Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520691 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3325 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:49:07 pm »
The Turn Left Award. Because we’re nice people me and Oaky are prepared to share it  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3326 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:56:58 pm »
Keep the ideas coming - spend a bit of shed time this winter crafting a worthy trophy.

I heard of a club that had a 'Half-Wheeler of the Year Award' - the trophy was an actual half a wheel on a plinth - that'd look good in a trophy cabinet! Of course ACME riders are schooled to keep to a gentlemanly pace and would never win the award ...

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #3327 on: 04 November, 2018, 09:36:17 pm »
The 'dozy sleeping beauty' award for over-sleeping on an 400+km events,  Would be my pleasure to engineer this prize. It should not be confused with Psyclist's 'beyond the limits DNF' award.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3328 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:17:55 am »
No ted once again (have we upset him?) so here goes...

Myself, BFC, AC33, GS and jibers at Spa Road, Oaky scooped up at Peg Millars.  Wet roads and some wind, Tomsk met just before The Compasses.  Me and josser did our COR thing, it was all going well until the footpath we were illegally following crossed a ploughed field just before the Flitch Way, sufficient mud to stop wheels from turning  :thumbsup:

The King Billy was deserted apart from ourselves but a good time was had and we all enjoyed the new pub dogs.

Decisions made: bivvy night postponed.  Psyclist is wearing The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny at Epiphany.

Ends.

« Reply #3329 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:22:18 am »
Psyclist is wearing The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny at Epiphany.

Er, no!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3330 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:28:10 am »

Er, no!

You're assuming you have some choice in the matter!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3331 on: 08 November, 2018, 05:57:02 pm »

Er, no!

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3332 on: 08 November, 2018, 07:43:47 pm »

Er, no!

Oooh, he`ll smell so manly :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3333 on: 08 November, 2018, 10:12:09 pm »
You might have to lend him a squirt of your Lynx!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3334 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:42:58 pm »
I have some spare year bars, 2015 - 2018 available. £2 by post or £1 at the pub/event start/finish. Let me know what you want.

The 'New, Improved' Photobucket doesn't seem to want to upload images.  ::-) Pic here:

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/y387/Tomskinessex/0/69b7957b-3f66-46ca-bffe-1620325606fe-original.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3335 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:44:59 pm »
I have some spare year bars, 2015 - 2018 available. £2 by post or £1 at the pub/event start/finish. Let me know what you want.

Shame, I could use a 2014.

« Reply #3336 on: 13 November, 2018, 08:02:07 pm »
Evening everyone,

I'm off to Bristol from 25-30 November to work at ProCycling magazine (doing the 2019 season preview to be published in the January edition for those interested). Has anyone got a spare GPS I could use? That kind of Satanic technology doesn't exist in our house, and I don't have the in-build navigational system of Papa Tomsk.

Thanks in advance...

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #3337 on: 13 November, 2018, 08:44:50 pm »
I have a basic Garmin edge 200 with mount and cable, if this is of any use. It will record your ride details, but will not offer heart rate, power, mapping features.

Could possibly drop it off this weekend as I am likely to be on a perm or diy, if it covers your needs.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #3338 on: 15 November, 2018, 10:23:32 am »
I have a basic Garmin edge 200 with mount and cable, if this is of any use. It will record your ride details, but will not offer heart rate, power, mapping features.

Could possibly drop it off this weekend as I am likely to be on a perm or diy, if it covers your needs.
Sounds perfect, thanks pal. I should be around most of the weekend.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3339 on: 15 November, 2018, 10:34:15 am »
Yesterday evening was the third in a row where ted failed to show.  Come back us ted, we love you, we miss you, and I'm fed up writing these reviews and you do it so much better.  Anyhow, here goes...

We had a nice time, it's getting colder, Boss Hogg's was as excellent as The Orange Tree.  Ends.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3340 on: 15 November, 2018, 11:17:12 am »
Yesterday evening was the third in a row where ted failed to show.  Come back us ted, we love you, we miss you, and I'm fed up writing these reviews and you do it so much better.  Anyhow, here goes...

We had a nice time, it's getting colder, Boss Hogg's was as excellent as The Orange Tree.  Ends.

Lamb Kofte Wrap declared quaffers' choice?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3341 on: 15 November, 2018, 11:25:32 am »

Yes, although the Quaffer went home.

