General Category > Further and Faster

Too fit or too unfit? HRM question

<< < (7/16) > >>

Feline:

--- Quote from: road-runner on 26 February, 2012, 02:21:56 am ---
--- Quote from: simonp on 26 February, 2012, 01:34:53 am ---3h after the ride I started to feel hungry ...

--- End quote ---

I forget the technical terminology but your body is best disposed to replace the lost glycone stores during the first 90 minutes after a ride, so that would be the time for a high protein, high carb meal. Jacket potatoes with beans & cheese sounds ideal, ideally sooner but better late than never!

--- End quote ---

If you fail to eat it in the first 90 minutes what negative consequences does it have? Does it make your full recovery time slower?

GruB:

--- Quote from: simonp on 26 February, 2012, 01:34:53 am ---
--- Quote from: GruB on 25 February, 2012, 08:04:26 pm ---Cereal?

--- End quote ---

3h after the ride I started to feel hungry so had a couple of jacket potatoes with beans & cheese, and later I had fruit salad and yogurt, and then oatcakes and stilton.

I’ve managed to eat 4526 of my required 5551 calories for the day, still a 1000 calorie deficit despite eating like a pig. :)

--- End quote ---

I find that when my body has 'forgotten' to eat ( this doesn't happen often ) I need to start the process off and then I am okay.  Cereal is quite good.  Perhaps it is the psychology of it related to breakfast ?

citoyen:

--- Quote from: Feline on 15 February, 2012, 08:43:26 pm ---My heart rate can reach 195bpm on the bike which at my age shouldn't even be possible. I have stopped using the HR band  :D

--- End quote ---

Hmmm. Interesting. I used my HRM on my commute for the first time this morning. I'm not sure it's going to be able to tell me anything useful.

I'll need to check the full stats when I upload the data this evening but there were points where it was claiming I was well above the 90th percentile effort. Thing is, I know I rode quite hard, but I didn't feel that I was going "nearly flat out" at any time. (According to the usual formulae, my max HR should be around 180 but clearly that's nonsense.)

Apparently, I averaged 151bpm for the 33 minutes I was riding, so regardless of whatever "zone" that falls into, I think it counts a pretty decent workout.

Must measure my max HR properly and tweak the settings...

d.

citoyen:
I mean the usual formulae you get presented with if you search for "max hr calculator" on google (eg 220-age), which are clearly based on population scale averages. I'm sure they're fine for the purposes of working out an average HR max for a given age group, so they're not nonsense in that sense - just nonsense for most of us cyclists who are fitter than average.

Obviously there's no substitute for measuring your individual HR max properly, using science instead of statistics.

(I know I'm not telling anyone here anything they don't already know.)

d.

simonp:
http://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/hrmax-info

Look at the picture. Throw away the calculator.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version