Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 153635 times)

Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #550 on: 21 May, 2018, 10:31:21 am »
Probably delivering jellied eels  :)

ian

« Reply #551 on: 21 May, 2018, 11:22:59 am »
Google says he's a thing, though stories seem to be 2016. Anyway, he's still out there in 2018, doing his thing.

« Reply #552 on: 21 May, 2018, 11:53:56 am »
It's quite Ordinary, really.

« Reply #553 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:23:27 pm »
I'll put this here as seems to fit. While being sold a front pannier rack the top bloke in the shop was chatting about his tours he had done using the same rack. Well not the exact same one but same model....I didn't have the heart to tell him it's mostly so I can fit more of Aldi's finest on my bike.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #554 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:34:04 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #555 on: 16 June, 2018, 03:42:35 pm »
And today at the wife's suggestion we all cycled to Aldi. The littlest (4) grizzled a bit but as I've said I think the jump of gear size from her 14 to 16" Isla bike has meant gradients are harder. Most of weeks shopping fitted in panniers split between wife and my bikes and a very slow ride home with a short cut across some scrub land that ended up being a long cut. Several offs from the monkeys who were swerving into each other and a for the second time in a week a child answering to me telling one of my monkeys what to do as she shared a name.

« Reply #556 on: 16 June, 2018, 10:16:53 pm »
A trip into Newcastle city center with little Joe on his bike this morning.  Nothing unusual about that except for the fact that we came across 2 Circe Helios, 1 Thorn tandem and a fully loaded Bacchetta recumbent and its rider headed for Germany. 

« Reply #557 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:45:25 pm »
Another weekend trip to do a few chores. Watering fish a d feeding gardens or something like that. On my awesome Thorn normal shoes no lid as forgot it and just using the most efficient transport for the job.

At the moment Im struggling for motivation for going for a ride for the sake of it but apart from driving to work, have a work van and often out delivering pretty much avoid using the car if possible in favour of my bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #558 on: 17 July, 2018, 05:05:58 pm »
Today I had a cycletastically useful utilitarian adventure, blatting up the A38 to the Filton branch of Cycle Surgery in pursuit of an exchange or refund for my cycle shoes whose Boa fastening system broke on Saturday. It turned out better than expected, as spare parts are available – yes, really! – and they can mend it! At least they probably can.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #559 on: 17 July, 2018, 05:27:43 pm »
As I'd hired a car over the weekend, it naturally made sense[1] to do the bulk supermarket shop by cycle a couple of days later.   :facepalm:

On the basis of weary legs, I compromised and used the electron-assisted trike.  Nice day for a ride, especially when you don't have to wear L-bone pads or an ant-infested helmet.

[1] Sunday trading laws.

« Reply #560 on: 04 December, 2018, 07:36:43 pm »
Over dinner tonight the wife tells me that the monkey lost her ear muffs on way home from school. A likely area was identified so I see an excuse to escape out on the bike. The Dyno light reduces battery related faffing so much the bikes grab and go. Slow cycle to the area and much wandering around but no avail. Home on other side of road and about to give up when I think I'll just try the tree which they love to play on. Sure enough tucked down by it are the ear muffs and a scarf. Judging by the chill on the ride they'll be needed tomorrow.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #561 on: 22 December, 2018, 05:25:58 pm »
Today's utilitarian adventures were unexpectedly sociable, bumping into my BiL outside the PO (not his usual shopping area, he was looking for a last-minute pressie for my sister) then <well know local madcap audaxer> on the road. They then became unexpectedly adventurous as I discovered my back light wasn't working when I came out of the stupormarket. Wire from headlamp broken where I've taped it to rear brake cable near the headtube – debating whether to mend it now or wait till tomorrow morning, wash the bike and then do it.

« Reply #562 on: 27 December, 2018, 09:44:13 am »
Thankfully my Burley Bee is currently in my possession, both kids have out grown it but it had been returned from a loan.

Was used to collect Christmas presents that couldn't be carried home on Christmas day most notable a saw horse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #563 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:05:55 pm »
A horse made from saws?  That's never going to work.  First sight of a plastic bag flapping in a hedge and it's Texas Chainsaw Massacre time...   :D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #564 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:20:36 pm »
A horse made from saws?  That's never going to work.  First sight of a plastic bag flapping in a hedge and it's Texas Chainsaw Massacre time...   :D

Wise saws, such as 'never look a gift-horse in the teeth'? Or a modern instance such as the throne in GOT?

Is there a fakir in the house?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #565 on: 04 January, 2019, 03:42:20 pm »
I've just been out to the tool shop in search of a file with which to enlarge the hole in the brake bridge connector on my rear mudguard, in order to get the guard nearer the bridge. There was a choice of a set for £14, of which I would only ever use the smallest, a bit without a handle for £1.99 or a secondhand one of appropriate size and with handle. So I got the secondhand one for 50p. But it was a day for the carbon bike; the council have been so liberal with the grit the very air tastes of salt. Unfortunately I don't own a carbon bike, so the steel is getting corroded instead. Despite the cold, I saw several cyclists in shorts, one with legs an unhealthy combination of plum and raspberry.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #566 on: 05 January, 2019, 12:24:55 pm »
I've just ventured out wearing a fleecy top over my shirt, a buff round my neck,  leather jacket, Russian-style Ushanka, long wooly scarf and sheepskin gloves.  Toasty warm.  I have invested (I hope wisely) in a pensioner's railcard and bought my first ticket  on it for Monday - only a local hop.  Then enjoyed wandering round Asda with the Brompron in the trolley.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #567 on: 12 January, 2019, 04:55:45 pm »
Nothing more exciting then another trip to Aldi. Kicked the crap front mudguard again, do suffer from this when cycling in my fairly clumpy shoes but not when wearing clippy in shoes.

Quite a bit of heavy shopping, potatoes and tins meant even though all fitted in was a fair bit of weight so wobbly on the start up.

Highlight of the ride was when a car a long way off coming towards me made it clear they were coming past the parked car on their side of the road by moving onto my side of road. I made it clear I had right of way by taking a central position and they pulled in behind parked car.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #568 on: 22 February, 2019, 03:44:24 pm »
I actually rode my bike yesterday. Combating my own "internal rust".  :D Must have ridden at least two and probably three miles each way for a meal with friends. Food was so-so, evening was good, cycling was good. Made sure to take the bike with working lights!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #569 on: 22 February, 2019, 07:09:52 pm »
Steady on!!!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #570 on: 09 March, 2019, 05:03:41 pm »

« Reply #571 on: 28 March, 2019, 02:40:51 pm »
Maybe stretching the point but friends left a bucket and blanket at the beach hut last weekend. Today I cycled a 67km round trip to retrieve them.

« Reply #572 on: 27 April, 2019, 10:25:29 am »
Half a mile up the road to the local bread man for a loaf of sourdough, some Chelsea buns, and a pot of local honey. Windy and blooming freezing, though I dodged the rain.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #573 on: 27 April, 2019, 11:15:16 am »
Half a mile up the road to the local bread man for a loaf of sourdough, some Chelsea buns, and a pot of local honey. Windy and blooming freezing, though I dodged the rain.
One of the best possible utilitarian adventures.

« Reply #574 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:35:39 pm »
Eldest monkey lost her swimming goggles. Me being the hero father I am cycled the 30k round trip to decathlon who thankfully are open till 8pm for replacements