Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 106900 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Is there a name for the phenomenon where, approaching two walkers from behind (this was a shared use path), and alerting them to your presence, they swap sides?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Dunno if this has been here before, but if not, I give you this -
https://www.messums.com/artworks/view/54145

The new organiser of the Kennet Valley Audax!
That must've been painted a while back.
He's been upgraded to Inspector for some time now.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Well, suppose it's one way to get your buddy home...

Seen in Theale - pair with snapped / dead chain, so they'd cobbled a 'tow rope' from two inner tubes :o
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

was trying to think where to put this story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47318231

101 bikes found after investigating a single theft. :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Does it count as Comedy Off-Roading if it's on perfectly good tarmac?  (The comedy element being provided by a combination of steamed-up glasses and Mildly Inappropriate Weather...)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Possibly, but only if actually left the road. Otherwise it's just comedy wet-weather-sun-was-in-my-eyes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Possibly, but only if actually left the road. Otherwise it's just comedy wet-weather-sun-was-in-my-eyes.

Race track, innit.  More mud than sun.  Also, I had a less-than-technically-correct dismount into an oily puddle, which must add comedy value.

Cudzoziemiec

Comedy track racing? Excellent! Extra points for rarity value. Are you "second in the world in silly weather racing"?  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Comedy track racing? Excellent! Extra points for rarity value. Are you "second in the world in silly weather racing"?  ;D

Second in the slow race, pending an official ruling from the Timelords by a gnat's crotchet.  Obviously I'd have been in first position, except I was relying on the rain tasting of mud to know I was going in the right direction.   ;D

Diiving home yesterday afternoon, just after 5pm, I was distracted by a light on the opposite carriageway. This resolved itself into an older gentleman on a bicycle with smaller that average wheels, and a front light that was extremely bright and flashing at around 300bpm! Horrid.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Do gilets jaunes attract insects?

This seldom seems an issue in the winter but with spring's approach, do others find fluo yellow is a magnet for critters?

There are sound biological reasons...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Yellow things in general.  Kingcycle front fairings, for example.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-47467438/penny-farthing-teacher-s-1000-mile-challenge
Shirley someone must have complained that Le-Jog is much less than 1000 miles? I can't be the first to spot this  :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I use the Santander hire bikes regularly to ride between Victoria and the office. The current manifestation of the app is great - you can check there are actually bikes in the station before you get there and request a release code, so you can just walk up, dib it in and be away in seconds.

I amuse myself by looking for patterns in the release codes - not much scope for variety with a 5-digit base-3 system but I did enjoy the fact that yesterday the codes for both my morning and evening journeys were palindromic. Even better, one of them was the roadie's release code - 12121
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

Even better, one of them was the roadie's release code - 12121
What does that mean?  ???

Roadies doing a sound check are known to be unable to count to 3.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

Consider it a test. ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

That's soundies.  Roadies are the ones with drop handlebars and no sense of humour who lift on '3'.

Cudzoziemiec

And the ones with matching components are groupies?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
An equestrian Twitterfriend posted today she'd put some alloy tackle in her dishwasher and it had gone dull grey and left black marks everywhere.
Oh dear!

Dishwasher detergent is STRONGLY alkaline and damages aluminium.

DON'T DO IT!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen

That's soundies.  Roadies are the ones with drop handlebars and no sense of humour who lift on '3'.

How many roadies soundies does it take to change a light bulb? Two. Two. One two.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

How many roadies soundies does it take to change a light bulb? Two. Two. One two.

It's not a bulb, it's a lamp, and don't touch it!