Author Topic: Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne 2018  (Read 12435 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne 2018
« Reply #25 on: 22 May, 2018, 10:09:03 am »
In light of some recent conversations and an awareness of contretemps passim, it seems worth reminding aspiring HBKers that the event Brevet is not validated by ACP/LRM, and by extension AUK, so it will not count as a PBP qualifier or towards other awards.

AUKs who would like their ride to be recognised by AUK and so count towards AUK awards (R2500, etc.) have the option of registering a DIY1500 Perm through their local DIY Organiser.

Note that the entry must be submitted before the event. List the controls on the entry form and then proffer a GPS track of their ride or scan of the completed Brevet for validation on completion.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 22 May, 2018, 10:36:58 am »
In light of some recent conversations and an awareness of contretemps passim, it seems worth reminding aspiring HBKers that the event Brevet is not validated by ACP/LRM, and by extension AUK, so it will not count as a PBP qualifier or towards other awards.

AUKs who would like their ride to be recognised by AUK and so count towards AUK awards (R2500, etc.) have the option of registering a DIY1500 Perm through their local DIY Organiser.

Note that the entry must be submitted before the event. List the controls on the entry form and then proffer a GPS track of their ride or scan of the completed Brevet for validation on completion.

Excellent info Mr O'Tea  :thumbsup:

[We'll have no contretemps here - stuff ACP!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 22 May, 2018, 01:50:41 pm »
I'll be riding this just for its own delights but YMMV.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:15:49 pm »
Hmmm. This is getting pretty close ...

- Anyone know what weather to expect? I'm expecting mostly hot, with some torrential rain (or a lot). But can it get cold, like wot the UK and Britanny can at 4am in August?

- And are the published control times right? The finish seems a little generous ... I thought it was a 12kph event, so 1500km comes out (rather neatly) at 125 hours. (Salvatore's 2008 report seems to agree with this). But with a Saturday 0600 start, and a Thursday 1400 finish, that seems to be 128 hours. Nothing stopping people in aiming for 125hours I guess :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #29 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:19:53 pm »
The last six weeks have been constant sunshine and temperatures in the high 20s in Germany. This week 28-29 degrees every day, next week forecasted as 31-34.

Köln has a weird microclimate with thunderstorms at 5pm every day. Thunderstorms in Germany can be serious with golf ball sized hailstones.

Berlin can be hotter than the west of Germany where I live.

Evenings and nights don’t seem to get that cool.

Summary: probably hotter than you are used to in the UK.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 20 July, 2018, 04:27:59 pm »
Thanks AuntieH :)

That's quite encouraging - I don't play well in heat, but I have survived long hot rides before, and there is no point in fretting over what to pack. (except for which colour thong to pack ... hmmm ... )

I might finally do a long ride without carrying warm tights  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #31 on: 20 July, 2018, 08:58:12 pm »
Remember there's a desert by the windmills, which are worth seeing at night, so take a couple of large water bottles and make sure they are full.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 21 July, 2018, 01:30:59 pm »
Remember there's a desert by the windmills, which are worth seeing at night, so take a couple of large water bottles and make sure they are full.
Noted. I shall look out for the Windmill Desert warning sign  :thumbsup:

(We saw an amazing german night-time windmill display on the Eiger Sanction. I look forward to more!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 23 July, 2018, 07:41:57 pm »
So, finally booked flights. Something like:

BA0966 to Hamburg Thu 02 Aug 2018 15:30
BA0969 to London Sat 11 Aug 2018 13:55

If anyone wants to get in touch regarding possible pre/post ride drinks (or departure lounge drinks!), or touristy outings,  and/or room shares, please message me.

(I already know 2 of you on this thread, obvs!)

- And are the published control times right? The finish seems a little generous ... I thought it was a 12kph event, so 1500km comes out (rather neatly) at 125 hours. (Salvatore's 2008 report seems to agree with this). But with a Saturday 0600 start, and a Thursday 1400 finish, that seems to be 128 hours. Nothing stopping people in aiming for 125hours I guess :P

Aha - the route is actually 1527km. Allowing for some rounding somewhere, that's probably the answer.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #34 on: 23 July, 2018, 07:56:40 pm »
I'm flying out at 14:50 on Thu 2nd and returning at 14:25 on Fri 10th.  I'm staying in the Park Hotel Ahrensburg on Thu 2nd and Thu 9th.  I've just submitted my DIY entry for Manotea.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 23 July, 2018, 08:17:39 pm »
HK and I still need to book hotels. Maybe tomorrow.

BA0966 15:30 Thursday outbound and BA0975 17:15 Saturday back.

The organiser's sleep stops are at 450, 720, 920, 1100, 1300 and 1500km. Some of those distances look tough to achieve - 450km starting at 06:00 and aiming for a worthwhile amount of sleep before dawn seems optimistic. Did most folk last time use the control sleep stops or did they arrange their own hotels? Did they pre-book or wing it?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 25 July, 2018, 10:13:08 am »
Transport between the airport and the start/ finish looks pretty simple.
Taxi is 50+ Euro.

S-bahn + U-bahn is 3.30 Euro total each way and they both accept assembled bikes. S1 Airport to Barmbek, U3 to Wandsbek Gartenstadt, U1 to Schmalenbeck, less than an hour total.

