Author Topic: Why fixie chains are noisy  (Read 3170 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Why fixie chains are noisy
« on: 29 June, 2008, 09:33:14 pm »
I think it's finally dawned on me.  Let's say (hypothetically of course) that I fitted a 16T freewheel to the other side of a flip-flop hub for a rider who is absolutely no relation to me and never intends to use it anyway, unless one of his legs falls off towards the end of the Dun Run.

This is a good quality Shimano freewheel - not your £3 Halfrauds jobbie - and yet it still has the characteristic wobble when freewheeling that every other freewheel and freehub ever made shows.  This, I think, is why even a new track chain runs quietly on a freewheel - that slop means it's moving to engage the chain smoothly.  A fixed cog cannot move at all - it's screwed tight against the shoulder of the hub threads - so it needs to wear into the chain, and vice-versa.  Perfect chainline helps, but the freewheel is always going to be quieter with new components.

Is this a design feature or serendipity?  Who knows.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Why fixie chains are noisy
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:36:21 pm »
What's a "good quality" freewheel? O:-)

rogerzilla

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:38:44 pm »
What's a "good quality" freewheel? O:-)

Something that costs more than a fiver.

A White Industries one is £60 (£70 for the super-duper version), but that's getting silly.

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:32:43 pm »

Air Dancer

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:00:25 am »
That'll be a good "running clearance" that be.  ;D

bobajobrob

« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:04:39 am »
I don't think the Shimano freewheels are very good quality. They only have 2 pawls, not that that's a bad thing in itself, but something like an ACS claw has 4. Shimano and ACS are both cheap stamped jobs.

As for chainline, mine's as near as can be but I still get a racket from my 3/32 EAI, and have done since new. I noticed the same noise coming from Crumbing Nick's EAI on Saturday and his chainline looked good too.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:13:02 pm »
Um...my fixie is as quiet as can be.  Thanks to it's builder, of course - I've not fettled it ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:48:06 pm »
All 1/8 or 3/32 are quiet compared to inch pitch!

rogerzilla

« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2008, 06:40:54 pm »
All 1/8 or 3/32 are quiet compared to inch pitch!
My Fuji is pretty much silent now, but the Frankendale still rattles like a good 'un.

« Reply #9 on: 02 July, 2008, 05:50:29 pm »
Am now running a half-link chain on my track bike and it's certainly more quiet than the 1/8th I had on there before.