Author Topic: Trans Alba Race  (Read 38065 times)

Trans Alba Race
« on: 11 February, 2019, 01:38:52 pm »
I know it's not strictly an Audax, but it is quite long.
I was just wondering if anyone else has been daft enough to enter?
I decided to as, having failed to pre-qualify last year, PBP was looking rather unlikely.
200, check
300, check
400, check
600, not quite
Check later for more exciting updates ;)

Re: Trans Alba Race
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2019, 01:57:40 pm »
Yes.
The train station is only 1.5 miles from my home and I can get 1 train to Edinburgh.
Just need a bargain train ticket now. And to get a few miles in...

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2019, 02:32:36 pm »
https://www.transalbarace.com/
ROUTE
Start: Edinburgh.  Forth Road Bridge, Inverkeithing, St Andrew's,  Dundee, Cairngorms, Inverness, Bealach na ba / Applecross peninsula.
Skye and Mull, Oban, Trossachs, skirt Glasgow, Moffat, Scottish Borders, east to the coast, Duns, home to Edinburgh.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2019, 07:18:10 pm »
There are three ferry crossings. The last twice I have gone to catch a ferry they have been suspended because of wind.

Hope the same does not happen here.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2019, 03:41:13 pm »
I failed to complete my PBP pre-reg rides and thought of this as an alternative but couldn't decide between this, LeJog, or the North Coast 500. Still haven't decided but it'll be between the last two now. anyone mad enough to enter the Pan Celtic? https://www.pancelticrace.com/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2019, 03:55:24 pm »
There are three ferry crossings. The last twice I have gone to catch a ferry they have been suspended because of wind.

Hope the same does not happen here.

BB

CALMAC reserve the right to take the huff if a load of cyclists appear at the slip/pier at once and expect to get across on that sailing...

« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2019, 10:25:38 am »
I failed to complete my PBP pre-reg rides and thought of this as an alternative but couldn't decide between this, LeJog, or the North Coast 500. Still haven't decided but it'll be between the last two now. anyone mad enough to enter the Pan Celtic? https://www.pancelticrace.com/
My husband just sent me a link to the Pan Celtic Race. Given that he's never done an Audax and the furthest he's cycled in one go is 224 miles, I want to know what was in his coffee this morning...

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2019, 10:36:17 am »
The riders set off not long ago and according to the tracker are currently in Fife. Will be interesting to see how they get on in the Cairngorms later today.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2019, 10:59:22 am »
I came along to see if anyone had posted about this here and discovered that I've already posted on the thread about it...
Anyway the tracker is here:
https://www.transalbarace.com/tracker

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:01:06 pm »
Slightly confused by riders 9 and 10, there's not many valid reasons to hang around Cowdenbeath or Cardenden...

I'd thought they may have made it to Dundee by lunch time, but I hadn't allowed for the time it takes to get along the Dryside and balcony roads.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2019, 02:34:40 pm »
Leading riders are in Dundee now, presumably after a lunch stop?

Riders 9 & 10 I presume had a mechanical issue to deal with? No.9 rode from Cowdenbeath to just south of Dunfermline, and back again. Maybe getting spare parts? They're well behind now, but no reason they can't finish if they get No.10 up and running again...
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2019, 03:37:13 pm »
First rider has reached Coupar Angus. Nearly at the 100 mile mark after 6.5 hours...
Embrace your inner Fred.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2019, 03:51:14 pm »
Leading riders are in Dundee now, presumably after a lunch stop?

Riders 9 & 10 I presume had a mechanical issue to deal with? No.9 rode from Cowdenbeath to just south of Dunfermline, and back again. Maybe getting spare parts? They're well behind now, but no reason they can't finish if they get No.10 up and running again...

Ah yes, 9's gone to Leslie bike shop and back

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2019, 03:58:38 pm »
7 hours in and first rider has done over 100 miles.

This event's shaping up quite nicely so far.
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #14 on: 01 July, 2019, 08:20:01 pm »
Leading riders are past the 150 mile mark now. Riders 9 & 10 seem to have resolved their issue and are on the move as lanternes rouges.
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #15 on: 01 July, 2019, 11:06:37 pm »
Lead rider has passed Grantown-on-Spey and is heading for the 200 mile mark. Pretty impressive given all the climbs on the way there!
Embrace your inner Fred.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2019, 12:06:17 am »
Lead rider has passed Grantown-on-Spey and is heading for the 200 mile mark. Pretty impressive given all the climbs on the way there!

Yeah, it's pretty good going, while the long climb to Kelty is a pain it's the short steep ones in North Fife such as the Cadgers that hurt and a bit of gratuitous climbing around St Andrews before tackling the Knapp out of the Carse of Gowrie; setting up nicely for the BHes and the Lecht which have similar steep ramps but go on an awful lot longer, oh and Bridge of Brown; the Cairnwell was probably the gentlest of the day, it's at least doable with a moderate sustained effort.

The location of the trackers at Braemar SYHA is interesting, but I'd better not say why.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #17 on: 02 July, 2019, 02:09:44 am »
The first rider has reached the centre of Inverness, at 2am. Three others not far behind.

Crazy stuff.
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #18 on: 02 July, 2019, 10:41:35 am »
Steve Abraham has now taken the lead on day two. Heading towards the 320 mile mark and on to Tongue.

I suppose after the Year record attempt, this is relatively simple for him... :D
Embrace your inner Fred.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 02 July, 2019, 01:16:48 pm »
I didn't identify a sleep stop for Steve A when I was clicking on his track, just on Loch 'Oribble now!

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #20 on: 02 July, 2019, 01:29:11 pm »
Yes, he seems to have just ridden through the night and into the next day. Maybe he got a micro-snooze somewhere in the Cairngorms?
Embrace your inner Fred.

Phil W

« Reply #21 on: 02 July, 2019, 01:31:36 pm »
Nicky Shaw in second place.  Going well as well.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #22 on: 02 July, 2019, 01:37:07 pm »
Last night's leader, Tom Leeuwen, currently in fifth place, seems to have managed a decent sleep stop in Inverness as well.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out tomorrow. Steve and Nicky will have to sleep at some point...
Embrace your inner Fred.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #23 on: 02 July, 2019, 01:37:25 pm »
Yes, he seems to have just ridden through the night and into the next day. Maybe he got a micro-snooze somewhere in the Cairngorms?

I've always suspected that Steve is able to sleep one eye at a time and therefore never get off the bike.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #24 on: 02 July, 2019, 01:50:19 pm »
At the other end of the field, I note riders 9 & 10 are no longer back markers. I'm intrigued to see how they get on today.
Embrace your inner Fred.