Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 126285 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #600 on: 17 December, 2018, 02:02:50 am »
I am off to Canazei at the end of this week. The Sella Ronda is one of the best places to go for early skiing. They have a magnificent artificial snow making capability.  A few years ago in a very bad year almost every piste was open with wide and deep artificial snow. It looked really odd in places where you could see a mesh of pistes with no snow off piste.  Looking at the Val Gardena down hill on Sasslong Saturday and Sundays Giant Slalom on Gran Risa in Alta-Badia there in no need for that much snow making this year.  snow-forecast promises more

I bought myself a new pair of skis. I am not a racer or do much off piste so I buy non race piste skis. I bought a Fischer Progressor F19 Ti. It has most of the features of the racier skis without racy prices. I considered buying the GS version of the Fischer Curv family. Fischer Curv are essentailly race skis that are illegal under current race regulations. (Too high a carving plate angle, not allowed). XSpo.de is a cheaper than average place to buy skis.

My booked trips

Canazei - Christmas 2018
Kitzbuhl - January 2019
Les Arc - March 2019

« Reply #601 on: 17 December, 2018, 07:16:52 am »
The Sella Massif area is glorious. We went to Arabba many years in a row and are itching to go back.
Rust never sleeps

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #602 on: 17 December, 2018, 10:19:02 pm »
This is the ski I chose

https://www.fischersports.com/progressor-f19-ti-140?number=A09318.9002972288579&c=162

170cm

It amuses me that Fischer have not realised yet that most native English speakers see the name Progressor and assume that they are beginners skis. Progressor refers to the dual radius design. I know the low numbered Progressors are for learners/children but the high numbers are not.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #603 on: 29 December, 2018, 02:47:08 am »
Back in Breckenridge, and it's proper cold with fresh powder.
The access gates to the Snow White bowls have never been open on any of my previous visits, but they are now.

This pic is my brother being guided down by his daughter, as we watch from the bottom. They are the small dots in the middle centre.
As usual, the pics don't do justice  to the terrain.
Getting into the bowl involves a jump off the cornice at the top, which is a little intimidating.

Snow White by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #604 on: 30 December, 2018, 11:13:37 am »
This Christmas in the Sella Ronda the resort was again displaying its skill with the snow cannons.  Very open except for a few minor pistes and the snow parks which were closed. Judging by frantic snow making going on in these they will be open this weekend.

As for me I discovered that last years knee problem is not resolved.  Pistes over a certain steepness are very painful. Sasslong (World Cup downhill piste in Val Gardena) was ok, but sections of Gran Risa (the steepest World Cup giant slalom piste in Alta Badia) and Valcano (A black in Pozza di Fassa) were very painful.

Apart from that a very enjoyable holiday.  The new skis are stable at speed and turn easily.

« Reply #605 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:55:57 am »
VT was great this year, after two dull days four bright sunshine without much wind, who could ask for more?

I did notice that the mapping and signage has been substantially upgraded, which made me start to look at it closely. The hand-out piste map has had big two way arrows on the "link" peaks (to Meribel & Orelle) which actually helps a lot, visually. Then, you notice that the size of the map has been reduced quite substantially which, compared with the previous years, makes it a lot more cramped. The piste signposts have also had the general direction added, which is a simple but great idea. Not only do you get the piste and lift, but also resort region.

Anyhow, all those changes made me think, what changes have taken place over the years? So I dug out an old map. Now, some changes are easy - anyone else remember that turn at the top of Rosael (going over to Orelle) where you had to turn under the pylon or go over the cliff? That's now a blue path completely bypassing the old track which you can see and wonder, "did we REALLY all ski that ?" The oldest map I could find is a 89/99 one, and the differences are telling. Back then, the "high" lifts (eg Peclet) were reds at best, now they all (or, almost all) have blue paths down. Another change is that the mountain sectors have been linked better, to stop you having to go down to the resort centre. On the map front, they have added more arrows to show cartographically challenged skiers which way is down. I confess I hadn't noticed until now that, in 2011, they had renamed all the Courchevel villages away from their heights to names, eg, 1650 has become "Courchevel Moriond", but then nobody appears to be referring to them as that anyhow.

