Author Topic: Essex R&R 100 & 200km, 6th August 2016  (Read 4064 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Essex R&R 100 & 200km, 6th August 2016
« on: 13 June, 2016, 10:47:57 am »
New event for 2016: Essex R&R 215km and A Little Essex R&R 107km, full details on the AUK calendar pages.
The R&R bit is for Rivers and Reservoirs of which you will visit several and 2 respectively.  Originally intended to complement the selection of Audax available in Essex this event will also now be the inaugural Audax Club Mid-Essex (ACME) offering.

The start/arrivee is the Witham Labour Hall, Collingwood Road, CM8 2EE.  No political affiliation, just a good location to use as HQ.  Being very close to the railway station with frequent trains from London and Norwich/Ipswich/Colchester or plenty of free car parking make travel arrangements easy to organise. 
A simple breakfast and some post ride refreshments are planned for these rides which are intended to be approached as full value to take advantage of the summer countryside and some refreshment opportunities for the other meaning of R&R  :)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Re: Essex R&R 100 & 200km, 6th August 2016
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2016, 11:21:37 am »
Nice work Huggy, those look like two great routes for a summer ride  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2016, 01:26:34 pm »
 :thumbsup: I've signed up for the 200 and ridden a version of the 100km a few weeks ago, very enjoyable! :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2016, 01:53:20 pm »
Looking forward to the 200, after the DIY route check of it last month!  :thumbsup:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2016, 12:06:40 pm »
Okay, some minor tweaks made to the route after test ride 1 feedback of both the 100 & 200 and route sheets are now written up.  GPX tracks also available.
I am thinking about test ride #2 of the 200 on Saturday 16th June if anyone else is interested.  This can't be an official helpers' ride due to it being earlier than 14 days before the calendar event, however I would ride it as a DIY by GPS on the 16th.
Other dates possible for a helpers' ride for the 200 are the 23rd and 30th June, I may be able to ride the 30th myself.  Anyone who has offered their helping services for the event fancy riding on those dates?

The majority of the 100 route uses the same roads as the 200, I'm just planning a quick blast out over the non-shared roads maybe one evening to prove route sheet instructions.  Anyone else is welcome to ride some or all of it with the route sheet to provide helpful feedback, just let me know if you would like the sheet.

« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2016, 05:14:18 pm »
I have just route checked the 100k version.

Arrivee is within 100m of Witham Station but in less than a km you are on a country lane on NCN16.  From there the route passes through much of the best that mid-Essex has to offer and would show a different side to Essex for many that don't know it that well.  It will probably be a bit more undulating than some would expect, (although admittedly that is a relative concept in the flatlands).

The first leg is straight into the prevailing wind which means that you have a tailwind for most of the second half when you need it.

All in all, it is a great route for someone looking at a first 100k or, like me, someone who struggles to fit in a 200 with everything else that happens in the summer.

As an added bonus, Huggy had arranged some very special mechanical cover.  When I pulled over for a hedge stop and took the opportunity for a quick faff, none other than Alex Dowsett pulled over to make sure I didn't need anything.

Good luck to the braver souls riding the Sunday route check of the 200  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:27:12 pm »
Alex who?

Was he admiring the footwear or were you in 'race' mode?

« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2016, 09:01:02 am »
I had my new white shoes on  :thumbsup:

I'm think he might have been dazzled.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2016, 11:37:47 am »
Thanks Ted and for the feedback in email  :thumbsup:

That's the 100k route sheet locked down then, the 200k gets a final rides with helpers on Sunday 31st. The route and info sheets have been emailed out as entries have been received over the last couple of weeks to aid with preparation, however a further email with the very latest editions of the sheets will be sent out early next week and printed copies will be available at the start if anyone needs one.

Both rides are being well supported with entries and with some on the line entries expected there could be around 70 riders seen audaxing the roads of Essex next weekend  :thumbsup:
Looking forward to seeing you all on the 6th!

Alex did call me early on Friday to ask if I'd like him to offer a broom wagon service for our esteemed AUK member out solo on Friday morning, I gratefully accepted his offer, unfortunately I think he's busy next weekend so can't repeat the service.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2016, 11:21:07 am »
Great helpers ride yesterday to finally route check the 200km. Decent pace between controls and nice relaxed stops - we had to check arrangements with the cafes and of course test the energy drink at the last control. The route is really good, and made me feel we had been all over Essex (with a brief foray into Suffolk) by the time we finished, I think because it linked up many places we had been before but not in the same day.

