Author Topic: The three Abbeys Wigginton Autumn brevet  (Read 3084 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
The three Abbeys Wigginton Autumn brevet
« on: 05 September, 2017, 02:12:28 pm »
Anyone riding this, this year?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-826/

It's going to be my first proper ride of the year, as I'm giving my self a goal for building up distance.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: The three Abbeys Wigginton Autumn brevet
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2017, 02:45:54 pm »
Anyone riding this, this year?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-826/

It's going to be my first proper ride of the year, as I'm giving my self a goal for building up distance.

Funnily enough I'm sat in a quiet space at Ampleforth right now, looking out at the pouring rain, and it is still a beautiful place to visit. I can't ride on that date, but if the route is still the same and only the name has changed, then this is a really friendly event. I hope you enjoy it Hulver.

hulver

« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2017, 03:20:27 pm »

Funnily enough I'm sat in a quiet space at Ampleforth right now, looking out at the pouring rain, and it is still a beautiful place to visit. I can't ride on that date, but if the route is still the same and only the name has changed, then this is a really friendly event. I hope you enjoy it Hulver.

The route the Audax page links to is still titled "Gerry's Autumn Brevet" so I don't think it's changed much.  ;D

I'm looking forward to it, I grew up around there and I love going back to ride around it.

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2017, 07:03:18 pm »
I've entered, I always aim to do this ride - it generally gets a good turnout of the usual suspects, and it feels like a nice way to end the programme (at least in terms of the calendar year, there aren't many events after this reasonable local to me).
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

hulver

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2017, 05:45:18 pm »
The GPS route linked to from the Audax page appears to be a different version of the ride, with the first Info control in a different place (Buttercrambe, not Menethorpe).

I've got some routes I've just done, if anybody is interested I'll try and find a place to upload them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2017, 12:59:51 am »
Slightly OT but Gerry Boswell, who originated these rides has had his blue Dave Yates nicked tonight.
Please keep your eyes peeled!

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2017, 09:12:00 pm »
Slightly OT but Gerry Boswell, who originated these rides has had his blue Dave Yates nicked tonight.
Please keep your eyes peeled!

It has been recovered but from what I understand from speaking to him earlier it has been damaged

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 08 September, 2017, 09:30:56 pm »
Indeed. Spokes have been cut and there's frame damage. A BIG bill awaits and his insurers won't pay.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2017, 09:48:27 pm »
Bastards, the lot of them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:32:40 am »
Guess what I've just entered?

I've done a grand total of zero audax rides this season, so it'll  be good to squeee something in.

« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2017, 06:00:40 pm »
The GPS route linked to from the Audax page appears to be a different version of the ride, with the first Info control in a different place (Buttercrambe, not Menethorpe).

Yes, this has me puzzled too.  I ride with a paper route sheet rather than GPX, so I'm hoping that's definitive.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2017, 06:04:55 pm »

Yes, this has me puzzled too.  I ride with a paper route sheet rather than GPX, so I'm hoping that's definitive.

When I entered I received an email warning me not to use the GPX on the AUK website, with a link to http://www.ctcnorthyorkshire.org.uk/3abbyes/ (note the typo).  This seems to agree with the routesheet.

hulver

« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:43:41 am »
I usually make my own GPX from the route sheet, as it gives me a chance to study the route first as well.

Hopefully I'll get around it (I'm hopelessly unfit) but we'll see.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:48:35 pm »
You'll be reet.  It's downhill all the way from the second control...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #14 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:25:35 pm »
Holy crap... She'll be taking up roll-ups and pints soon, the way she's channelling That Deano ;)

« Reply #15 on: 20 October, 2017, 08:36:24 am »

I've reminded Nick how to update this and the route sheet and ride-with-GPS track look to be in agreement now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2017, 09:19:32 am »
"Damn and blast lurgy" said Kim, the words coming easily through force of habit.

I dragged myself to York last night in spite of feeling nonspecifically awful.  I'm now feeling more specifically awful, vis hot/cold and shaky, as well as prolific snot, and managed all of about half an hour of sleep.  I could force myself to ride, but it'll be Type 2 fun at best, and the prospect of DNFing in this condition really doesn't appeal.  Fuck it.

I expect I acquired a cold in the waiting room while getting my flu jab.  Ironic virus bastards.

Good luck anyway hulver.

hulver

« Reply #17 on: 22 October, 2017, 06:42:36 pm »
"Damn and blast lurgy" said Kim, the words coming easily through force of habit.

I dragged myself to York last night in spite of feeling nonspecifically awful.  I'm now feeling more specifically awful, vis hot/cold and shaky, as well as prolific snot, and managed all of about half an hour of sleep.  I could force myself to ride, but it'll be Type 2 fun at best, and the prospect of DNFing in this condition really doesn't appeal.  Fuck it.

I expect I acquired a cold in the waiting room while getting my flu jab.  Ironic virus bastards.

Good luck anyway hulver.

Sorry you missed it. I did to, but for more "I think I'll hate every minute of it" reasons, than a valid excuse. It was raining pretty persistantly when I got up in the morning, despite the weather app for the location saying "There's no rain", looking out of the window showed that to be a lie. As it was still windy I decided to spend the day catching up with family and having sunday lunch at the pub instead.

Saw quite a few people arriving for the off, and a few trains coming back at the end as well. So I hope some people had fun.

« Reply #18 on: 23 October, 2017, 12:15:57 pm »
I did the ride, despite a damp and windy start it turned into an enjoyable day.  Quite sheltered from the wind for much of the ride, although the headwind was quite hard in the middle bit, but then it turned into a tailwind for some of the last section.  And it even dried out with a spot of sunshine in the afternoon.  There was a scenic change to the route, taking us past Kirkham Abbey rather than along the B road.  On the other hand, this also introduced a long climb up from the Abbey towards Malton.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #19 on: 23 October, 2017, 12:23:24 pm »
I missed it too. Got a cold.  Confound it!
Milk please, no sugar.