Anyone else done map comparisons? I may have a look to see what maps I have in the Paradiski  area as well, which should (at least, could) span the same sort of time gap.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #606 on: 04 January, 2019, 04:24:43 am »
Slightly OT, but we are doing extreme board gaming before our last day here in Breck...

Extreme Board Gaming by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #607 on: 05 January, 2019, 06:01:27 pm »
Anyone else done map comparisons? I may have a look to see what maps I have in the Paradiski  area as well, which should (at least, could) span the same sort of time gap.

I have not done comparisons.  I found my 1997 Les Arcs map. Showing how wonderful Les Arc was before they built too much accommodation. Didn't need Varet in those days TS Dou de l'Homme (3 person fixed chair) went up to meet TPH Aiguille Rouge.  The only decoupling chair in Arc 2000 was Lanchettes.  There were more drag lifts that have gone now.  Major change is that to ski down to the Mamottes drag (now decoupling chair) you now need to go around the piste past St Jacques, that looked like it was about to fail then, when in the good old days everyone went down the steep slope and cut the corner.  The obvious change is thge new resort of Arc2000 - 50.  Together with other new builds this destroyed a nice quiet area of the resort.   The backwaters of Peisey Nancroix/Valandry are even more spoiled.

« Reply #608 on: 07 January, 2019, 05:19:46 pm »
They've made some of the lifts faster in Laax/Flims, I'm getting a bunch of notifications from Strava that my CRs on various segments (corresponding to chair lifts) have been beaten by a bunch of seconds.

Good news as I'll be there in a few months.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #609 on: 07 January, 2019, 05:39:43 pm »

I have not done comparisons.  I found my 1997 Les Arcs map. Showing how wonderful Les Arc was before they built too much accommodation. Didn't need Varet in those days TS Dou de l'Homme (3 person fixed chair) went up to meet TPH Aiguille Rouge.  The only decoupling chair in Arc 2000 was Lanchettes.  There were more drag lifts that have gone now.  Major change is that to ski down to the Mamottes drag (now decoupling chair) you now need to go around the piste past St Jacques, that looked like it was about to fail then, when in the good old days everyone went down the steep slope and cut the corner.  The obvious change is thge new resort of Arc2000 - 50.  Together with other new builds this destroyed a nice quiet area of the resort.   The backwaters of Peisey Nancroix/Valandry are even more spoiled.

OK I confess, I think Arc 1950 is one of the best resorts ever. But yes, I do know what you mean.

« Reply #610 on: 08 January, 2019, 10:13:24 am »
Just back from our first family ski trip in Geilo, Norway. Both my young son and I were complete novices. Now we're still green runners but a 2km long steep green run was our favourite haunt at the end. We're both skiing a little top quickly for my liking. My previously skiing partner only skis slowly so I was left chasing the 6 year old.

Still snow ploughing but a very shallow snow plough with good edging to make turns. Our son has no fear and spends his time looking around whilst skiing quickly down the steep bits. So casual like it's normal.

So where is a good venue for novice family skiers for the next end of year trip? I think it's an annual ski trip over new years for us. Kid will be 7 by then. Nice easy runs straight from the hotel door preferably. Across the forecourt and we were at the lifts. Ski bus got free to the other side of the valley and the other three sets of ski centres/lift hubs. Anywhere else like that?

« Reply #611 on: 08 January, 2019, 11:36:02 am »
My recommendation would be Val Cenis, staying at Lanslevillard where you can step onto the slopes (locating bike-wise, the road from there goes up to the Col d'Iseran, thence to Val d'Isere).

Ideal resort for families and learners to intermediates, less costly than some of the bigger resorts, will be much sunnier (potentially) than Norway. Some great mountain restaurants, accessible by beginners, too.

