Author Topic: Parking for Herne Hill  (Read 1882 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Parking for Herne Hill
« on: 01 April, 2010, 10:39:40 am »
Mrs JT and I might pop down to the Good Friday meeting at Herne Hill velodrome tomorrow and I was wondering where might be a suitable (and safe) place to park the car before walking or using public transport for the last bit.

Any ideas?
a great mind thinks alike

Re: Parking for Herne Hill
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2010, 12:49:57 pm »
Most of the roads around the velodrome are quiet and residential with predominately uncontrolled parking.

The entrance to the velodrome is at it's south end, from Burbage road.

Part of the problem is that to the south of the velodrome  there aren't that many roads - much of the land being occupied by schools and sports fields, the other part of the problem is that being so close to Poashe Dulwich Village, many houses have two or more vehicles and not all of them have driveways / paved over gardens.

I regularly travel along Winterbrook and Stradella roads to the west of the velodrome, and don't recall these being totally jammed with parked motors. On the day of the meet that might be different.

North of Half Moon Lane is mostly multiple occupancy semis - so finding parking there might be tricky.

I live a couple of miles away - you're welcome to park outside my place, but the public transport connection isn't fantastic - you'd walk it in as much time as TfL advise  using public transport. PM me if you'd like the number of a local mini - cab firm.

It may be the case that one of the adjacent sports grounds rent out some parking space - but I cannot see anything to that effect on the Good Friday Meeting website.

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2010, 06:15:22 pm »
YACF meet at Herne Hill?

Note that the Rollapaluza roller racing national series Grand Finale is at the Half Moon pub from 7pm tomorrow (just round the corner).

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2010, 08:16:54 pm »
We drove up a couple of years ago, then felt really envious of all the cyclist riding to the velodrome whilst we sat in a traffic jam  :(
Parking wasnt as much of a problem we thought it might have been for London.