Author Topic: RIP: Cyrille Regis  (Read 2345 times)

RIP: Cyrille Regis
« on: 15 January, 2018, 10:43:53 am »
Sad loss of a former top footballer who gave pleasure to many soccer fans up and down the country.

Re: RIP: Cyrille Regis
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2018, 11:09:03 am »
Yes RIP Cyrille a great footballer and a great man.

Many years ago I was taking wedding photos at the then Europa Lodge hotel near the Hawthorns. The bride was an Albion fan and Cyrille was her favourite player. When I was leaving the hotel in the side lounge I saw Big Ron with Cyrille and Tony Brown. As I knew Ron I went over and told them about the bride being a supporter and Cyrille being her favourite. Without hesitation they got up and went to the room where the reception was being held. The Bride and her guests were all absolutely thrilled.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2018, 01:57:05 pm »
I started to go to Cov City games in the 91-92 season, so I just missed Cyrille as he left in 90-91  :(

RIP
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2018, 05:52:53 pm »
Regis & Cunningham.  2 Ground-breaking, barn-storming footballers from my youth.

Both of them would have suited today's game with their pace and power.

Both of them sad losses, too young.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2018, 07:34:47 am »
A great footballer and a bit of a pioneer. Football changed around him.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2018, 08:41:27 am »
Growing up in Manchester as a United fan, I was very pleased when a West Brom team consisting of
Regis, Cunningham and Batson hammered United 5-3. The amount of abuse they received was shocking.
However, I'm sure that racist element in the United crowd secretly admired the way Regis and Cunningham
tore United apart.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2018, 06:48:27 pm »
Growing up in Manchester as a United fan, I was very pleased when a West Brom team consisting of
Regis, Cunningham and Batson hammered United 5-3. The amount of abuse they received was shocking.
However, I'm sure that racist element in the United crowd secretly admired the way Regis and Cunningham
tore United apart.

Shocking times indeed.  Thankfully the players you mention had the character to let their talent do the talking.

How glad, proud in fact, I was to see, decades later, Ronaldo (Brazilian Ronaldo) receive a standing ovation at Old Trafford as he left the pitch after he single-handedly tore United apart.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.