Riding between is about 75 minutes on bikeways and quiet roads.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #37 on: 25 July, 2018, 10:31:28 am »
I've just come back from a tour of Netherlands/Germany including stops through Cologne.

The cycle track network in Germany isn't as good as the Dutch, but it is streets ahead of ours and you'll be on segregated, good quality cycle routes nearly all the time. I wouldn't bother wearing a helmet if I were you (I did have one with me but just ended up using it to store sausage rolls more than anything else. Just beware that you'll have to stop and cross the road a few times.

Also worth bearing in mind is that Germans permit turning right at junctions even when the green man is showing on pelican crossings, so it is worth checking that the lorry or BMW that's coming up behind you is actually going to stop before you cross the road. I never had any bad incidents but worth bearing in mind.

I fitted aero bars to my bike for this tour (review: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108887.msg2308138)), and they were brilliant in both the Netherlands and Germany. Highly highly recommended! Just make sure you get comfortable on them in the weeks ahead of the ride. Because as mentioned, the flats are really, really flat.

Keep an eye out for German cycle shops, many of them have a pump and inner tube vending machine out the front for cycle tourists. In this respect they are actually ahead of the Dutch, I didn't see a free use bike pump when I was out there at all.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #38 on: 25 July, 2018, 12:24:59 pm »
Did most folk last time use the control sleep stops or did they arrange their own hotels? Did they pre-book or wing it?
I believe that in 2014 Postie, Paul Rainbow, and Luke Joy-Smith rode together for most of the way and found hotels (not pre-booked) at around 300km intervals.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 28 July, 2018, 07:15:42 pm »
Slightly disappointing news from the org:

the hall where we can kip before/after will only have a bare floor provided. So pack your camp-beds and/or hammocks!

(when I was deflating+rolling the LEL beds last Sunday on Iddu's 600, I should have stuck one in the post to Hamburg :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #40 on: 29 July, 2018, 10:19:14 am »
Where did you read that, Matt?  I've received no email, so just visited the ACSH website and the only change I see is the addition of the HowToUseOurRoadbook2018.pdf.  Is there somewhere I should be looking for breaking news?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 29 July, 2018, 10:22:21 am »
I emailed Jochen! Have also asked him if we can leave stuff at the Gym (e.g. our 4-poster beds or hammocks) during the event ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #42 on: 29 July, 2018, 11:49:34 am »
According to https://www.hamburg-airport.de/en/baggage.php# there are left luggage facilities at Terminal 2 Departures level at 3 Euro/day. HK and I are thinking of putting one of our bike bags inside the other and leaving them there for the duration, taking our assembled bikes on the S-bahn and U-bahn.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 29 July, 2018, 02:18:03 pm »
Slightly disappointing news from the org:

the hall where we can kip before/after will only have a bare floor provided. So pack your camp-beds and/or hammocks!

(when I was deflating+rolling the LEL beds last Sunday on Iddu's 600, I should have stuck one in the post to Hamburg :P )

... and now Jochen has confirmed that we can leave kit in the cafeteria, where they will "keep an eye on it".  :thumbsup:

(Although personally I wouldn't want to make an organiser responsible for any valuables - personal choice of course.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 30 July, 2018, 06:36:07 am »
A little sight-seeing if anyone has a few spare hours?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/experiences/277035
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #45 on: 30 July, 2018, 02:07:15 pm »
HK and I still need to book hotels. Maybe tomorrow.

BA0966 15:30 Thursday outbound and BA0975 17:15 Saturday back.

The organiser's sleep stops are at 450, 720, 920, 1100, 1300 and 1500km. Some of those distances look tough to achieve - 450km starting at 06:00 and aiming for a worthwhile amount of sleep before dawn seems optimistic. Did most folk last time use the control sleep stops or did they arrange their own hotels? Did they pre-book or wing it?

Unless it's dramatically rerouted you can pretty much expect 400km of flat valley to hoon along, 800km of lumps, and 300km of flat...

Hopefully it'll be drier ;D

Have a good time.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #46 on: 31 July, 2018, 08:36:02 pm »
Iin 2014 we rode 5x300km and found digs as we went along without too much problem.  There is a hotel round the corner from the 330km control. Good distance for day one.

I plan the same thing this time. Wednesday night finish.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 02 August, 2018, 09:09:21 pm »
HK, mattc and I have ridden past the start. Registration tomorrow and the proper riding begins the day after.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #48 on: 03 August, 2018, 10:36:43 pm »
I'm not riding but as I just happen by a happy circumstance to be in the area I turned up at registration today. An old teethgrinder trick, that, turn up at an event where you are known where there's food. And lots of old friends. They were interested to hear of McNasty's latest Mersey Roads exploits, he being a legend in these parts.

There's a large contingent of Thais and several Taiwanese.

Those who have ridden this event will be saddened to hear that Heino Harms died in June. He was the leading light in Audax Club Schleswig-Holstein and organised the first 2 editions of HBK. BTW his widow Britta told me she still has the Jimmy hat donated by the Scottish contingent 8 years ago.

Anyway it seems I've been roped in to help at the Ditfurt control.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #49 on: 03 August, 2018, 10:50:51 pm »
Hmm, my much loved Hamburg Endspurt cap has recently expired... I'd be very pleased if somebody could acquire a replacement or two, either for coin or maybe as swap for a AUK Buff.