Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 471493 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2375 on: 02 November, 2018, 01:34:38 pm »
Put a new gas cylinder in my workshop heater: 16 kg of cylinder + 13 kg of gas. Was wearing light-coloured trousers (eejit) so had to hold it a bit out to the front.

I used to think Sciatica was a town in Ancient Greece...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2376 on: 02 November, 2018, 01:36:51 pm »
Having a decent GP who pays attention and doesn't just decide "too long, boring" is vital for me.

I read some years ago that the average time a GP would let a patient talk uninterrupted was 15 seconds.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2377 on: 02 November, 2018, 06:12:25 pm »
Thank you Matthew, I have had you in mind when thinking about hips.

Clinician was really very good, the benefits of having read the bloody notes and my prep info, paid attention and been methodical. I suspect he googled my rare syndrome and discovered what I learned today - hip dysplasia is linked to my syndrome which I did not know...

I think what is upsetting me the most is that I have had poorly explained mobility issues ALL my life, repeatedly sought help in my childhood/teens including from an ortho consultant and got fobbed off with "growing pains". My mobility since 2008 has been very poor and I've constantly been accused of being lazy or just unfit because I couldn't say why walking distances most people manage easily were really painful and difficult for me.

I have to see my GP to get my repeat prescriptions before my prepayment card runs out (computer says so) and will be asking what she can see of my 2008 GP record in case that sheds any light on why I was told the xray was normal. I've also SARed the Xray, radiologic and other data with it and had an acknowledgement from the info team for that.

I suspect we'll have to stick with 1.5T MRI cos there's no more safety info available. I'm surprised they're more worried about the BAHA which is Titanium and Gold whereas my arm pins are steel of some kind which actually can get magnets to stick to it as per
(click to show/hide)

Ah well I got some sensible advice for interim management which is keep moderating activity but I can do non impact. Kim is going to put the trike on the turbo as I can do that a bit so I don't get stuck with hip pain X km from home like last time. And keep making use of my higher rate PIP for taxis and stuff. I'll be seen 6 weeks after the steroid injection which itself will be SomeNumber of weeks (hopefully before Xmas).

« Reply #2378 on: 03 November, 2018, 10:52:45 pm »
Odd that you can get magnets to stick to your arm pins. Must be the variety of stainless used - nothing works on the plate in my wrist (and that is very close to the surface). I've even tried hard disk magnets.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2379 on: 03 November, 2018, 11:00:23 pm »
Suspect barakta's arm pins are of considerably older manufacture than mr charly's!

barakta

« Reply #2380 on: 04 November, 2018, 02:40:30 pm »
Jan 1992 for this lot which I believe are Steinmann pins thanks to my SAR and the hospital coughing up pre 1990 records cos I asked nicely.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2381 on: 04 November, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »
I thought Steinmann pins were the chunky metalwork used to attach the femur to a trapeze from which to dangle...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2382 on: 04 November, 2018, 03:05:35 pm »
Seems to be a case of hysterical raisins... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3157064/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2383 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:46:23 pm »
I have FINALLY received the paperwork for some very minor surgery scheduled for the end of the month.

Two leaflets bear 'Expires end of September 2018 ' on their front sheet...

Good thing I usually ignore 'Use By' dates!

« Reply #2384 on: 05 November, 2018, 04:04:11 pm »
Six months since my hip replacement operation. I think I'll take the knee guy up on his invitation to arrange
an appointment with his secretary to get her to put me on the list to finally get my knee sorted out.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2385 on: 07 November, 2018, 11:52:40 pm »
Montgomery would suggest that taking blood without ascertaining your wishes and desires re the blood test is poor medical care and therefore an assault.

Making an appointment (first appointment was two weeks ahead) would imply consent for the sampling but the lack of information in the initial letter REALLY rankles! I don't see why the initial letter failed this way.

My monitoring blood tests specify, my invitation for smears/flu jabs/mammography specify.

GRRR...!

Turns out it was for a repeat monitoring test.
A response to the letter my Consultant had sent in mid-September following a blood test in mid-August. This recommended a repeat after a month.

I had arranged and had a repeat test in early October at Queen Square and had already received another copy letter from my consultant saying all was well.

I didn't really need this morning's test but the cogs at the GP surgery are VERY slow and communication none-too-crisp.

Partner was FURIOUS about unnecessary outing (surgery is 100 yards away and blood appointment ran promptly)!

« Reply #2386 on: 12 November, 2018, 12:03:59 pm »
Well, that was fun (not).  Second root canal on the same tooth in a week. Last week I went in with an abscess/infection, so filling was drilled out, and two of the three root canals cleaned out. The third wasn't, as it was occluded by some earlier temporary filling material and they'd had me there an hour for the emergency appointment already. So it was re-filled, antibiotics prescribed, and off I went.  That was Tuesday last.

This morning tooth is 90% better but large swollen (think chipmunk) painful jaw.  Luckily I got in this morning with the head honcho, who normally only does private work (the NHS dentistry is carried out by graduates in their first training placement).  In 20 minutes he drilled out, found and cleaned all three canals, refilled and gave me more antibiotics - though only to use if the infection starts to get worse again - these are alcohol intolerant!!.  I guess that shows the benefit of nearly 40 years experience - he knew how hard to push the drills and still not break them.

