Author Topic: Funding for the Installation of Sheffield Stands?  (Read 631 times)

Funding for the Installation of Sheffield Stands?
« on: 09 August, 2018, 04:17:29 pm »
The GP surgery where I work does not have any cycle provision for patients or staff at all!  They recently concreted the space outside, and that would've been an ideal opportunity to install some Sheffield stands, but they didn't think of it. ::-)

In terms of a nudge, is there any Government funding available for the retro-installation of bike stands?  Does the NHS put its money where it's mouth is, so to speak, when exhorting us to exercise more.  Some Sheffield stands outside the surgery entrance could be quite a hint to the general public... :-\

Re: Funding for the Installation of Sheffield Stands?
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2018, 05:02:37 pm »
My nearest hospital (Whittington, north London, a new build with plenty of space and a huge forecourt) has quite a few bike stands but they are almost always completely full - both sides.  I suspect the vast majority of these are the staff's bikes, which is all fine, but leaves no room for visitors.

In the past I've lobbied my council to get stands installed in other locations, for example outside a re-located main post office.  It was a protracted process!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Funding for the Installation of Sheffield Stands?
« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2018, 06:53:07 pm »
Hospitals seem reasonably keen to install bike parking in an attempt to deal with their car parking problems, I don't suppose that's as much of an issue for GP surgeries.

Birmingham's been undergoing a 'cycle revolution' for the last few years.  One of the more useful parts of that has been the installation of Sheffield stands and Cyclehoops various places, and they've been open to suggestions from the public for ideas of where to put them.

Dunno what funding might be available, but it's likely to be a local thing.