Author Topic: Power Conditioners  (Read 1286 times)

Power Conditioners
« on: 14 September, 2018, 11:59:49 pm »
We're thinking about this, and while I've got some background from the considerable self-publicity of the vendors, I don't have a conceptual end-state in my head.

Do they do as they claim? And can they be side by side tested with an independent monitoring kit/equipment to nail down power factor and harmonics without relying on the machine making its own claims?

Finally, are there some recognised market leaders and laggers? E.g. Apple/Samsung vs Bill & Ted's excellent mobile Phone Co from China?
Cruzbike V2k, S40

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Power Conditioners
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2018, 02:06:55 pm »
What do you need the conditioner to do?  Remove 'noise' or smooth out voltage variation.

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2018, 10:10:09 pm »
Small data-centre kind of thing. Improve power factor quality, reduce BER, offer resilience to sags and spikes.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:39:39 am »
APC are the biggest name in the business. Pretty ubiquitous in all the DCs I visit. Yes. You can monitor them.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:51:37 pm »
 'APC Domestic' UPS's don't re-power on mains restoration. A USB interface connected  to your NAS/PC gracefully shuts down on mains  failure.

*I have not reviewed this recently...there may be  other auto restore models avaialable.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2018, 11:43:19 am »
Unless you're on an industrial tariff and pay for kVA max demand there's not really any benefit to improving your power factor. It's also unlikely that noise on your incoming mains would cause any issues to your servers.

Are you sure there's a problem that needs fixing?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:24:12 pm »
'APC Domestic' UPS's don't re-power on mains restoration. A USB interface connected  to your NAS/PC gracefully shuts down on mains  failure.

*I have not reviewed this recently...there may be  other auto restore models avaialable.

Some of the small APC UPSes I've used (this was a while ago now) did restore the load when power returned (or it was configurable, I forget).  But what you actually want is for the UPS to sit and charge its battery for a bit *before* restoring the load, otherwise when the power inevitably goes off again a minute or two later, there's no charge left for a clean shutdown.  DAHIKT.

In practice, I found that small APCs would happily sit and cook their battery for a couple of years, then cause a random weekly outage by going on battery as a test, and failing.

I don't know about the data centre scale stuff, that's always been something that other people have been paid to worry about.