Author Topic: South Downs Way next June  (Read 5782 times)

South Downs Way next June
« on: 11 September, 2012, 08:19:09 pm »
Just a vague plan at the moment so if anyone has done it and got any useful advice I'd be grateful!  First question - how much time to allow - I want to enjoy it not just suffer!

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

Re: South Downs Way next June
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2012, 08:43:28 pm »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2012, 09:06:21 pm »
I took 15 hours first time. Someone did it three times (Winch - East - Winch - East) recently in 30 hours. If I had set my mind to it and not boobed quite as much as I did, I reckon I could possibly have completed in perhaps a bit over 13 hours.

I commute ten miles each way on a road bike (and have been for some years) and I cruise at about 18mph on the flat in windless conditions. I do seem to go up hills faster then those who go past me on the flat.

On my recent two runs along the SDW over the course of two days (Thursday and Friday each time), our rolling average was 7.1 mph for the first one and 8.1 for the second. If you are trying to complete in a day then (it's blindingly obvious really) stoppage time is key. When I did it solo a couple of years ago I didn't stop cycling for the first six hours other than stopping to take water on and let it out (and the enforced fettling session when I fell off).

If completion is highly desirable then having a number of spare tubes is essential. I even carried a spare tyre just in case. There are a lot of flints just waiting to slash your sidewalls open.

I understand from people I've encountered en route that the two major reasons for failing to complete are punctures and getting lost. Getting lost is really, really dispiriting, especially if you descend any distance.

It's good to be well prepared for an abandonment. The Harveys map I used doesn't extend much beyond the route itself, so if you're using that then prepare beforehand by marking on it routes to train stations.

There is a fish and chip shop opposite the station in Eastbourne. A very welcome sight.

Shout if there's anything more you want to know.
Rust never sleeps

plug

« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »
Getting to Alfriston in time for a pie is quite good.

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:43:51 pm »
Plenty of food for thought there!

I can do 30 miles at approx 14mph so at least two days - I'm not sure how fir my companion will be. looks like picking the weather window will be crucial - it sounds like the pits in the rain. Oh and thanks for the links I'll follow them up!

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2012, 05:11:56 pm »
I did the SDW over 2 days with TrailBreak several years ago, stopping overnight at a YHA Truleigh Hill (I think). It was easily do-able over 2 days, but that was with the benefit of a signed route. My map-reading is so bad I wouldn't attempt it without at least a competent map reader, or alternatively allowing about a week!

Always fancied repeating it as it was a great ride.

« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2012, 08:26:05 am »
I completed this event last year in 14 hours. A wonderful cycle, pretty views and generally very good tracks (hard tracks, no loose stuff or boggy marshes). Easy to follow too, navigation not a major issue.

Enjoy  ;D
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2012, 02:16:38 pm »
I did it last year (Winchester - Eastbourne) over two days in dire conditions last July.  The wet and slippery trail made it very tough.  I split the ride at Amberley (stayed in Arundel).  I think given better trail conditions it would be a grand ride over two days.  As others have said above it can be done more quickly, but it's too good a route to rush.

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2012, 06:55:36 pm »
Will you do it supported multi day or try in one push? Multi day is nice. More time to enjoy scenery and chance to enjoy evening sunsets and drinks

plug

« Reply #9 on: 26 October, 2012, 07:48:10 pm »
I've done it a few times in one day.  It's a long day, but doable entirely in daylight in midsummer.  The evening before the ride, we deposit a car in Eastbourne and some grub in the salt-bin on the lane just before Truleigh Hill YHA.  The YHA is a good spot for a break and ablutions (they leave the bog open during the day) at about 100km.  Plenty of water points along the way (marked on the Harveys map).

plug

« Reply #10 on: 26 October, 2012, 07:51:58 pm »
To make it memorable, start at the King Alfred statue in Winchester & make sure you know the way out of Winchester and up the hill beforehand  :)

« Reply #11 on: 26 October, 2012, 09:15:16 pm »
I'd be doing it with my brother. Plan would be to go West/East over 2 days I think. My husband would do support and as he has family in Eastbourne we would finish with a hot shower etc organised.

So - get the Harvey's map, put the route on the GPs and pray for dry weather!

Just a question now of where to stop - need accommodation for a couple, a single and the dog. Any ideas?

J
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #12 on: 27 October, 2012, 01:56:07 am »
I heartily recommend The Sportsman in Amberley. It's about bang-on half way. We chose it in case the wind was blowing from the East and we went Eastbourne - Winchester.

Great breakfast.

Beware though, the second day's climbs are tougher (if going West - East) and you'll be a bit knackered after the first day.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #13 on: 27 October, 2012, 05:16:27 pm »
Some friends rode it a couple of weeks before my traverse (I was supposed to be riding with them but was nursing a broken rib, so provided support instead) and broke the ride at Upper Beeding (near Steyning).  The Rising Sun was very accommodating.  Fairly basic rooms, but not expensive either.

This made the second day slightly shorter, but as hatler says, the hills are steeper.

« Reply #14 on: 27 October, 2012, 07:28:36 pm »
I've been planning to do the SDW this year, but it will probably be next year now - so this is all very interesting  :thumbsup:

One possibility I've been considering is to leave from work and use two nights and get two full days (and maybe a few miles down the way to the first night).

Martin

« Reply #15 on: 27 October, 2012, 07:43:17 pm »
I did the BHF one day event it's a bloody hard ride; did it a week after my first 600 thinking "it's only 160" it was harder. It took me 12rs. Went back the next year did the 100k intending to carry on but gave up at Ditchling

there is nothing at the start and the first place you will find food is Amberley

I always said if I did it again I would take 2 days and stop overnight at the Washington campsite but not sure if it's there. Alternatively Devils Dyke is good stop and an easy ride (and back) into Brighton

« Reply #16 on: 08 November, 2012, 09:23:23 pm »
Some friends rode it a couple of weeks before my traverse (I was supposed to be riding with them but was nursing a broken rib, so provided support instead) and broke the ride at Upper Beeding (near Steyning).  The Rising Sun was very accommodating.  Fairly basic rooms, but not expensive either.

This made the second day slightly shorter, but as hatler says, the hills are steeper.

If they'll take the dog this sounds good!

Reine de la Fauche

Phil W

« Reply #17 on: 20 November, 2012, 09:52:52 pm »
We did it over 3.5 days and carried out nightly sampling of the beer on offer. During the day we sought out the ice cream van.  We also explored some of the fantastic trails off the SDW if they looked interesting.

« Reply #18 on: 20 November, 2012, 10:20:56 pm »
Rather bizarrely, it seem appropriate to do it from Winchester to Eastbourne.  It seems like it's more "downhill" that way, and obviously, it's too the sea! (although isn't really that far off being parallel to the coast).

I shall have to give serious consideration to this ride, since it's really not too far for me to travel to either end.
Actually, it is rocket science.

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2014, 07:09:54 pm »
If you live in London then it's quite easy, logistic wise. Plan a Saturday as first train is earlier than Sunday. That really helps and gets you in Winchester by 7am. Have the route on a GPS as you can't afford to get lost.(Is that cheating?) Amberley is half way and a good place for your first stop for lunch and fill bottle. Eat at the tearoom on the river. Then have another mid afternoon stop at Saddlecombe farm but don't stop for too long. Then it's a final push to finish in Eastbourne and the train back to London after a fish and chips dinner. A perfect day out in my books.
http://southwestern-swrc.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/south-downs-way.html
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA