Author Topic: I Phone Text Notification Question.  (Read 1026 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I Phone Text Notification Question.
« on: 14 February, 2018, 06:14:58 pm »
I know nothing about iPhone stuff.

Chum in the pub is considering buying a gizmo that you attach to the tail of a cow that is due to give birth.   Somehow it knows when birthing is imminent and sends a text.
Chum would like text notification to be different from other textsources and to be loud enough to wake him up.

On my android phones you can assign different ring tones but not text notification.
Is this possible on an iPhone?  Can volume also be assigned individually?

No idea which iPhone as he hasn't got it with him, but probably an oldish one.

Ta..
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
Re: I Phone Text Notification Question.
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2018, 06:31:38 pm »
Actually, thinking about it.   Why does it need to send a text?  How come you can't get a dedicated noise maker that it communicates with?   Farmer says not, but I bet you can.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2018, 06:49:21 pm »
In the latest version of iOS* you can set a text tone for a caller, also change the vibrate settings, and also make it an Emergency Bypass, so that it will alert you even if your phone is set to do not disturb.

Make sure the phone number is set up in a contact as a mobile phone, then 'edit' the Contact and click on Text Tone where you can set the options.

*only looking at that one, don't know about earlier iOSs.
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2018, 06:57:50 pm »
Thanks.  He's gone now, but I'll tell him tomorrow

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:27:31 pm »
Actually, thinking about it.   Why does it need to send a text?

It's an extremely cheap, reasonably reliable off-the-shelf way to do long-range radio telemetry without any pesky licencing requirements.  Reliability and latency can be improved by making a silent voice call[1], if you don't care about communicating anything more subtle than "hey, something's up".

How come you can't get a dedicated noise maker that it communicates with?   Farmer says not, but I bet you can.

I bet someone somewhere has molished a device that connects to a GSM network and makes a unholy fuss in response to a given signal.  Actually, that's a phone, isn't it?  Beefing up the robustness of the alert for a given caller/message is the sort of thing you'd do in Tasker, but I bet someone's written an app for that. 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unt.usms&hl=en looks like exactly the sort of thing.  But that's for Android.

[1] I used to have an old Nokia wired up to my car alarm to do exactly that.

« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2018, 02:00:05 pm »
The other advantage of a text is that it can be sent whether or not the recipient's phone is on and connected to the network, and the network will store the text until it can be delivered.

Isn't the simple solution to buy a cheap phone for £10 and tell the cow monitor the number of the cheap phone?
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...