Author Topic: Fuji Track owners  (Read 5965 times)

Fuji Track owners
« on: 15 June, 2008, 05:04:40 am »
Any Fuji track owners out there in the 6'1"-6'2" size range?

I think it's about time I gave this fixie lark a bash and I'm liking the look of the 2008 Fuji Track which is within my budget.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with these frames and could tell me if they come up feeling a little short as I was a bit confused by the sizing recommendations on their site. For instance they suggest a 61 frame (59 top tube) for people 6' and over which seems a little long IMO considering the 120 stem it comes supplied with.

Unfortunately nobody seems to stock them up here in Edinburgh so trying them out isn't an option (unless any fellow jocks on here have one I can have a bash on). I'm just under 6'2" and currently riding a 58.5 top tube with 110 stem which is about spot on.

Feel free to ignore me, I know how tedious these 'what size' threads can be, but any experience or views would be gratefully appreciated.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Fuji Track owners
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:37:15 am »
I'm just under 5'11" and riding the 54cm (21") frame.  I have a long seatpost and the cowhorn bars are very low (6" drop wouldn't be an exaggeration), but the position is right for TTs with aero bars.  In terms of reach, I have a 10cm stem.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:45:46 am »
I am 6'2" but don't own a Fuji. I ride frames from 58-60cm, I wouldn't go any larger or smaller. Don't worry too much about the stem length, it can be changed. You have a bike now ? and it's comfortable ? Measure the saddle nose offset from the BB centre, measure the handlebar distance from the saddle nose.  Keep these distances the same on the new bike. NB on two of my bikes I have 130mm stems.

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:06:14 pm »
I'm 6'2" and had the 61cm frame. I found it fine for size, not too long. All my other bikes are pretty much similar to this in size too. What's the difference to the next size down?

« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2008, 07:54:40 pm »
Size down has a 57 top tube, which is similar to my current commuter which is great for blasting round town but can feel a little short when riding on the flats of the bars, which I guess is where I'll be spending most of my time on the Fuji as I'm planning on fitting cross levers instead of regular drop bar brakes with hoods.

I'm sure both would fit just fine with a change of stem, just need to decide whether it's best to have a smaller frame with the shorter head tube (therefore bigger drop to the bars) or go for the larger one and its more comfortable bar height but on which I may be cutting it close on the standover clearance.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2008, 07:56:29 pm »
Smaller.  You can get a stem with some rise, unless you're a total fashion victim.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:12:57 pm »
But I am fashion victim. :-[ :-[ :-[

I see your point though.

Just propped my bike up on some books to get a similar standover and it may not be as close as I thought. Can still bend my knees a little and get two fingers in there. Then again for hammering round town scaring cagers smaller might be better.

I think I'm just going to have to try and get a shot on one or at least something similar sized.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2008, 09:34:06 pm »
I'm 6'1", my Fuji Track is a 58cm size.

Do I look stupid on it? Only other forum members can comment.   :-\

Is is comfortable and does it feel right? Yes!

An excellent bike for the money!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2008, 05:07:02 pm »
I've got a fixed frame in your size for sale :thumbsup:

Rapples

« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:59:37 pm »
I like you decided to give fixed a go 2 years ago and went round in circles trying to decide. Pompino (heavy) - Fuji (cheap as chips) / Pearson (over budget) / Bianchi (pretty) / Pompino (good allrounder) / Langster 2006 (just didn't like it hard as I tried)

Ended up with Bianchi great fun, but they all would have been 8)

Given the decision again I would go for the Pearson Touche budget permitting, but the Scot in me would plump for this

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Langster

More beautiful for less money, and if you check the geometery I think the measurements for a 58cm are nearly spot on ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:14:34 pm »
I was particularly taken by the look of the 1980 Carlton ;) ;D
Getting there...

Rapples

« Reply #11 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:22:16 pm »
Certainly if you have the parts lying around the best option, but it doesn't take long at the LBS or internet site to run up a bill close to the cost of a Fuji

« Reply #12 on: 17 June, 2008, 12:20:23 pm »
I like you decided to give fixed a go 2 years ago and went round in circles trying to decide. Pompino (heavy) - Fuji (cheap as chips) / Pearson (over budget) / Bianchi (pretty) / Pompino (good allrounder) / Langster 2006 (just didn't like it hard as I tried)

Ended up with Bianchi great fun, but they all would have been 8)

Given the decision again I would go for the Pearson Touche budget permitting, but the Scot in me would plump for this

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Langster

More beautiful for less money, and if you check the geometery I think the measurements for a 58cm are nearly spot on ;)

I've been doing the same 'first fixie' dance for about 2 years as well and came to exactly the same conclusions as you. Came >< this close to getting a Bianchi Pista, then a Kona Paddywagon and in the end spent about £1500 building up a Kinesis KiC2 instead. :-[  Was never keen on the look of the Fuji but the new one is damn nice looking IMO and a track bike would be nice as Meadowbank is closing for good in September (I think) so it may be my last chance to give it a shot.

I would like nothing better than to take an old frame and build it up. Seen some lovely 531 track frames on ebay over the last month or so, and that frame of Phils looks lovely. Unfortunately my box of bits isn't as big as most and like Rapples says even scouring ebay for cheap parts I'd probably still spend close to the measly £350 I have spare. In fact 'spare' is an bit of an overstatement. I will probably have to sell a few bits and bobs. Look out for a carbon frame coming to a classified section near you. :D

« Reply #13 on: 17 June, 2008, 12:33:42 pm »
as Meadowbank is closing for good in September so it may be my last chance to give it a shot.

Are you sure it's this September :-\

I race there on a tuesday night, I thought we were getting at least another year ???

« Reply #14 on: 17 June, 2008, 12:37:41 pm »
Sorry, I was just assuming that because the open sessions end in September that would be it. I haven't heard anything for sure so it's quite possible I'm wrong. Would be nice to get another year.

« Reply #15 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:02:26 pm »
BTW, pearson cycles are doing Langster frames for £99 at the moment.

« Reply #16 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:04:30 pm »
For me the best of the lot, if you want a light, fast fixie is the Langster. Esp. at £99 a frame!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #17 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:17:42 pm »
Yeh, but its the brown one. :sick: And they only have them left in a 49cm by the looks of things. Not sure I'd be allowed it on the track either. It will spend most of its time on the road but it would be nice to have the option of taking it to Meadowbank.

« Reply #18 on: 17 June, 2008, 03:57:29 pm »
I have a brown one in the stable, as well as a Pomp and a semi-custom track none. The Langster rides well. Very well. It is light and stiff.

No this version is not track legal I understanbd. You'd need the black one for this, a different geometry.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse