Author Topic: Oxford - what to do ?  (Read 2949 times)

Oxford - what to do ?
« on: 10 October, 2018, 09:35:18 pm »
I'm in Oxford at the weekend, and  with Life getting in the way have planned nothing.  I'll be visiting the Ashmolean & would like to walk around & see some of the colleges, but really have no idea where to go.   

I can't really see myself punting, I'd probably fall in.   

All recommendations for culture, beauty, beer & live music most welcome.

Are teddy bears still de rigeur ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Oxford - what to do ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2018, 09:41:54 pm »
The Pitt-Rivers museum is great.

It's at the rear of the Natural Science museum.

Covered markets are nice for a wander.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2018, 10:23:55 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2018, 11:04:01 pm »
That would require a velocipede of some description.   I've not reserved a space for one on the train from Liverpool, and as I'll be travelling light my bolt cutters will not be accompanying me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2018, 11:07:58 pm »
*cough* Mobike *cough*

« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2018, 11:19:22 pm »
*cough* Mobike *cough*

Nasty cough there.... Newly installed double glazing can give rise to all sorts of respiratory problems,  always wise to leave a gap for ventilation

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2018, 12:46:23 pm »
If you're interested in what my highly-esteemed BiL refers to as "Hobbity nonse" then the Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth exhibition comes highly recommended.

If you're not then +1 to the Pitt Rivers museum.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2018, 12:56:01 pm »
The Turf is a nice pub for a drink - a tourist trap to some extent but then most Oxford pubs are. I blame Morse. There's a route for a walking tour here https://freetoursbyfoot.com/self-guided-oxford-tour/

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2018, 02:50:52 pm »
The Botanic Gardens are worth a visit.

« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2018, 03:00:24 pm »
The Turf is a nice pub for a drink...

Food was pretty good too, when I last visited ~2yrs ago.

In addition to museums, St Marys University church has some great views over Oxford, from the tower/base of spire.  History also, re. Oxford martyrs trial.  Access to the tower is ~£4, and last entry ~4.30pm.

See also:  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186361-Activities-Oxford_Oxfordshire_England.html

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2018, 03:02:01 pm »
Go to Didcot, obviously.

« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2018, 04:07:42 pm »
+3 to the Pitt-Rivers and St Mary's church and the Covered Market.
If you fancy a walk, then across Port Meadow to The Trout at Godstow is nice (though probably nicer in summer). Or, once you've finished in the Pitt-Rivers, go round behind the museum and walk around the University Parks and down by the river there.
Colleges tend to be open for a tourists in the afternoon. I think you can do a guided tour round the old parts of the Bodlian Library as well.

« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2018, 04:41:44 pm »
Go to Didcot, obviously.

As part of the Inspector Morse trail, if extra incentive required...  ;)

« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2018, 05:18:35 pm »
Pitt Rivers.

Beer? More traditional options... I haven't been to The Turf for years but it's a bit of an institution. The Bird and Baby The Eagle and Child for a bit of Tolkien/C.S. Lewis history. There's also The Castle which has recently (re)opened - run by Hook Norton brewery.

For wanky pretentious craft beer, Pint Shop is decent. It's a bit studenty but I'm a fan of The White Rabbit (beer and pizza pub). You've also got Tap Social Movement - brewery and social enterprise which has a taproom in Botley (30 min walk from the centre). They also do coffee during the day and usually have a food truck/stall outside and music in the evenings (t' website has the details).

I don't really know about anything else, which says more about me than the town itself...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15 on: 12 October, 2018, 06:10:55 pm »
Also: rooftop restaurant at Ashmolean, punting, afternoon tea at the Parsonage, there’s also a great budget Indian restaurant in Friedswide square and if retail is your thing the Westgate Centre.

« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2018, 06:28:42 pm »
...and if retail is your thing the Westgate Centre.

On avoiding the retail thing, I've still not visited the 'new' Westgate centre.  May one day, at some point...   ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 12 October, 2018, 06:35:51 pm »
Retail Experiences and How to Avoid Them really ought to be a sticky thread.  :demon:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #18 on: 13 October, 2018, 05:31:52 pm »
I think I’ve timed this a bit wrong. Early train via Birmingham , windy & drizzly when I arrive. The YHA is next to the station. My membership card isn’t good enough, photo Id or 2 bank cards please, when did that come in. Dumped the bag & walked into town. Students everywhere in gowns & mortar boards for matriculation, very photogenic, but the colleges are all closed to visitors :-(

In addition my back is playing up, it bothered me the other week, now it’s spasming at awkward moments, so I’m limping around grimacing & swearing.

The homelessness problem seems worse than Liverpool’s, multiple people sleeping on the streets & several tents in St Giles churchyard.

An expensive Full English then I have a wander around the covered market, by now it’s sunny & unseasonably warm, my coat goes in my bag.

I spent most of the afternoon in the Ashmolean, too much to see, and with the back I’m not really enjoying it.

A pint in the (very crowded) Eagle & Child, then another in the Lamb & Flag.  Time to find some food.

« Reply #19 on: 13 October, 2018, 06:33:04 pm »
Pierre Victoire is a nice and reasonable French restaurant near you.   Set menu is very good quality and value

« Reply #20 on: 14 October, 2018, 11:32:56 am »
I ate at a cheapish Dosa place & then had a beer in the Turf. (Lamb & Flag had better stuff).
Today it’s absolutely chucking it down  :(