Author Topic: Death of family member. What to do & what to claim  (Read 4183 times)

Death of family member. What to do & what to claim
« on: 19 January, 2018, 01:55:48 pm »
My dad died a couple of days ago & we are starting to look at tying up loose ends and sorting out responsibilities.

Does anyone know of a good website that details what we need to do and what, if anything, we can claim?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Death of family member. What to do & what to claim
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2018, 02:11:42 pm »
Which/Consumers' Association did a book.
They also have this online.
https://www.which.co.uk/money/what-to-do-when-someone-dies

Googling 'what to do dies' got me several helpful hits.
This was one https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/what-to-do-when-someone-dies which looked more extensive and helpful.

Condolences.

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2018, 03:06:34 pm »
Thanks Helly!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2018, 03:58:36 pm »
The sorting out can be quite draining, no matter how you felt about the person. Condolences
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2018, 04:05:07 pm »
My condolences, it's a rough passage. I did all that just over a year ago for the Inlaw Paw, but little of it would be relevant in the UK.  Main ports of call were the undertakers, the solicitor and the bank.  Fortunately, all of them were very helpful.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2018, 04:09:05 pm »
Undertakers are usually very helpful. You’d best get any and all pensions and benefits stopped ASAP. You’ll also need to register the death. I think it was hospital first, to get the certs, then registrar - you’ll need an appointment - then undertakers with the final paperwork. We wanted a cardboard coffin - mums wish - but one with permits to use at the crem was twice the price of a chipboard one  ::-).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2018, 04:58:35 pm »
There is a useful Government service that allows you to make one call and that then spreads the news of the death across the various departments. The registrar doles out a number to quote for this. Quite a good idea and how it should be.

« Reply #7 on: 20 January, 2018, 11:50:55 am »
There is a useful Government service that allows you to make one call and that then spreads the news of the death across the various departments. The registrar doles out a number to quote for this. Quite a good idea and how it should be.

Beware the one call thing. It doesn’t always work. Best to do it but confirm individually. Also make sure you order plenty of copies of the death certificate at the beginning. Banks ets will demand originals. I think we got 10.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #8 on: 20 January, 2018, 01:48:27 pm »
I've had to do this in the past 3 years, for both mum and dad, who died only 7 months apart.  You have my condolences.

+1 for getting multiple copies of the death certificate - 10 is a good number.  You'll be surprised at just who needs them. A few copies of the will will be a good idea too - but IIRC that needs to be certified by a solicitor - banks etc. won't accept a photocopy.

Beyond the immediacies of the funeral, some actions will depend upon if there is a surviving spouse, as (depending on the terms of the will) the estate (or most of it) usually passes to them, without any tax issues.  If your dad was the last spouse, then you may have tax issues to deal with if the total value of the estate was >£650k.  It's important to find out what the assets are asap: Building society accounts, bank accounts, shares, property etc.  You may need to do a bit of digging through papers.

You need to tell any pension providers about the death so that pension payments can be stopped. Tell the local authority if there's a now empty house as the Community Charge may be reduced. 

If you had access to you father's affairs during his lifetime via an Enduring Power of Attorney then the mechanics are much easier as you will have had access to bank accounts etc. and know what assets are where, although that access ceases on the death of the surviving spouse.  Once you tell the bank etc. that the account holder has died (unless it's a joint account and another signatory is still alive) they'll freeze the account and even if you have an EPA, you can't get at the assets until you have Probate.

Gaining probate for the estate is done by the executors - there were 4 for my parents' estate but I (as one of them) did it for us all.  The forms are downloadable from the Probate Office and it's all done by post.  Once you have the details of the assets, and have filled in the forms it does not take long (less than a month for me).  If Inheritance Tax is due (40% on assets >£650k) (roughly), then that has to be paid before they'll give you Probate (so someone may need to stump up cash to pay the IHT before you can get access to the remaining assets).  If you think IHT may be due, then get the forms from the HMRC website - there were 90 pages of these for my parents' estate - they are not complicated but there are a lot of them.  You need to prioritise sorting the IHT.

You may need to set up an executor's bank account to receive the funds from the estate once you have probate - we did this with the bank my dad had has his accounts with.  They'll give you a cheque book etc.

Liquidating and distributing the estate may not be quick or simple, there are a number of hurdles to be jumped through, but with patience and attention to detail, you'll get through it and come out the other side.  It took me about 9 months from the second death to distributing the monies from the estate to the beneficiaries, and then close the bank account.

Whilst it was a difficult few months, and sometimes it felt as though we'd never get through it, everybody I dealt with was helpful and although they needed bits of paper before anything could be done, it was all for a good reason and eventually you get through the process.

Being an executor is a fairly onerous task if you are the one who elects to do the leg work.  However, I saw it as the last thing that I (as the eldest child) could do for my mum and dad, and I'm pleased I did.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 20 January, 2018, 01:53:16 pm »
My condolences too - I hope everything goes smoothly. Finding a good funeral director can help, usually by recommendation.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 20 January, 2018, 02:24:55 pm »
Condolences. Done this twice as executor - both my parents. It was reasonably straightforward as there were no inheritance tax implications. The problem is that it comes when you are (usually) at a particularly low ebb and doing even basic stuff can present a challenge.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #11 on: 20 January, 2018, 02:49:07 pm »
Sorry to hear this. I'm two months into the same process so will PM you when I've collected some thoughts.

