Author Topic: Has Ecover laundry liquid upped its 'fragrance' quotient?  (Read 3061 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Has Ecover laundry liquid upped its 'fragrance' quotient?
« on: 31 October, 2018, 05:49:17 pm »
Just washed the Snowdon Towers' cotton bedlinen with a new (to me) "concentrated" version of their:

https://www.ecoverdirect.com/products/concentrated-non-bio-laundry-liquid-1-5l-42-washes/econnonbioliq1500ml.aspx?productid=econnonbioliq1500ml

Jeez it stinks so overpoweringly 'fragranced' - and used as directed

Anyone else's nose tarnished?

Re: Has Ecover laundry liquid upped its 'fragrance' quotient?
« Reply #1 on: 31 October, 2018, 07:35:50 pm »
Never used the concentrate, and alway use half the recommended quantity of the normal stuff,so any fragrance is minimal.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2018, 07:55:14 pm »
Ecover always reeks, so I'm impressed if they've made it worse.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2018, 07:55:35 am »
Way back at the beginning of the century Ecover toilet cleaner and floor soap smelled divine*, so much so I seemed to enjoy spending much often time on my knees, but everything was always nice and clean :)

I shall half the amount of this vile concentrate next wash and hope that makes it bearable? Cost bleedin' £10+ too

*somewhat reminiscent of non sweet odours one remembers permeating little corner shops/general stores featuring tall wooden counters and always one creaking floorboard :P

« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2018, 07:59:36 am »
I now buy the eCover non-concentrate in bulk and refill the bottle. 15l for around £30 £50. Interesting Kim notices a scent so much, horses for courses I guess. It does have a scent (slight and minty for me) but I cant smell it on the clothes.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:18:13 am »

Tried it once years back, and threw the rest away.  Clothes came out 'fragranced' of something that to my nose was more reminiscent of old socks than anything remotely pleasant.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:31:41 am »

They have. The normal one isn't fragranced enough to bother me, although it's not up to commuting lycra, but the lavender and sandalwood one is nasty.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 04 November, 2018, 01:21:08 pm »
Hard not to assume it's using 'air freshener' logic.  If stuff with no active chemicals is going to be used to wash clothes at bacteria-incubation temperatures, then the best it can hope for is masking the whiff with something even more stinky.

* Kim exits stage left, pursued by a mob of hippies

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 04 November, 2018, 02:14:16 pm »
I suspect teh Kim has it, as always.

I use Sainsbury's 'Delicates' wash for my delicates and although it's mildly perfumed and does contain a detergent, the stuff still emerges smelling of human.

Anything more gentle would be even stinkier!

« Reply #9 on: 04 November, 2018, 03:41:07 pm »
For those of sensitive smelling-ness, eCover do a “zero” version of the laundry liquid with no perfume. Appears to be the same price. I can’t find it in bulk though.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #10 on: 04 November, 2018, 04:17:32 pm »
Funny that I find this Ecover concentrate laundry liquid so vilely offensive, but happily lather meself everyday in the shower with somewhat pungent Lush "Karma" soap bars ::-)

A few years back I was building a pair of silly light expensive wheels for a local LBS proprietor in his workshop, when in walked a rather thickset, macho Gogledd dry stone waller - the wheel customer, who'd come to see "magic" being custom performed for him personally on the wheel jig. His face morphed from awe to a frown and asked with discomfort and a definitely detected annoyance/shock - "can I smell patchouli in here?" As if there was no place in a "workshop" for such things. I didn't answer cos I'm sure he didn't want to know about the subtleties of the orange and patchouli combination which make up "Karma" soap :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 04 November, 2018, 06:47:23 pm »
I haven't noticed the laundry liquid but I found the new pine & mint aroma bog cleaner quite offensive. Happily the lemon & orange one is better.
I'm finding the Bio D products to be less offensively smelly, not as easy to get hold of though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 04 November, 2018, 06:55:55 pm »
So am I to conclude from this thread that Ecover doesn't actually get your clothes clean?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:27:19 pm »
IMO it's all relative.

I don't think it gets thing clean enough for me but it's probably cleaner than water alone.

« Reply #14 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:28:14 pm »
So am I to conclude from this thread that Ecover doesn't actually get your clothes clean?

I guess it depends on how dirty you are!  ;)

Works for us tho, and at 30 degrees..

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #15 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:57:40 pm »
Ecover isn't what it used to be
https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/home-garden/ecover-and-method-boycott

Try this for full hippie value. Purest Exmoor Aqua
https://greenscents.co.uk/product/laundry-liquid/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:31:57 pm »
Ecover isn't what it used to be
https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/home-garden/ecover-and-method-boycott

That's interesting....
On the Method front I bought some daily shower cleaner which I had to dump because I could taste the smell.  :sick:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:36:13 pm »
If the Ecover itself is still made in the same way, I don't see any point in boycotting it just because it's owned by a company that makes other nastier stuff. If the new owners have changed the formula, working conditions, source of ingredients, etc, then obviously there is point. (I notice they get only 7.5 out of 20 in the Ethical Consumer test.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:51:23 pm »
Discovered I can take any suitable empty container (I'll use the 1.5 litre mineral water bottle I happily didn't throw out from camping) to The Hippy Egg Shop (no, that's not its real name) down the road and fill it up with Bio-D stuff at £quite a lot but not quite as much as Ecover per litre.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #19 on: 05 November, 2018, 05:09:44 pm »
Discovered I can take any suitable empty container (I'll use the 1.5 litre mineral water bottle I happily didn't throw out from camping) to The Hippy Egg Shop (no, that's not its real name) down the road and fill it up with Bio-D stuff at £quite a lot but not quite as much as Ecover per litre.

What's the hit your back of the throat pong/reaction quotient though? ;)

From today I'm no longer a returning Ecover customer (after decades) - for mostly aggressive over pongy reasons, but also those learned from this thread.

My young neighbours were more than happy to take the stinky concentrate Ecover laundry liquid off my hands and nose.

Now what would be a decent, reasonably benign (on as many broad fronts as possible) replacement, I wonder?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 05 November, 2018, 06:44:10 pm »

What's the hit your back of the throat pong/reaction quotient though? ;)
Don't know, haven't got any yet.

From today I'm no longer a returning Ecover customer (after decades) - for mostly aggressive over pongy reasons, but also those learned from this thread.

My young neighbours were more than happy to take the stinky concentrate Ecover laundry liquid off my hands and nose.

Now what would be a decent, reasonably benign (on as many broad fronts as possible) replacement, I wonder?
I'm hoping it would be Eco-D.  :D

« Reply #21 on: 05 November, 2018, 07:15:04 pm »
How about Surcare. There are powder and liquid versions. I started using Surcare washing up liquid to avoid dermatitis caused by Coloured/ prfumed stuff. Then  I started using the clothes washingstuff, to avoid the stink.