Here's the piste map

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #612 on: 10 January, 2019, 03:07:04 pm »
I am off to Kitzbuhel this weekend.  At least I hope I can get there.  Lots of snow in places which normally do not get much causing transport chaos in Austria.  Even made the BBC news.

Looking at the webcams the snow looks very heavy.  On the gentler pistes I could see people polling downhill. Goggle weather until Tuesday when I can prefer sunglasses.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #613 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:04:27 pm »
Gah - I always seem to damage my knuckles when reassembling the ski boots  :demon:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #614 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:11:20 pm »
Anyway, Val d'Isere last week: mostly good skiing. One morning missed due to bad weather, one day missed by me due to dodgy bowels (Mrs P went out by herself and didn't end up in the Maurienne valley  :thumbsup:) Some new infrastructure since we were there in 2016.

Some pics here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_pingus/albums/72157705881036955

val_disere_2019 by The Pingus, on Flickr

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #615 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:55:14 am »
I'm currently on the way to Austria for six days of free skiing :smug:. Oh yeah there's 60+ school kids on the coach too ::-) Conditions are looking great and it'll fun to explore a new resort.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #616 on: 15 February, 2019, 04:31:16 pm »
Off to Font Romeu in the Pyrenees on Sunday for a week. Only got two afternoon lessons for the children so I'll be doing my fair share of herding my daughter and some of her cousins (and some of their cousins).

Snow doesn't look great but there is enough and the runs gets groomed well enough.

Can. Not. Wait.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #617 on: 16 February, 2019, 04:07:53 pm »
Day 1.

Faff in the morning trying to deal with 60+ kids getting ski gear sorted but then we had sunshine, blue skies, great company and a fantastic day. Bring on tomorrow.

https://strava.app.link/0huYwfNgmU
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #618 on: 18 February, 2019, 11:53:59 am »
Day 3 and I've had my first germknödelb of the trip ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #619 on: 18 February, 2019, 05:07:11 pm »
Yum. What took you so long?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #620 on: 20 February, 2019, 10:05:24 pm »
My lunch stops are dictated by where the ski instructors take our school kids rather than where I want to eat. Well that's my excuse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #621 on: 20 February, 2019, 10:18:27 pm »
Hmm yes, I remember being unimpressed at having lunch stops as part of ski school in Austria.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #622 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:55:52 pm »
And now I am back from Ski Juwel here is the map of everywhere I skied during my six days: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QY47Uts4MuUvXmHH0Bx6yPI4UvD8yjWU&usp=sharing

It's a great resort for beginners as there are lots of easy slopes. The villages in the valleys are beautiful. Having to use the lift to go down into Inneralpbach is slightly annoying, but that's only an issue when getting between the two main areas and so was only needed on three occasions. There were some great views across all the Tirol due to the fantastic weather.

« Reply #623 on: 25 February, 2019, 10:05:06 am »
Amazing blue-skies week in Font Romeu in the Pyrenees, didn't see a cloud all week. The kids (my daughter, some of her cousins and a couple of their cousins) absolutely loved it, including my 7yo nephew who is jumping and carving like a pro.

I also got the occasional bit of time to myself to blast down some of the runs although the children are getting faster and faster so there's less time spent waiting/collecting.

Mild sunburn in unusual places due to helmet straps rubbing away some of the SPF 30, should have reapplied it after lunch each day. Oops.

Snow was ok but starting to get a big grabby in the afternoon on some of the slopes on the last day. Wouldn't be looking forward to going this week as it's going to be very patchy with the week of warm weather approaching and no new snow forecast for more than a week.

Can't wait for a boys trip to Laax/Flims in a month where there will be a lot more skiing (assuming there's snow!).

« Reply #624 on: 04 March, 2019, 10:03:29 pm »
Got an idle moment? Ski down Face with Graham Bell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80hu9ppSt1w

It helps if you know what it's like, he talks to the camera all the way down. No it doesn't take long.