Hopefully there will be enough tooth left to cap/crown.  And then on to the same tooth on the other side  :-X

ETA: Well it did get worse, and I started the antibiotics. ANd then this morning at work the abscess burst. Yeuuugh! A bit less painful now the pressure is off tho.  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2387 on: 14 November, 2018, 03:54:33 pm »
Good news time.
I've been suffering pain in my left knee, which at times was excruciating, and started after I decide to improve my fitness  ??? by cycling a lot (too much) more. As the learned gallery on here pointed out, I wasn't giving myself enough recovery time - but I digress.
I was referred for an x-ray after my GP said "that's definitely the start of osteoarthritis" and  physiotherapy. (The process of getting seen at physio hereabouts is seriously crap, but again I digress).
The physio talked me through the x-ray which showed no arthritic changes at all  :thumbsup:
After a lot of pushing, pulling, pressing, standing up, sitting down, moving this way and that - he diagnosed that the muscle(s) supporting the tendon that holds my kneecap in place had been overworked, and hadn't been able to recover (at least that's my simplistic rendering of the subject). He's given me four simple exercises to do twice a day, and recommended more cycling - but more, shorter, rides for the next few weeks.
All in all, a result.  :D
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2388 on: 14 November, 2018, 04:44:08 pm »
Recovery from my accident is going pretty slowly. 

I'm trying to walk most days, a 2.5km loop which is taking me between 35-40 mins i.e. bloody slow and painful as well. The elbow remains tender to the touch, but the bruising is fading now.  The hip/pelvis however is causing all sorts of knock-on issues as my gait is affected. Still mostly walking with the stick, but some short distances without, trying to build a bit of endurance there. I'm working about 50% of normal, last week I tried nearer 75% and was wiped out by Friday.

I'm mostly missing just doing stuff, so I'm going to take a membership at the local pool.  It's a rolling DD that can be cancelled any time, and if I swim just 5 times in the month, pays for itself (and will be charged back to my claim anyway).  I managed 400m mostly arms on Monday. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

barakta

« Reply #2389 on: 16 November, 2018, 11:40:29 am »
I have a copy of my 2008 hip X-ray and the reporting... Subject Access Requests are my friend!

Even I as a not-doctor can see the same features Mr Hip surgeon was pointing out to me on the 2018 X-ray even if I can't interpret anything else. 

Report says
"X-RAY RIGHT HIP No fracture or bony injury seen. Bony alignment is normal."

The GP referral was only for the right hip even though I reported both were bad - maybe cos I showed GP the right hip subluxation that I could always do.  The image does have both hips on it.

I will take a copy to my next appt and see what Mr Hip Surgeon says and if he wants a copy for my local record.

2 weeks till my CT/MRI scans and 5 weeks or so till my joint injection of steroids, local anaesthetic and 'air' for contrast and Xraying...

« Reply #2390 on: 16 November, 2018, 08:08:29 pm »
I slipped on the stairs at my parents house this morning and my ankle made a crunch so loud my dad heard it.
Set off on the train but navigating the platform change at Newcastle was such, that I diverted away from work to my friends at Redcar Minor Injuries. There the usual speedy service had me in and out in an hour. Nothing broken. Not that it makes much difference, soft tissue damage can take just as long to heal, and be just as painful.

It hurts.

I hate stairs. They're way more dangerous than bikes.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2391 on: 16 November, 2018, 08:22:23 pm »
They are, my dad managed to fracture tib and fib slipping on the one step at the entrance to the Tan Hill pub, wearing his cycling shoes.  My mum made him go to the hospital next day
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2392 on: 17 November, 2018, 07:52:02 am »
It hurts....

Best wishes for a surprisingly good recovery.

You're missed at Stirling!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2393 on: 17 November, 2018, 10:17:56 am »
Nothing broken. Not that it makes much difference, soft tissue damage can take just as long to heal, and be just as painful.

It hurts.

Ouch. Still, it could have been soft-tissue damage and something broken.  Heal well.

I hate stairs. They're way more dangerous than bikes.

YTM. Last July I missed a step on our stairs at home and wrenched the hell out of a quad. Two weeks' rest plus pussy-footing for the three weeks after that really buggered up my season.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2394 on: 17 November, 2018, 11:03:15 pm »
I'm having an allergic reaction to something.  Itchy blister appeared on my upper lip and over the course of a couple of minutes, had swelled to about 10mm in diameter.  It's now (almost an hour later) stable and slowly reducing in itchiness.  I've taken a couple of Piriton, keeping an eye on my breathing and am trying not to dribble too much.

No idea what brought that on.  I was debugging some C at the time, so it's not like I ate something dodgy, or got stung by a triffid or anything.  Bah!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2395 on: 18 November, 2018, 08:53:59 am »
Chewing over pointers will do that.

« Reply #2396 on: 18 November, 2018, 01:18:07 pm »
I started gym going a couple of months ago, 3 times a week.  A couple of weeks ago I started getting an abscess, and my last gym session was 10 days ago.  Yesterday, 3 days after said abscess had burst, and after 3 decent nights sleep un-drugged, I went back. Firstly I found I was more or less back where I started on weights, and today my legs/glutei are quite achey from squats and lunges.  ::-). How quickly fitness drops away if you sit at a desk all day  :-\.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2397 on: 18 November, 2018, 09:57:00 pm »
It hurts....

Best wishes for a surprisingly good recovery.

You're missed at Stirling!

+1!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2398 on: 30 November, 2018, 02:54:46 pm »
Opened my 'Cycle' magazine envelope today.

Not sure I like the idea of a shoulder surgeon publishing an advertorial.

Should this post go elsewhere?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2399 on: 30 November, 2018, 03:30:39 pm »
Opened my 'Cycle' magazine envelope today.

Not sure I like the idea of a shoulder surgeon publishing an advertorial.

Me neither, but it was well timed for barakta coming home from doing superman impressions in an MRI scanner.