If you haven't already entered, do consider it - the start is about 50 pedal turns from Witham station for all you Londoners.  I look forward to stamping your cards at Abberton.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2016, 11:52:23 am »
Alex who?

Was he admiring the footwear or were you in 'race' mode?

He's probably heard about the timetrialling sandals and was looking for some additional tips from the soon-to-be-crowned VC Oyster TT Champ
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #11 on: 01 August, 2016, 01:15:29 pm »
It's you he should be speaking to.

I owe it all to Coach Oaky  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #12 on: 01 August, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
I should be riding with him and Cav soon Ted shall I ask him what was most 'memorable' about his first meeting with you?

I'm sure he would remember the sandal wearing VC Oyster in the Rapha socks........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2016, 03:52:34 pm »
Sadly, I wasn't in time trial mode on Friday so there were no sandals to see  :o

He will remember a fit, tanned and dapper looking cyclist standing at the side of Edwins Hall Lane with bright white shoes on.

Is he still an FKW or is he allowed to wear his kit ?

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #14 on: 01 August, 2016, 04:00:12 pm »
He will remember a fit, tanned and dapper looking cyclist standing at the side of Edwins Hall Lane with bright white shoes on.

Is he still an FKW or is he allowed to wear his kit ?

But I wasn't there it was you............

I think he's always in FKW mode isn't he it's in his contract!
You can purchase his training TT bike from this season if you wish for a reasonable price of 4K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2016, 12:25:13 am »
Updated and final versions of info and route sheets emailed out, postal entry sheets will be in the post in the morning.  AUKweb is also updated; the GPX tracks are unchanged.
Please refer to the latest versions as there are important changes and on the road hazard info.

Over 75 riders to be on the Essex roads for some R&R on Saturday with still a few days for last minute and on-the-line entries to increase the numbers further  :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:18:42 pm »
Hi Grant

Sorry but going on family holiday on Sunday so Saturday is out for me, DNS - Allen O'Leary. Have a great day!!!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
Hi Grant

Sorry but going on family holiday on Sunday so Saturday is out for me, DNS - Allen O'Leary. Have a great day!!!
Shame we won't be seeing you on Saturday Allen, enjoy your holiday though!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #18 on: 04 August, 2016, 07:31:42 pm »
Both rides are being well supported with entries and with some on the line entries expected there could be around 70 riders seen audaxing the roads of Essex next weekend  :thumbsup:
Looking forward to seeing you all on the 6th!
Make that 90+ now  :o
More caik required!!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #19 on: 04 August, 2016, 07:47:26 pm »
 :thumbsup: EPIC!!!!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #20 on: 05 August, 2016, 11:05:26 pm »
Good turn out. There's a real appetite for this audax thing innit?

« Reply #21 on: 05 August, 2016, 11:28:32 pm »
I'll be ece-ing it at midnight. Get the breakfast ready!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #22 on: 06 August, 2016, 01:04:40 pm »
Here is a link to all my photos of the start.
https://goo.gl/photos/BWHnGUrvVCDEDX1v6

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #23 on: 07 August, 2016, 12:58:12 am »
This ride turned out to be most satisfying East Anglian event for me this year, which exceeded my expectations.  I tend not to pre-study routes and was anticipating riding on mainly busy roads with substandard driving.  I found the route to be quite laney and refreshing as I found 70% of the route with roads that I have never ridden.  With clear instructions, no extra kilometers were needlessly added with mis-turns. Finished at 9.00pm in the elite group of lantern rouges, Big Saxon and John T.

Many thanks to Grant for organising  a new and interesting event, bhoot for control duties at Abberton reservoir and for returning my rucksack which I managed to leave behind at that control; (not the 1st time in being absentminded) and Tomsk for manning Finchingfield control.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
CCS - Setting the Standards

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #24 on: 07 August, 2016, 06:39:39 am »
A superb new event from a new organiser who did a cracking job along with his catering team and controllers - well done huggy and helpers!

I had a leisurely ride enjoying a fair few short but sweet stops.  My legs help up well throughout and the weather was gorgeous. It was also lovely to meet up again with old friends and meet some new faces as well.

A top day out  :thumbsup: