Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 178195 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #800 on: 04 February, 2018, 12:43:20 pm »
The A507 is awful. I recall cycling along it on my first day of my first ever solo cycle camping trip. I camped at a small site near Baldock and felt shell-shocked when I arrived.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #801 on: 04 February, 2018, 05:33:17 pm »
I don't mind it when I get on it at 2 or 4am, Essexbound, as there's little traffic, and it feels more downhill. Coming back in the early to late evening, with fresh legs and more traffic, it's a pain. Not worked out an alternative though. I don't ride on the A120 around Bishops Stortford now, even though the lanes around Stansted airport are slower.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #802 on: 11 February, 2018, 08:49:07 am »
He crossed 70,000 miles some time in the small hours this morning. Woohoo!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #803 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:08:25 am »
He crossed 70,000 miles some time in the small hours this morning. Woohoo!

5,000 miles to to beat Tommy's record in 20 days? That's 250 miles a day... impossible?

« Reply #804 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:35:48 am »
21 days left, so 241 miles a day.  :-\

whosatthewheel

« Reply #805 on: 11 February, 2018, 11:52:36 am »

So in AUK currency that's 385 km a day, give or take small change... very hard!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #806 on: 11 February, 2018, 12:47:17 pm »

So in AUK currency that's 385 km a day, give or take small change... very hard!
Just come back from a club run. That distance in that wind? Very hard. We should congratulate Steve on the ride he has done. He will not beat Tommy but it is an amazing achievement.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #807 on: 11 February, 2018, 08:14:06 pm »
No tracker movement for 11 hours. Hope he is ok. :(

« Reply #808 on: 11 February, 2018, 08:34:09 pm »
A horrible wind chill today!  Almost a 400km a day seems a very tough ask.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #809 on: 11 February, 2018, 09:44:12 pm »

From the Spot tracker it looked like he did a huge ride yesterday - maybe a 24hr effort? But I find it difficult to interpret the data sometimes. Hope he is ok - It's certainly incredible to see how much he's done/is doing. I'm not even going out - far too cold  :(

whosatthewheel

« Reply #810 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:49:21 am »

From the Spot tracker it looked like he did a huge ride yesterday - maybe a 24hr effort? But I find it difficult to interpret the data sometimes. Hope he is ok - It's certainly incredible to see how much he's done/is doing. I'm not even going out - far too cold  :(

My impression is that he spent an awful lot of time on the road, but didn't go very far. It took him 9 hours to do the last 50 miles. He's getting slower and slower and by his own admission, Tommy's record is now beyond reach.
Fatigue...

« Reply #811 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:56:35 am »
Just posted to Twitter:
Not looking good for me getting Tommy Godwins record but I'll keep going until the end all the same.

Just woke up after about 20hrs sleep. I thought that consolidating all my sleep in a bed would be better than churches, bus shelters and Maccy Ds. Now to see if I can do a day without nodding off...

And Strava:
That's probably put an end to my getting Tommy Godwins year record. More in description....
Now that I'm sleeping better I am more awake and riding more hours a week. Trouble is that the speed isn't there. It hasn't really gone up since I was run over in December. I'm still below pace even when I have a good tailwind. I still can't get through a day without needing a sleep either. This ride is a good example. Late start because I woke up late after a longer than usual sleep. Very good tailwind, but still only averaging below 16mph where I'd expect 17-18, at least!
I don't know why. My injuries don't hurt nor do they bother me. My left leg does ache after a while, so maybe I'm not recovered from that yet? I feel better and more awake until I get sleepy in the afternoon. but feel better again after a sleep.
I started getting sleepy on this ride so headed to Mc Donalds in Ely. Somewhere warm where I won't be disturbed. They do salads as well. Also handy to have a toilet nearby after a sleep and coffee.
I put my head on the table and an hour had passed by.
My guess is that I'm not fully recovered from my injuries. I feel much less tired overall and mentally. I just get an urge to sleep in the early-late afternoon. There is a natural lull in wakefulness at that time of day. I have tried riding a bit faster but I just get sleepy and end up stopping for more sleep. I am guessing that it's more down to physical tiredness from not being recovered from my injuries rather than overall lack of sleep. But who knows...?
The bottom line is that I'm not going fast enough and can't ride any more hours than I am.

Falling asleep riding into a headwind. Couldn't stay awake for more than 5 miles, so kept stopping to sleep. Lucky to find a bank foyer that was open so I didn't have to sleep in near freezing temperatures every time.

« Reply #812 on: 12 February, 2018, 02:40:05 pm »
Wow. Steve is astonishing in his mental and physical resilience. Maybe time for the motorist who knocked him off to fund the next attempt?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #813 on: 12 February, 2018, 03:07:19 pm »
Don't talk about a next attempt. Time for Steve to think of other things and refresh his mind and legs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #814 on: 12 February, 2018, 03:11:49 pm »
Don't talk about a next attempt. Time for Steve to think of other things and refresh his mind and legs.

Very much THIS!

« Reply #815 on: 12 February, 2018, 03:51:02 pm »

Very much THIS!
I agree: Another attempt would be a bit too close to Captain Ahab for me, but it is obviously up to him. My take on it is that he has demonstrated just how difficult trying to break Godwin's record actually is. There are not many who could show that amount of strength and fortitude. But for those who blame the car driver: Surely that sort of thing is inherent in trying to ride 12+ hours a day for every day of the year on UK roads. Didn't Godwin himself break a collar bone during his attempt? & the winter of 1939 was pretty nasty. I don't think the 'if only' attitude helps in this situation.

« Reply #816 on: 12 February, 2018, 03:52:34 pm »

I absolutely agree - there can be a limit to how dedicated one can be. I think Steve's already excelled it! :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #817 on: 12 February, 2018, 04:39:00 pm »
I hope Steve reaches the end of this attempt safely, pushing himself over the next 3 weeks or so as much as makes him happy.

He can then reflect on what an extraordinary thing he has achieved on public UK roads on an upright bike.  I don't think there is anyone else currently active in the UK who could have done so much given the constraints he placed on himself.

« Reply #818 on: 12 February, 2018, 04:40:13 pm »
Or imposed on him by our insane traffic conditions.

« Reply #819 on: 12 February, 2018, 04:55:06 pm »
finish and register for a new record category - max mileage in 3 years - would surely be Steve's forever  :)

GO STEVE GO!!

« Reply #820 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:55:17 pm »
Will Steve have any records at the end of this year?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

simonp

« Reply #821 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:57:37 pm »
As he’s beaten his own best distance he will hold the UMCA age group record.

« Reply #822 on: 12 February, 2018, 09:00:49 pm »
And the month record I do believe.

I do hope he has a plan, IMHO it's not going to be easy returning to reality.

What he's done over the last few years beggars belief.

« Reply #823 on: 12 February, 2018, 09:18:21 pm »
As he’s beaten his own best distance he will hold the UMCA age group record.

I thought that, but as Kurt is older, and went further, does it mean much for all that effort?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #824 on: 12 February, 2018, 10:12:12 pm »

I thought that, but as Kurt is older, and went further, does it mean much for all that effort?

It's a strange challenge and it might well be that being young doesn't help... that said AC is considerably younger than both the guys