« Reply #12 on: 20 January, 2018, 04:29:41 pm »
I should add that my mother survives him and will inherit the lot.

« Reply #13 on: 20 January, 2018, 05:18:54 pm »
Probate needs to be done as does registering the death.  Work out who will want a death certificate (financial institutions mainly) and order at least as many as you think you need plus a few more.  Better to have too many than not enough.  Same with copies of the grant of probate.   

If he has life insurance or health insurance policies these will need to be activated.

Call the pensions people both state and private.  The call to the DWP should trigger a cascade to all government departments.

If bills are in the name of the deceased you'll need to contact the providers and of course the council re council tax.  Perhaps also a single occupant discount on council tax if appropriate for your mother.   TV licencing also springs to mind.   Also does he have any subscriptions to anything?

If the drives does he have car insurance?  Is any car owned or on a PCP type plan?

If he holds shares, isas, unit trusts, etc in his or joint names these will need to be reassigned subject to probate.

If the house is in joint names or his name only then, subject to probate, it will need to be transferred. 

All of the above are mainly about bureaucracy.   

There will be more but at present it is not springing to mind.

Sincere condolences by the way.  Losing a loved one is never easy.

« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2018, 10:50:02 pm »
My condolences. Done this twice in the last few years for parents.  Be gentle with yourself and give yourself time.

« Reply #15 on: 21 January, 2018, 01:31:47 pm »
I should add that my mother survives him and will inherit the lot.
Condolences.
For anyone who comes to this thread later on - looking for advice - I'd say that you are in a good position with your mother being the sole beneficiary.
I have dealt with several relations' affairs (as I'm generally not very emotional and can see past some of the touchy-feely stuff) and the most recent was the most difficult because of a couple of 'awkward' relatives - they were (probably) only awkward because of their emotional involvement, but it did come close to becoming nasty on a couple of occasions over money (what else?).
So - to anyone else in a similar situation I'd add the very strong advice to write down everything you do, everyone you speak to, and every penny you spend & receive - and to share it at frequent (almost obscenely frequent) intervals - this will mean that Great-aunt Gertie can raise her questions sooner rather than bottling them up for a family war party.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #16 on: 21 January, 2018, 05:00:04 pm »
All useful stuff, thanks y'all!

Just found out the death is being referred to the coroner. Dad was found slumped in bed and the cause of death is indeterminate, so I spose that'll hold things up. Ho hum.

My brother will be picking up the death certificate as and when & I have told him to get multiple copies, as advised by several good folk above. Sound advice.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 21 January, 2018, 05:23:26 pm »
A death has to be referred to the coroner if the GP can't in conscience write a certificate giving the cause of death or hasn't seen the patient for a fortnight.
The pathologist doing the PM will usually issue a certificate within a few days if the death appears 'natural' as I suspect your Dad's was, and a funeral can be arranged without undue delay thereafter.
Cremation Certificates are the backstop designed to prevent destroying evidence of foul play.
While they seem pricy and bureaucratic, I am grateful safeguards are in place to prevent concealment of murder.

« Reply #18 on: 21 January, 2018, 07:28:51 pm »
'Ash cash' as I think it's known in the profession... £104 for a signature! Yikes! I too like the idea of these checks, but still...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 21 January, 2018, 07:56:50 pm »
"Having attended the deceased in life and having seen and identified the body after death, I answer the following questions..."

I think there are 19 questions:- when did patient die, how soon after death did I see and what examination was made of body, who was present at death, where did patient die, cause of death, have I any reason to suspect poisoning or neglect etc.
Do you have any pecuniary interest?...

For every crem form I signed for any death I had not witnessed myself, I ALWAYS rolled the body over to check there was no stab wound in the back.

It's easy money but I felt I'd earned it.

Part 2 needs to be signed by a doctor who has been fully registered for over 5 years and must discuss the case with the doctor who has signed Part 1.

Part 3, the final Authority to Cremate is signed by the Medical Referee to the crematorium.

It's not really just a simple signature if you're halfway conscientious...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #20 on: 21 January, 2018, 08:27:01 pm »
My stepdad a doctor knew a doc who worked with Harold Shipman. 

She refused to sign death certs where he was the part 1 doctor and reported concerns about him to the powers that be years before his murdering was officially discovered. No one wanted to know, but she continued to refuse to sign the certificates. 

« Reply #21 on: 22 January, 2018, 11:41:15 am »
OK Helly, I accept that there's more to it than a signature & I'm sure you were conscientious. It just seems to be a tax on death, that's all.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 22 January, 2018, 12:20:29 pm »
I appreciate that.
Bureaucracy anywhere is costly and there are all sorts of incidental expenses when you travel, move, are dead or disabled.

I think crem forms are a fair check to ensure murders get noticed. There will always be cunning b*****ds like Shipman, but the system should pick up most cases.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2018, 01:15:20 pm »
I think the system is tighter than it used to be because of Shipman... And he should have been picked up sooner.

« Reply #24 on: 22 January, 2018, 06:41:09 pm »
I had some experience with working with Coroners and Coroners' Officers in my last job - they were - without exception - very approachable and very understanding people. They understood that people didn't know about how they worked and always went out of their way to help the families.
Don't hesitate to contact the Coroner's office if you feel you need support or aren't sure of the process.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.