Author Topic: The KFCopalypse  (Read 4131 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The KFCopalypse
« on: 19 February, 2018, 02:55:16 pm »
Only 150 outlets operating out of 900.  They've run out of chicken.  Never mind, there are 101 knock-offs like Southern Fried Chicken and Louisiana Fried Chicken, if you're the kind of family that eats out of a bucket  :sick:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The KFCopalypse
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2018, 02:57:21 pm »
I blame teethgrinder.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2018, 03:02:01 pm »
Him, and the Hound(Warning: link contains some NSFW language.)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 19 February, 2018, 03:17:36 pm »
getting fresh chicken out to 900 restaurants across the country is pretty complex!

er, like, doh!
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 19 February, 2018, 03:43:04 pm »
I thought they could have found floor scrapings and offal anywhere.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8474227.Man_finds_what_he_thought_was_a_brain_in_his_KFC/

That really isn't a kidney, is it?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 19 February, 2018, 03:58:53 pm »
... never ventured into a KFC but my understanding was that the "chicken" was extruded from the raw material on site ?

I have driven past 3 in S Brum today and all had the car park barriered off - presumably no stock.

Rob

« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2018, 04:01:54 pm »
We should be sympathising with the company.

It isn't because they have run out of chicken. It is because DHL can't manage to deliver to the stores. 750 stores have received slips through the doors "we were unable to deliver your pallet of frozen chicken, because nobody was at home to sign for the parcel"
Allegedly
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2018, 05:11:14 pm »

Nah, they've got what's coming to them.

DHL undercut their previous logistics supplier but the bosses at KFC were so greedily focused on increasing their profit margin that they didn't check whether DHL were actually able to fulfil the contract.

And in any case, they should question how it is that DHL can afford to undercut their competitors to that extent - if as I suspect it's because they're paying lower wages and operating poorer working conditions for their employees, it would be immoral to give them the contract anyway.

The free market at its finest.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ben T

« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2018, 05:22:30 pm »
Only 150 outlets operating out of 900.  They've run out of chicken.
Why don't they just plant some more?

ian

« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2018, 05:24:48 pm »
I know I'm a snob, but I did like one of the quoted tweets that was basically OMG KFC closed, but it worked out alright because I went to TGI Fridays instead.

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 19 February, 2018, 05:27:07 pm »
Fortunately, Nando's gets its chicken delivered by Ocado so I have nothing to fear.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11 on: 19 February, 2018, 06:05:45 pm »
Chicken (and most other things) used to be delivered by 3663 when I worked for a store in the mid-2000s. I did wonder if it was a result of the Two Sisters factory in Birmingham being shut down recently, as that was where our chicken used to come from.

I thought they could have found floor scrapings and offal anywhere.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8474227.Man_finds_what_he_thought_was_a_brain_in_his_KFC/

That really isn't a kidney, is it?

It's offal, I wouldn't be able to pin it down to a liver. It's not brainz. Unlike supermarkets, KFC find it cheaper to get the staff to clean the last of the jiblets out from the chicken pieces (stick your finger under the edge of the bone and pull). We used to put people on that job first to see if they could hack it in the kitchen. It's amazing how squeamish many people are.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ian

« Reply #12 on: 19 February, 2018, 06:09:23 pm »
I think as was said at the time: shock horror, dead animal product found to contain dead animal.

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 19 February, 2018, 06:15:43 pm »
I'm no expert on chicken biology, and it's hard to tell the scale from the picture, but it looks too big to be a chicken brain.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14 on: 19 February, 2018, 06:21:25 pm »
Fortunately, Nando's gets its chicken delivered by Ocado so I have nothing to fear.

PoshKFC

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 19 February, 2018, 06:38:42 pm »

PoshKFC

Who are you calling posh?

« Reply #16 on: 19 February, 2018, 07:00:10 pm »
The empty shops will be good practice for Brexit, when the lorries are stuck in a 10 mile queue on the other side of the channel.   

A bad situation for the individual franchise holders though. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 19 February, 2018, 07:12:14 pm »
Minimum cultural awareness points to the BBC for using a black child in their video coverage!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #18 on: 19 February, 2018, 07:22:06 pm »

Nah, they've got what's coming to them.

DHL undercut their previous logistics supplier but the bosses at KFC were so greedily focused on increasing their profit margin that they didn't check whether DHL were actually able to fulfil the contract.

And in any case, they should question how it is that DHL can afford to undercut their competitors to that extent - if as I suspect it's because they're paying lower wages and operating poorer working conditions for their employees, it would be immoral to give them the contract anyway.

The free market at its finest.
Shareholder economy, the only thing that matters in business these days is increasing shareholder value by whatever means necessary. The outsourcing allows you to turn a blind eye to the working conditions of your employees because technically they’re not your employees. The change started in the eighties when the dismantling of the unions also started. Oh, and 'wider shareholding' was encouraged during the sell off of the utilities.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #19 on: 20 February, 2018, 03:26:31 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/20/kfc-was-warned-about-switching-uk-delivery-contractor-union-says

Please tell me people haven't been contacting the police about this ?  :facepalm:  (see inline pic) 

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #20 on: 20 February, 2018, 03:38:42 pm »

« Reply #21 on: 22 February, 2018, 06:00:17 pm »

« Reply #22 on: 22 February, 2018, 06:29:15 pm »
Apparently it's all happening, or not, just up the road here in Rugby.  I have spoken with a few folk who do this sort of warehouse work and they say that the agencies are going off their heads trying to get people up there but DHL are the blocker because they suspect everybody of being an undercover journo.  They want the people but hey don't want the people: catch 22.

The absolute best quote overheard has to be "they're running around like headless chickens..."!   8)  :D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 22 February, 2018, 06:32:16 pm »
Is it at DIRFT?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #24 on: 22 February, 2018, 08:22:55 pm »
They sound a bit plucked to me.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain