Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 866224 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5425 on: 11 August, 2018, 10:49:59 pm »
Today was waterproof jacket shopping day. First call was Evans HQ where I finally tracked down a suitable offering from Altura that didn't have too much in the of reflective stuff. However they didn't have my size. Second call was Halfords. What's this? An Altura something or other in my size and nice colour. Sixty quid? Hmm, but it's on the rail marked 30% off and I have ctc discount  card.  Wander over to the till, where the nice lady scans it, frowns, gets out phone, scans it again, pokes at her phone and says she's no good at mental arithmetic.  Now clever clogs here has worked out that 30% of 60 quid is 18 quid, so it'll be 42 less ctc discount. But she's saying the discount is 12.60. I start to explain that 30% is 18 quid to be interrupted with her saying 30% of 42 is 12.60.

I think the till automatically dedeuted 30% then she did it again. That's 51% discount. It would be pushing my luck to ask for the ctc discount , so paid for my HALF PRICE jacket and left.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5426 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:53:22 am »
A Rapha cap in the sale.  It fits rather well.  I'm still grieving for my 1992 Lotto team cap (peak broken in several places) that I lost at the end of some Dun Run or other.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5427 on: 17 August, 2018, 08:02:23 am »
Have a look at the prendas website, a few lotto caps for sale

« Reply #5428 on: 17 August, 2018, 11:31:57 am »

Three more of these. They don't make the Sora, Tiagra, or 105 versions any more, so have to
buy the Ultegra ones instead.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5429 on: 17 August, 2018, 05:16:14 pm »
Have a look at the prendas website, a few lotto caps for sale
It has to be the grey 1992 one, or it's not lucky.  One came up NOS on fleabay a few months back but went for way over the odds.

« Reply #5430 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:44:44 pm »

Three more of  They don't make the Sora, Tiagra, or 105 versions any more, so have to
Can you not use a sram one?  About half the price, maybe not the exact ratios, I think 12-26 is the nearest.

« Reply #5431 on: 17 August, 2018, 09:37:37 pm »

Three more of  They don't make the Sora, Tiagra, or 105 versions any more, so have to

Can you not use a sram one?  About half the price, maybe not the exact ratios, I think 12-26 is the nearest.
I'm after a certain gear ratio: 13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27/30. The 12-27 is : 12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27

With the 12-27 I remove the 12/13, add a 13 no.1 sproket with lockring, and a (hard wearing) Highpath Engineering 30t
sproket at the other end. The 13 and 30 don't see as much use as the middle sprokets, so can be used in a subsequent
cassettes (without any shifting issues).

rogerzilla

« Reply #5432 on: 20 August, 2018, 08:31:58 pm »
Some stainless 5/16 x 26tpi bolts for old fork lamp bosses.  I only need one but I reckon I can sell the rest as bike-specific parts.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5433 on: 22 August, 2018, 06:29:28 pm »
A massively expensive Van Nicholas Ti seat-post.

Rob

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5434 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:42:54 pm »
A Handlebar bag, mount, straps and add on pod from Alpkit to go on the "Off Road/Rough stuff camping" bike.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #5435 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:44:15 pm »
Is this cycling stuff?

Where from, How much and How many X's do they go up to in Sizes?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5436 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:24:54 am »
Ooh, Sir! Me, too Sir...!!!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5437 on: 25 August, 2018, 12:05:28 pm »
Not bought as such, but involving the exchange of money for bikes: Argos have finished the Harry Quinn track bike (with extra fork).  It's going to look stunning, I'm sure.  Need to make sure this week's 30 mile after work ride is a flat one, since it'll be the last one before we need lights.

« Reply #5438 on: 25 August, 2018, 02:42:05 pm »
Is this cycling stuff?

Where from, How much and How many X's do they go up to in Sizes?

Similar ones here: http://uk.apresvelo.com/Products/men/t-shirts/original-search-engine-s-m?country=uk#9955874

Though not quite the same, as the one in Ham's post as a diamond frame and the one in the link has a dropped top tube...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5439 on: 28 August, 2018, 01:26:16 pm »
Zefal 1.7 l saddle-bag so that I can shove in a waterproof as well as the puncture kit without having to burden myself with a Carradice.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5440 on: 28 August, 2018, 08:21:17 pm »
Sadly, not for me. To be honest I'd not manage to get far on it round here anyways.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5441 on: 29 August, 2018, 08:29:24 pm »
new cartridge BB and removal tool for the runabout.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #5442 on: 30 August, 2018, 12:58:21 am »

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5443 on: 30 August, 2018, 01:11:30 am »
Overshoes and a GPS mount, both Poste Restante to a post office 1000 km ahead of me in the Yukon.  Let's see if I manage to collect them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5444 on: 30 August, 2018, 04:07:24 am »
Overshoes and a GPS mount, both Poste Restante to a post office 1000 km ahead of me in the Yukon.  Let's see if I manage to collect them.

Ooh, whereabouts?

<== Was there a couple of days ago and will be back on Saturday/Sunday
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5445 on: 30 August, 2018, 05:49:48 am »
One of these:

and some self extracting crank bolts:
SPA CYCLES Self Extracting Crank Bolts

« Reply #5446 on: 30 August, 2018, 12:51:11 pm »

« Reply #5447 on: 30 August, 2018, 01:00:08 pm »
A Token "thread through" BB for the Domane. It's a similar design to the Hope PF41 I have on my Argon 18, where the two halves thread together in the centre - supposed to stop the dreaded PF BB creaks! The Hope one works pretty well, so lets hope (pun not intended) the Toke does the job on the Trek.

https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/20-ninja/470-bb3724

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5448 on: 30 August, 2018, 06:29:28 pm »
Delivered today, 2 pairs of Assos shorts (because I'm worth it).
One of which are this year's new model with pink chamois, the other are the old model with blue chamois.
My efforts to find the really old model with the orange chamois failed.

So the new pink chamois. Some boffin at Assos has developed the Golden Gate chamois which involves the great wheeze of not stitching the mid section of the chamois to the shorts: https://roubaixcycling.cc/2016/06/04/assos-s7-bibshorts-equipe-v-cento-game-changer/
But, surely having things free to move around means more likelihood of chafing ???

So, having washed and worn the pink ones 3 times on holiday this fortnight here is what I have to report thus far:
+ the chamois didn't move and caused no chafing. How this will continue as the shorts age I dunno.
- whether the point above is in part due to the shorts being an *extremely snug fit* I don't know. Same size as the old models but rather harder to get into.
- they have a stupid pointless seam (a triumph of design over function) at the front of the leg cuff. Despite feeling no chafing here during wear it has resulted in skin rub and I now have scabs on my thighs.
- they have a lowered waist band. Probably lovely if you're a size XS but not so great if you have a big belly.
+ bum was happy even if nothing else was.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #5449 on: 31 August, 2018, 03:22:26 pm »
Ordered a SP dynamo hub for lacing into a 20" front wheel. Or, more realistically, taking existing wheel and new Hub from this place to another place where it shall be Fettled by the hand of Torslanda until it is Sorted.