Author Topic: Best route to Kennington from Fenchurch Street  (Read 1484 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Best route to Kennington from Fenchurch Street
« on: 23 July, 2018, 07:19:41 am »
Not sure if it's the right place, but.......

Armed with dads Brommy, whats the best route to take to kennington ?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Best route to Kennington from Fenchurch Street
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2018, 07:58:54 am »
Fenchurch St - go west
L onto Gracechurch Street
King William Street
cross London Bridge
Keep following A3 signs (Elephant and Castle roundabout may be "interesting")
arrive Kennington (assuming Kennington Oval station)

... busy but IIRC bus lanes - better than trying to negotiate loads of back streets or going over Tower Bridge

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:09:21 am »
I'd suggest going a bit further west to start with, and picking up CS7 over Southwark Bridge; this has the advantage of avoiding the E&C roundabout. Cycle.travel has something similar here: http://cycle.travel/map?from=London%20Fenchurch%20Street&to=Kennington&fromLL=51.5113281,-0.0774191&toLL=51.717871,-1.2488856

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2018, 10:15:04 am »
Or if you follow CS3 further west and use Blackfriars bridge (CS6), this ride can be done mostly on decent segregated infrastructure. Check out the map here:
https://www.routeplanroll.com

Note that the left turn from CS3 to CS6 actually requires two *right* turns after Blackfriars underpass. And staying on segregated tracks and avoiding Elephant & Castle requires making a non-obvious right-ish turn at St Georges Circus, followed by a left at the next junction.

(that map would be infinitely better if it attempted to show this stuff rather than pretending to be a tube map!)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:18:02 am »
Note that the left turn from CS3 to CS6 actually requires two *right* turns after Blackfriars underpass. And staying on segregated tracks and avoiding Elephant & Castle requires making a non-obvious right-ish turn at St Georges Circus, followed by a left at the next junction.

Alternatively, from CS3 turn right up Puddle Dock (just before Blackfriars Underpass), left on Queen Victoria Street, then cross Blackfriars to turn left on CS6.  I haven't timed/measured the two options, but I prefer my suggestion as I dislike the hairpin required to connect CS3 and CS6. YMMV.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2018, 12:03:11 pm »
Which bit of Kennington?

The E&C suggestion is OK but the diversion around it is a bit slow. I live in the area, and the way I would go is:

Mark Lane (2 way for bikes)
CS3 to Blackfriars Bridge
CS6 to Lambeth Road (by the Imperial War Museum)
Lambeth Road (if I didn't have the kids with me) or use the Pedestrian Crossing then cut through the IWM gardens (with kids)
Kenington Road (bus lane)

If I was in tourist mode I would carry along CS3 all the way to the Houses of Parliament, then:

Millbank
Vauxhall Bridge (segregated cycle lane)
A3024 / Kennington Lane (or Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens, Tyers St, Sancroft St)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2018, 08:29:03 pm »
Thank you everyone.

I've surviver the Elephant and Castle and I'll try the scenic Westminster rout tomorrow, seeings I'm on a mini-break.