Author Topic: Four War Tour  (Read 1338 times)

Four War Tour
« on: 08 December, 2018, 06:37:42 pm »
In previous years I've mostly followed various 'organised' tour routes (Avenue Verte, Lone Cymru etc) but this summer I created my own, the "Four War Tour" taking a 5 day ride starting in Brussels and heading back to Dunkirk via Waterloo, The Somme, Agincourt, Ypres and Passchendaele, and the Dunkirk Beaches.

If that sounds like an interesting ride I wrote about it at:

http://www.richmay.co.uk/four-war-tour/

:-)

Cheers
C.O.

Re: Four War Tour
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2018, 10:40:04 am »
I enjoyed reading that, ta.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2018, 02:39:55 pm »
Nice read on a Sunday afternoon.  I cycled a few of the bits you did back in 2015 I think on The Fridays Low Lands tour.  Thanks for that.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2018, 11:25:25 pm »
Nice write up. I enjoyed riding for a few days in the Somme and Ypres a couplemof years back and certainky agree thatnsome of those cemeteries cna bring a tear to your eye.

« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2018, 07:17:29 am »
Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words :-)

C.O.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 10 December, 2018, 04:25:57 pm »
That was a nicely written account, thanks.

I've cycled over various parts of your route in the past few years, so it brought back a few memories.  One note: My understanding/faint memory of the German war cemetery grave markers is that they marked four, not two graves, with the cross at the centre of the four. I could be wrong though.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2018, 05:04:36 pm »
I enjoyed it as well. I think it's a great idea to have a theme to a tour, or even a ride (I've been known to go it and ride and count how many thatched cottages I could see for example).