Author Topic: “Tapered” fork in parallel headtube - fork & headset recommendations please.  (Read 2874 times)

I’m pretty sure the answer will be yes but would appreciate some guidance. I have a Genesis Equilibrium disc bike that I’m very happy with, however it has carbon forks bonded to an aluminium steerer. Now I have some time on my hands I’m looking at replacing the fork with a full carbon equivalent.

The fork would need to be suitable for post-mount disc calipers (‘though I believe there are adaptors to allow post mount calipers to be fitted to flat mount forks?) and capable of taking full mudguards (so something with a crown drilling too). I currently run Schwalbe One 28mm on Pacenti SL25’s, or H+ Son. The Genesis fork just allows this with about 2mm clearance. Standard qr’s.

The only suitable replacement I’ve found so far is the Kinesis Tracer 1.5 Disc. I’m sure there are others, but thought I’d stop and ask, as these forks have a tapered steerer. The Genesis has a 1.1/8” headtube.

So recommendations please for a fork and headset combo  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

iow

Re: “Tapered” fork in parallel headtube - fork & headset
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2018, 12:16:38 pm »

The only suitable replacement I’ve found so far is the Kinesis Tracer 1.5 Disc. I’m sure there are others, but thought I’d stop and ask, as these forks have a tapered steerer. The Genesis has a 1.1/8” headtube.

are you sure it a 'suitable replacement'? - I don't think it's possible (with off the shelf converters) to convert a 1 1/8" headtube to accept a 1 1/8" - 1.5" tapered fork.

Well “suitable providing a conversion exists”  :). which was kind of part of the original enquiry.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
The first question is do Genesis do a full carbon fork with a parallel steerer that's compatible?

<EDIT> Looking at the Genesis website the Equilibrium Disc ia fitted with a tapered steerer. Is yours an earlier/different model?

I was recently asked to fit something similar to a Boardman which ran semi-integrated on a parallel steerer. He'd bought a Boardman full carbon tapered fork and I turned the job down as I believed anything that would allow such a fitment would be a bodge.

He came back a week or so later gloating that 'another bike shop' had done the job with off the shelf parts - I still can't fathom that one! - and then complaining the steering felt 'weird'. The larger bottom bearing was in a cup that extended the head tube so the front end was now around 10-12mm taller. I think this changed the castor & camber sufficiently that the bike was less stable when canted over - this assuming the fork was the same length and offset as the original.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mines a 2015 IIRC. It appears tobe parallel. The only marking on the FSA headset is on the bottom race “36 O cartridge”

If its the 2015 model, then it does have a straight steerer, as per https://www.evanscycles.com/genesis-equilibrium-disc-20-2015-road-bike-EV223062

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
Mines a 2015 IIRC. It appears tobe parallel. The only marking on the FSA headset is on the bottom race “36 O cartridge”

Then you need a parallel steerer. I don't think an external cup big enough to accommodate the larger bearing can be made small enough to fit the frame head IYSWIM but I'll stand to be proven wrong...
VELOMANCER

My understanding (after various conversations with LBS about replacing a damaged non-standard 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" tapered fork) is that adapters exist that permit 1 1/8" parallel fork in a tapered head-tube.

I've also seen massively oversized parallel head-tubes (on Reilly designed frames) which would accomodate 1 1/2" parallel steerers, but actually use 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" tapered steerer forks.

But AFAIAA there are no (and cannot be) tapered forks which would fit a head-tube sized for 1 1/8" parallel.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
So if we're all broadly in agreement that without major engineering a taper fork can't fit this frame the next question has to be what is the object of swapping a fork with a bonded alloy crown/steerer for one with a bonded carbon steerer/alloy crown?

Because I think what you're looking for - a parallel steerer, monocoque carbon fork for disc brakes with clearance for mudguards is possibly unobtainable.
VELOMANCER

I was thinking of future-proofing, as, as you note, the type of fork I’m asking about - essentially a full carbon version of what I have - doesn’t seem to exist.

The other possible doubt - the longevity and security of the alu/carbon bond - is being asked about in another thread here.

Thanks for the input guys. I may end up sourcing a later frame with tapered headtube.

I was thinking of future-proofing, as, as you note, the type of fork I’m asking about - essentially a full carbon version of what I have - doesn’t seem to exist.

When I researched forks a couple of years ago, there were a few available that had a straight steerer, fully carbon and would take disks (not sure which mounting type), such as Carver Carbon CX, Woundup Gravel X, Woundup Road Disc.

What I found was that there were actually a lot of fork options available, but they take a while to find.

Of course if you are set on a taper option, then a frameset would probably be your best option.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
FWIW I think the parallel steerer will be around for some time yet and have almost no reservations regards the longevity of fork bonding. Expect manufacturers to introduce a 'fatigue life' or similar if it becomes necessary.
VELOMANCER

Worth a look, thanks Chris.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes

As long as you're aware that is an alloy crown fork...
VELOMANCER

As long as you're aware that is an alloy crown fork...

And is drilled for guards but not a crown mounted light

Chris N

The words 'carbon monocoque' (and the price ;)) imply it's full carbon.  I would expect a fork designed for a standard crown race to have an aluminium collar where the race sits so the image may be misleading.

The full pic seems to show a through hole at the crown for light/guard mounting:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0542/9913/products/C-six_Disc_fork_b332beba-1648-4a3a-86f7-85487e064a71_890x890@2x.jpg

Would be worth checking with Enigma. :thumbsup:

Chris have you changed the link?

I thought it was a Whiskey parts fork you'd linked to? Maybe I'm just losing the plot.

Chris N

:-[  I did, but only a few minutes after first posting it when I realised that the Whisky Parts fork was 400 mm A-C and not suitable for the Equilibrium.

My sanity is a fragile thing  ;D

Ignore my comment about drilling then.