeves for me. But I do wear holes in the elbows of my jumpers. Has anyone made a short-sleeved sweater? How would you go about it? And... what could the point be of a jumper with short sleeves?

Not entirely seriously sitting in a tank top (or is it an armoured personnel carrier?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #23 on: 10 January, 2018, 10:52:08 pm »
I tend to wear out the collars first, so there wouldn't be much point in converting shirt sleeves for me. But I do wear holes in the elbows of my jumpers. Has anyone made a short-sleeved sweater? How would you go about it? And... what could the point be of a jumper with short sleeves?
My job often involves working outside in the cold/rain/snow, and sticking my hands in water, often up to the wrists/elbows. I was recently thinking some sort of short-sleeved jacket/jumper/fleece would be very useful. Some sort of softshell would be great.

I might try a sleeveless vest/gilet, but would be nice to have something that covered my shoulders as well for extra warmth.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24 on: 15 January, 2018, 08:34:09 pm »

You can roll your sleeves up for at least 5 days a year in Aberdeen, on average/ Granted, they may be in November, but if that's what you get?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens