Author Topic: Supplementary "cross levers" with cable disc brakes  (Read 1137 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Supplementary "cross levers" with cable disc brakes
« on: 11 August, 2018, 08:37:22 pm »
I'm helping a friend build a bike to replace the rather tired machine that she has.

Her existing bike has drop bars and Sti levers with the addition of inline cross levers on the top of the drops either side of the stem (as "grab" brakes) - the cable passes through from the Sti lever to the rim brake caliper and braking is is from either pair of levers.   They work fine on the existing machine and I also have them on one of my touring machines without problem.

The new bike will have disc brakes (cable operated) with Tiagra Sti levers  - will the inline cross levers work/be effective if they are fitted?

Rob     

Re: Supplementary "cross levers" with cable disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2018, 08:55:40 pm »
yes, but if they are used regularly (rather than infrequently) then the cable life tends to be a bit less than it would be otherwise; many such levers cause scuffing of the cable.

BTW if the old STIs are a model that was launched pre 2008 then they will have slightly shorter cable pull than modern (post 2008 launch) STIs such as the Tiagra ones (if they are 4600 or 4700). In theory the interrupters ought to vary similarly but I'm not sure that the manufacturers make two different versions.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2018, 08:58:03 pm »
I use cross levers in conjunction with BB5 mtb brakes and they work surprisingly well, I'm guessing they may work even better with a road specific mech disc brake.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2018, 09:03:39 pm »
Once upon a time I made some work with a Hope V-Twin conversion.

Hope said you couldn't but I didn't know that until I'd finished the job.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2018, 12:56:37 pm »
I successfully ran Ultegra STi's with BB7 discs and cross top levers.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2018, 02:30:56 pm »
It might not be clear from the photos but Go Outdoor's Calibre Dark Peak bike has grab levers as well as regular brakes even with mechanical discs. I didn't test them out and find them to look a bit off putting as they'd get in the way of a handlebar bag but it's proof of concept.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-dark-peak-adventure-bike-p347153
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2018, 02:38:38 pm »
Some of the Liv (Giant) women's bikes have them fitted as standard (e.g. https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/liv-invite-womens-2018-road-bike.html).