Author Topic: Building my second fixed  (Read 2452 times)

Building my second fixed
« on: 04 July, 2008, 04:29:54 pm »
I had one before, the frame was a little bit crash damaged, but I loved it.

So the bike shop next door has some track frames arriving soon, 300euro drilled for a front brake. 120mm spacing in the rear.
Providing the frames look good, i'm thinking of pairing it with goldtec/open pro wheels and a sugino 75 crank and drop bars etc.

I imagine that the forks are ahead type so no pretty quil stems :(

Or am I mad to consider running a track frame on the road??

Re: Building my second fixed
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2008, 04:41:13 pm »
Or am I mad to consider running a track frame on the road??

Not really, they are ten to a penny in London. There's a fair share of pursuit frames too amongst the couriers.

Not my cup of tea really. Function over form for me.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2008, 04:45:27 pm »

Not really, they are ten to a penny in London.

Not my cup of tea really. Function over form for me.

Quite

Maybe Ok in London - I'd not ride one on the roads here.  In fact I have a bona fide track bike, and it is just too much of a handful on rural roads

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2008, 04:46:48 pm »
its more lack of choice to be honest. he has some horizontal dropout steel frames, but they are all colnago, botteccia (sp?), pinarello frames and about 500/600 euro.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2008, 04:58:46 pm »
I ride my old bike as a TT bike now. I rode it on the roads okay before, but its response and positions are a bit more extreme than a normal road bike. I love that frame though.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Jakob

« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2008, 05:22:54 pm »
I run a track frame and it's not an issue.

« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2008, 05:38:56 pm »
I forgot to say that I'm living in germany, so its a little more difficult to source a frame, and I want something more racey than touring.

If I go for one of these frames, is goldtec the best optoin for the hubs (I don't want to spend any more) or is there a cheaper and equally durable choice?

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2008, 06:26:43 pm »
Goldtec are very good. If you want cheaper and good, look at P-X hubs. I run both and am happy with both.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2008, 06:29:45 pm »
Almost any of the modern budget hubs with sealed bearings are good - On-One/Planet-X, Kogswell, SystemX.  I suspect many of them come from the same factory :)

Avoid anything no-name and anything budget with cup'n'cone bearings and you'll be fine.

The On-One hubs for example - you can get them for £15 in their sale from time-to-time, and IMO they perform just as well as Goldtec.