Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 471328 times)

ian

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2050 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:09:05 pm »
I do generally avoid antibiotics but this one doesn't appear to be leaving without something packing its bags for it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2051 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:20:00 pm »
Waiting 10 days then going for cheap, old-fashioned Pen V seems fair to me. GWS!

ian

« Reply #2052 on: 07 February, 2018, 12:30:21 pm »
I think the GP, after a morning of listening to people telling him that they or their kid had woken up that morning with a cough or sniffle, was relieved that someone had waited a few days before confronting him.

I'm not actually ill any more, it's just hurty throatyness. Seems a bit less today. It's quite surprising how much saliva we reflexively swallow, we're like bodily fluid conveyor belts.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2053 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:26:57 pm »
Day 18 of snot, I am very bored. I am just at this lingering snot stage which I want to fuck off.

« Reply #2054 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:30:12 pm »
It does linger, doesn't it? Only very minor traces here, but chest still hurts when I go out in the cold. More 2 weeks since I've been for a run.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2055 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:38:14 pm »
My lungs are still rattling, but peak flow is improved.  I'm going to experimentally ride to the shop via the local hill and see what happens.

I used to be able to speak.  That was useful.  Wonder if it will come back.

ETA: Breathing much improved (thought still coughing a lot).  Snot production levels about normal for the low temperature.  But it all went to hell when I got smoked at.

barakta

« Reply #2056 on: 07 February, 2018, 04:16:12 pm »
I've been known to struggle with lingering before, but this is really annoying. I'm going to book GP appt for other stuff and if it's still shit by then (next week probably) I'm going to ask for avamys nasal spray which is the bomb for "post nasal drip".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2057 on: 12 February, 2018, 10:54:22 pm »
Oral thrush.  Marvellous.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2058 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:15:13 pm »

Get well soon!

Are you on antibiotics?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2059 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:20:20 pm »

Get well soon!

Are you on antibiotics?

Inhaled steroids for asthma.  I upped my dose a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to help fight off the chest infection alluded to above, and this is the predictable consequence.  At this point lung symptoms are greatly reduced, so I'm going to go back to my normal dose (and actually use my spacer, like a good little asthmatic) and see what happens.  I can't get a GP appointment for a couple of weeks, so hopefully it'll clear up on its own.  Hopefully the lurgy will do the same, for that matter.

simonp

« Reply #2060 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:29:18 pm »

Get well soon!

Are you on antibiotics?

Inhaled steroids for asthma.  I upped my dose a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to help fight off the chest infection alluded to above, and this is the predictable consequence.  At this point lung symptoms are greatly reduced, so I'm going to go back to my normal dose (and actually use my spacer, like a good little asthmatic) and see what happens.  I can't get a GP appointment for a couple of weeks, so hopefully it'll clear up on its own.  Hopefully the lurgy will do the same, for that matter.

There are OTC medicines to treat thrush; maybe speak to a pharmacist?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2061 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:48:00 pm »
There are OTC medicines to treat thrush; maybe speak to a pharmacist?

Ah, hadn't thought of that.  I've got some Corsodyl, which would appear to be the thermonuclear option, but regular use of that basically means giving up food.  Daktarin gel can't possibly be worse.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2062 on: 13 February, 2018, 07:26:45 am »
Ear day today.  ??? Hopefully I'll get a diagnosis today as to whether it is a BCC, and an indication of a plan of attack. Perhaps I'll need to look on eBay for clip-on Spock ears. 

:-[

BrianI

« Reply #2063 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:59:16 am »
Saw the rather dismissive consultant. He doesn't think it is anything untoward apart from "chronic inflammation due to the geometry of my ear". Stronger topical steroid prescribed, as well as an appointment for a biopsy for 4 weeks time.

« Reply #2064 on: 13 February, 2018, 11:01:24 am »
It's never nice to be 'dismissed' but at least it wasn't bad news!

How on earth does the shape of your ear make it get inflamed?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

BrianI

« Reply #2065 on: 13 February, 2018, 01:46:26 pm »
It's never nice to be 'dismissed' but at least it wasn't bad news!

How on earth does the shape of your ear make it get inflamed?

Apparently due to the angles of the folds of the helix, it's liable to be a trap for soap etc, leading to long term inflammation.   ??? Would rather wait until I get the biopsy done & results before being satisfied it's nothing though...

simonp

« Reply #2066 on: 13 February, 2018, 02:00:10 pm »
etc? Beetles, tiny aliens, what?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2067 on: 13 February, 2018, 02:11:39 pm »
Point of information: the pinna has a 'helix' and an 'antihelix'.

It is not a snail.

BrianI

« Reply #2068 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:12:51 pm »
etc? Beetles, tiny aliens, what?

Lol, yes, I should have asked what the "etc" meant when the consultant said "soap etc"  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2069 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:25:54 pm »
Srsly etc = Substances that can degrease and irritate skin: shampoo, aftershave & smellies, possibly some sunscreens.

barakta

« Reply #2070 on: 13 February, 2018, 04:56:59 pm »
My view is that it is possible for clinicians to do "oh that's probably not serious" in a reassuring not dismissive manner - go back to manners school!  Especially as my experience is that manners correlates considerably highly with clinical clue and outcome.

"I can understand why you and your GP were worried, at this point, I think due to the shape of your outer ear anatomy I think it is more likely to be things like soap being trapped and causing inflammation...." "At this point I would like to prescribe a stronger XXX and you will be seen again in 4 weeks for a biopsy just in case, but again as I said, please try not to worry".

barakta

« Reply #2071 on: 13 February, 2018, 05:50:25 pm »
Caffeine teeshirt on short notice GP appt changed to locum ftw.

Locum doc was happy to confirm that I don't have serious bacterial lurgy, my lungs are clear and that mega-snot-spray avamys was a reasonable prescription. He also upped my zolmitriptan from 3 doses per script to 6 (checking I understood analgesia rebound effect).

Understandably locum said he wanted my usual GP to deal with the migraine clinic stuff where they're asking GP to prescribe yet more migraine prophylaxis as the two options they're suggesting are not licensed for migraine.

But getting appts with my GP or the other one who is even better on migraine is REALLY hard... Keep phoning at 8am cos the advance appts are all booked up. Might try phoning first thing for one of the advance appts on 28th Feb to see if that works....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2072 on: 13 February, 2018, 06:04:15 pm »
Caffeine teeshirt on short notice GP appt changed to locum ftw.

"I'm wearing a molecule, which means I understand SCIENCE, so don't treat me like an idiot"?

barakta

« Reply #2073 on: 13 February, 2018, 06:37:44 pm »
Yup.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2074 on: 14 February, 2018, 01:59:10 pm »
Big Carbs are not necessarily the best for hanger IMO but YMMV...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43050394