Author Topic: A fixed rider admiration thread  (Read 19509 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: A fixed rider admiration thread
« Reply #50 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:09:22 pm »
I wonder if anyone has tried using a real drag brake on a fixed in hilly terrain.  It'd be rather heavy, but I must say I've sometimes wished I had one when descending in the dark where I regularly commute near Bristol.
I think the weight would go against the stripped-down lightweight ethos.  The only brake suitable for dragging is an Arai drum (discs aren't recommended, as they can get so hot that they warp or break).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #51 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:30:33 pm »

I wonder if anyone has tried using a real drag brake on a fixed in hilly terrain. 

I've seen a photo somewhere of an early 20thC German touring bike with a sprag brake that could be lowered to the ground. It would presumably work less well on modern tarmac.

« Reply #52 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:52:58 pm »
Anvil on a piece of string... ooh, that's a good idea! :D

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #53 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:14:35 pm »
 Lizzie have you considered the Pearson Touche or their cheaper steel version?
"Don't stop pedalling"

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #54 on: 07 June, 2008, 11:11:35 am »
Don't worry its made of On-Ones super solid, idestructo, gas piping steel tubing. Nothing harms it!  offer's there if you want it!

Thanks Aidan  :)
Hill Slug

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #55 on: 07 June, 2008, 11:13:50 am »
Lizzie have you considered the Pearson Touche or their cheaper steel version?

I have, yes, but prefer the sloping top tube look of the Spesh, to be honest.

By the way, will the Langster take mudguards?

:)
Hill Slug

« Reply #56 on: 07 June, 2008, 11:33:28 am »
No it won't (you can use Race Blades); but it is IMO the best pacakage you can get around -- it is a lovely light and responsive bike (I haven't ridden the Pearson though).
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #57 on: 07 June, 2008, 12:15:48 pm »
Going fixed is like going clipless. When you take the plunge and get the hang of it you'll wonder what the fuss was about.

« Reply #58 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:16:45 am »
No it won't (you can use Race Blades); but it is IMO the best pacakage you can get around -- it is a lovely light and responsive bike (I haven't ridden the Pearson though).
I managed to get proper guards on mine with the stock tyres...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #59 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:21:46 am »
Going fixed is like going clipless. When you take the plunge...

Possibly a poor choice of phrase there.

alan

« Reply #60 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:50:53 am »

AC

That's very interesting Andy.Could you give us the details or even pics of how you have done it?
TIA

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #61 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:15:46 pm »

« Reply #62 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:18:01 pm »

AC

That's very interesting Andy.Could you give us the details or even pics of how you have done it?
TIA

Probably the ziptie method from here:-

Mud guards and close clearances
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #63 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:24:47 pm »

AC

TIA

Using run of the mill SKS full guards, I used the rear brazings for the support arms, popped the brake caliper off and on for the top bracket and used a pair of zip ties to make the fixing at the bottom of the seat tube.  I made sure the tension on the support arms was such that there was no tyre rub before the final tightening and that's job done.

The front I didn't bother with due to the fat down tube, but it looked do-able, just laziness on my part.

No photos I'm afraid as the guards are currently residing on our bling tandem, but I'll probably buy some new ones for the Langster come the Autumn and do the same again.

I have some race blades, but given their tendency to slip didn't fancy trying them on the fixie where I'm a little paranoid of anything rubbing on the drive wheel...

AC

« Reply #64 on: 09 June, 2008, 04:41:45 pm »
My Race Blades don't slip and have never touched on the wheel on either the Langster or my track bike for the matter.

Interesting work Andy. A picture next winter would be useful! The stock Specialized tyres are 25mm if I remember well too.

« Reply #65 on: 09 June, 2008, 05:20:50 pm »
My Race Blades don't slip and have never touched on the wheel on either the Langster or my track bike for the matter.

Interesting work Andy. A picture next winter would be useful! The stock Specialized tyres are 25mm if I remember well too.

Yes, 25mm Specialized Mondos (nice tyres actually).  I've had issues with race blade slippage on my audax bike, hence the trepidation.  The one thing I do find with the fixie is that things do tend to shake loose on it over time, although luckily the 300km I did at the weekend passed without a problem, so the new torque wrench is proving useful...

AC

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #66 on: 09 June, 2008, 05:28:50 pm »

the 300km I did at the weekend

Precisely the reason I started this thread - 300km on a fixed  :o
Hill Slug

Chris S

« Reply #67 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:33:10 pm »

300 on fixed is not that much different to 300 on gears, unless stupidly hilly, stupidly windy, or both.

I did a 300 on fixed on Saturday, with about 2000m of ascent (concentrated in the middle 80km), and 100km of Fenland headwind, and if I can manage it, pretty much anyone can...

« Reply #68 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:13:07 pm »

I should qualify that.  I didn't ride 300 at once (well not this time anyway).  I'm lucky enough to only work a 4 day week these days, so used Friday for a gentle-ish 10 hour/200km ride.  After a night's kip and a hearty meal, I then rode a 100km Audax at a very sociable speed on stiff legs before returning home via car.

I did do a proper 300km ride earlier in the year though, which was a bit of a mission.

I doubt I'll be tackling anything longer on the fixie this year.

AC

« Reply #69 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:01:24 am »
A fixed is a *normal" bike Liz!!

I liked the Mondos, but they cut easily unfortunately. Back to Continentals for me.

« Reply #70 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:31:56 am »
If anything I'm finding long distance stuff easier on fixed than I am on gears (up to the point where it's hilly enough for AAA points I should add, although I think I may be looking at fixed AAA sometime next year...).

I find I just get on with the ride rather than taking it too easy spinning away in too low a gear.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frere yacker

« Reply #71 on: 10 June, 2008, 05:26:46 pm »
Having recently done 600km on fixed, I can easily say I will never do more than 300km on fixed after this weekend (when I do a 400km to get what will be my one and only Fixed SR).  Fixed is fun, but you can definitely have too much of a good thing.

Strangely, it is the descending that I enjoy least - spinning at 150+rpm for more than 10 mins or going down a 20% hill at full pelt, getting cramp in your thighs or twinges in your back, isn't the best.  I'd rather freewheel thanks awfully.

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #72 on: 10 June, 2008, 05:35:40 pm »
Having recently done 600km on fixed,.

Now it's getting silly  ;D
Hill Slug

« Reply #73 on: 10 June, 2008, 06:58:15 pm »

Having recently done a couple of 600s on fixed...

(TG will be along shortly with the winning bid)

« Reply #74 on: 10 June, 2008, 07:51:18 pm »

Having recently done a couple of 600s on fixed...

(TG will be along shortly with the winning bid)

Yes, I agree it's all getting very silly.
So stop playing at it.
Anyone up for a 1000k on fixed starting on the evening of June 20th.

I'll let Charlotte off, cos she'll be doing an even longer ride than me. (the jammy madam)