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3342 on: 15 November, 2018, 12:04:50 pm »

We missed you at Boss Hoggs Oaky but I have coined a phrase in your honour

Doing an Oaky

This is only available to the select few who frequent Boss Hoggs

To qualify all the below have to be present:

Eat lots at Boss Hoggs and eat it fast
Get onto bike wishing you hadn't
Discover your bike has reverse gear up Hatfield Peverel hill
Not be  :sick: (this requisite added by OD as he rode next to me - but far enough away to be safe)
Recover by A12 cycle path and fly home

I have done an Oaky - proud! ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3343 on: 15 November, 2018, 12:08:54 pm »
I think we should make up some sort of award sticker and apply it to the Boss Hogg's kebab van.  Like a blue plaque but more prestigious - obviously  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3344 on: 15 November, 2018, 12:48:00 pm »
I think we should make up some sort of award sticker and apply it to the Boss Hogg's kebab van.  Like a blue plaque but more prestigious - obviously  :thumbsup:

Or we could enhance the Initiation Ceremony: pickled egg AND eating a delicious treat from Boss Hogg's extensive menu!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3345 on: 15 November, 2018, 05:31:22 pm »
As mentioned last night:

1) My birthday bash in Maldon, Saturday 8th December - breakfast at the 'spoons from 09:00 [Rose and Crown - there's a small beer garden to the RH side for bike parking], followed by Christmas Beer Tasting at the Mighty Oak Brewery, from [11:00-15:00] and lunch afterwards at the Blue Boar, probably. All welcome.

2) Colchester Brewery Beer Tasting at Dunmow Maltings, evening of Saturday 16th March. Tickets coming soon - I will get them for anyone interested - Soupy and Mrs T will be going with me.

3) October 2019 will be my 10th anniversary as an AUK Organiser. One of my winter projects is to devise nice sociable 50 and 100km routes, probably Dick Turpin themed, pub start and finish with a pub lunch too. Date somewhere between the Richard Ellis Memorial and the first of the Winter Series.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3346 on: 15 November, 2018, 05:38:38 pm »
Me and TCMR can make event #1. We can't commit to the rest until nearer the time..

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3347 on: 15 November, 2018, 06:50:30 pm »
We missed you at Boss Hoggs Oaky but I have coined a phrase in your honour

Doing an Oaky

This is only available to the select few who frequent Boss Hoggs

To qualify all the below have to be present:

Eat lots at Boss Hoggs and eat it fast
Get onto bike wishing you hadn't
Discover your bike has reverse gear up Hatfield Peverel hill
Not be  :sick: (this requisite added by OD as he rode next to me - but far enough away to be safe)
Recover by A12 cycle path and fly home

I have done an Oaky - proud! ;D

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3348 on: 19 November, 2018, 03:05:00 pm »
8th December sounds awesome BUT unfortunately I am spectating at a cheerleading competition that young tippers is partaking in that day, a day of being in a windowless hall surrounded by screaming teenagers and music that really is not fit for listening too....oh the joy!

« Reply #3349 on: 22 November, 2018, 12:59:29 pm »
Back to the shop floor

With the Witham peloton heading east for the first time in a while, I decided I could be bothered to venture out on a Wednesday evening.

After riding all of 10 miles to get there, I was even almost on time.  I arrived at the Kings Head in Tollesbury to find Dirk Emery, NikNak, Huggy, Oz Clarke, Jilly Goolden, Roald Amundsen, Hotblack and the Lynx all sweltering inside in their winter clobber.

Like the true executive he is, Dirk had decided to spend some time slumming it back at the coal face and was our beverage procurement operative for the evening.  Guys like Dirk don't just hide in a lab in pursuit of POCaaS, they get their hands dirty in the real world to find solution opportunities and it is fascinating to watch them in action.  No one could accuse Dirk of micromanagement in avoidance of failure given the freedom he allows our usual BPO but you could see he had taken a deep dive into his chaos pool and was prepared to utilise extreme proactivity to achieve customer success.  His approach was to disrupt the MEMWNS ecosystem working front to back and it was a masterclass of management. 

First up was the ordering process - boom, out with the Kitty Kitty notepad and in with an electronic ordering system operating in real time.  Finances - hell yeah, there was no purse, just cash on the table providing transparent and instant auditing for our CFO.  Just in time ordering - as if, it's 2018 not 2003 and Dirk's AI-based system was humming away in the background constantly updating and teaching his delivery and destination spread sheet with data on average supping times, known preferences, previous untappd entries and other key factors to provide outputs based on need - "Ted, it's 9.48 and I've brought you a Suffolk Gold".  The system easily coped with arch-disruptors Jilly and Oz when they suddenly decided to try two different types of wine and then move on to shorts - zap it was done.  Final round, exactly the right money left to cover it and job done for Dirk.

In some ways it lacked the personality and charm of the old approach but you can't stand in the way of efficiency.  The Hustler is in for an interesting appraisal before his re-training begins.

While this was unfolding in front of us we managed to sample St Peter's Suffolk Gold, Ridley's Rite, Calvors' American Red, Young's Special and in a Quaffers' Choice Award winning return from the 1970's...McEwans Export.

Some people discussed burying a 30 foot copper pole into a bucket of water in a concrete floor to make an amplifier work while the rest of us mused on love and life.

The ride home was definitely cold enough but with a full moon and no wind it was perfectly pleasant.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways