Author Topic: Planefinder  (Read 4532 times)

ian

Re: Planefinder
« Reply #25 on: 02 August, 2018, 10:21:39 pm »
The bloke that owns Anne Summers has a helicopter (there's money in them dildos, lad) I think and he lives up the road, it might have been him. Or Black Thunder. I don't believe in rational explanations.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 02 August, 2018, 10:45:00 pm »
Black Thunder Dildos are possibly best sellers.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27 on: 02 August, 2018, 11:00:10 pm »
I’ve jumped (and sort of fallen) out of light aeroplanes, but always with a parachute, I’ve jumped of the top of hills holding onto an aluminium frame attached it a sail, and I’ve flown gliders. For sheer adrenaline I don’t think you can beat skydiving (though wing suit flying looks kind off fun) but the satisfaction of a successful soaring flight in a glider beats every other ‘extreme’ sport I’ve ever done. You get launched into the sky and released at a set high1 and you know the default average glide to earth time. Every minute over that time is down to you using your knowledge and the gliders tech to beat gravity. Taking a glider to 10000 ft just using the air,currents and your ability to read them is stupendous. It’s the most glorious use of time in the world.
I stopped flying when the first of our children was born because it’s not a sport that is conducive to family life and budget2. You have to stay current to be allowed to fly solo, and once you are on an airfield it is very difficult to leave. Maybe a project for my new future, but first I’m going to have to get down to a reasonable flying weight.

1. About 1200ft for a good winch launch with a glide back time of about 5 minutes. An aero tow is typically 2000 to 2500 with glide back time wing about 12 minutes or so. Aero rows were about three times the cost of a winch launch, but had a much better chance of ‘getting away’. But the real advantage to aero tows was when an air condition known as ‘wave’ was occurring you could be towed to a good point for release. But you needed deep pockets to do so.
2. Sport gliding is one of those unusual hobbies that get cheaper the better you get. This is because your launch fee is the expensive part and you have,to pay that regardless of you using your own or a club glider. But if you’re good, then you only need one launch a day and you can have almost as much flying as you want. If you are learning or doing drills then you’ll have two,or three launches a day and not as much air time.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #28 on: 03 August, 2018, 12:20:14 am »
I’ve been a glider once.

It was a winch launch from Swindon.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #29 on: 03 August, 2018, 07:21:57 am »
If you want to stalk gliders then try this site:  http://live.glidernet.org  or this one:  https://glidertracker.de/ 

These work by listening in to their Flarm anti-collision systems rather than the ADSB on the airliner site.  Some other aircraft are also fitted with Flarm so will show up.

There is a gliding competition based at Husbands Bosworth airfield (just south of Leicester) until Sunday.  Provided the current grot clears I suspect that they will be racing around East Anglia later today.  I am not in the competition but intend to chase them in glider 634  :)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #30 on: 08 August, 2018, 09:54:15 am »
I've been following the glidernet site over the weekend and it's brought back lots of memories and is kindling a need to get back behind a joystick again. so thank you for the link and i'll see you on the airfield  :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #31 on: 08 August, 2018, 09:56:48 am »
A Cessna jet darted over my house at about 400 metres yesterday, hung a sharp right turn and zoomed off. Very odd. Planefinder said it came from somewhere near Munich, last seen heading off over the Channel. I assume they changed their minds about Biggin Hill or weren't wanted. It was going full-on.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #32 on: 08 August, 2018, 10:00:17 am »
Well, there's something for the things I have learnt today thread. I didn't know Cessna also made jets.

ian

« Reply #33 on: 08 August, 2018, 10:34:04 am »
I expected see a military fighter given the altitude and speed rather than an executive jet. I guess they remembered they'd booked the cocaine and hookers for Paris and not London. It happens.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #34 on: 08 August, 2018, 02:15:01 pm »
Well, there's something for the things I have learnt today thread. I didn't know Cessna also made jets.

So do Honda.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!