Author Topic: RIP Jimmy Armfield  (Read 2052 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
RIP Jimmy Armfield
« on: 22 January, 2018, 12:05:27 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/22/jimmy-armfield-former-england-captain-dies-aged-82

Quite a legend in Lancashire: I was at college in Blackpool in the 1970s and was quite surprised, as an ignorant southerner, at the local affection shown towards him. I did a teaching practice at the Arnold school and fellow students asked me if Jimmy's son was in the class I was teaching (he was).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: RIP Jimmy Armfield
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2018, 12:41:36 pm »
A justifiable legend.  He was in the 66 world cup squad (just missed out) and he missed the Matthews/Mortensen Cup Final by one season.

RIP

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2018, 07:47:27 pm »
I'm sitting at home in Poulton le Fylde near Blackpool listening to a R5L interview with Jimmy Armfield replayed on our local BBC station. A sad day for all football fans with memories of the 50s and 60s football. He was playing in the first game my Dad to me to at Bloomfield road in 1963.It's sad with all the upset with the owners at Blackpool that the ground will be empty on Saturday for the fans tributes. A Gentleman with a capital letter with not a bad word for anybody.

« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2018, 10:28:44 pm »
Yes, always liked Jimmy Armfield. Amazing how the game has changed within the life span of guys like Armfield. Personally I didn't think that much to his analysis of the game on the radio, but the fact I always liked the sound of his voice, I didn't really care that much to what he was actually saying!

Interestingly enough, Man Utd came knocking on Blackpool's door to sign Armfiekld in 57, and were told in no uncertain terms where to go - that was a year before the Munich air disaster!

If you take an interest in the history of football in England, this is a rather nice interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05vpwq6

Good guy.

RIP

edit: Ah, I didn't realize he was England captain under Ramsey from 62-64 - captaincy that was curtailed due to injury - and how close he was to leading England in the 66 competition too - again, unlucky with injury. Listen to him talk about that time, he bears no bitterness or frustration of not being on the pitch. Measure of the man.
Garry Broad