Author Topic: I still hate the new Arrivee design  (Read 21193 times)

Re: I still hate the new Arrivee design
« Reply #25 on: 15 June, 2018, 02:57:27 pm »
My son was disappointed with this Arrivee, again! Please include more pictures with triangular drain covers in, it'll make his day.

Otherwise I think the new style is great. Shows the organisation is going forward. And what is wrong with circles? They are great containers for non leading images. Perhaps though a few could be contained in sprocket and chainring outlines so they aren't all mistaken for wheels?  ;D

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #26 on: 15 June, 2018, 03:24:31 pm »
Well FWIW my opinion is that it's excellent and the articles very interesting. So much so that I've put it aside for deeper reading when I get a bit of time. It's not for rushing through. I also especially liked the woman's view of touring which is good enough to be in The Guardian, I think.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #27 on: 15 June, 2018, 03:50:07 pm »
Is nobody to be allowed an opinion without being told to do it themselves?  Certainly the effort involved is both colossal and colossally appreciated.  Does that mean comment is forbidden?

Peter

I hope I wasn't saying comment is forbidden, just that slagging Arrivee off in public isn't necessarily a very effective method.  As I pointed out, there is a vacancy for Communications Director, and my perception is that the vacancy isn't due to excessive negativity with Arrivee but it may have played a small part.  For my part, I have offered some opinions privately to the Communications Director and I believe they were kindly received.

« Reply #28 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:12:15 pm »
Whats going on i ask myself, articles of young attractive ladies and children out enjoying there bikes. No,no. This is unacceptable,  this is all wrong i tell you. Were are the grumpy old men with sandles and beards , this gives the wrong idea of audax :demon: :demon:

Ok . i think its great :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:23:50 pm »
Well my copy turned up this morning and its wonderful.  Lots of interesting articles, people on bikes enjoying themselves,even invisible arms. The whole thing is an absolute credit to Audax UK and those who put it together.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:28:14 pm »
this simply isn't good design. (I was in magazine production 1987 - 2001.)

Well, I've only been involved in magazine production since the late 90s so my opinion is obviously not worth much, but I entirely disagree with you.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #31 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:33:29 pm »
I generally don't mind the new design but I wish the cover said "Arrivee" not WWWee.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #32 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:41:02 pm »
Whats going on i ask myself, articles of young attractive ladies and children out enjoying there bikes.

Fancy having a young, athletic-looking woman on the cover. People could be mistaken into believing it's the 21st century or something.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #33 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:57:46 pm »
it may even make riding in big-big 'rings fashionable.. 8)

« Reply #34 on: 15 June, 2018, 06:58:27 pm »

That'll make people cross.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:26:12 pm »
There are some really nice pictures this month, so I totally disagree with everyone that has slagged them off.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:27:17 pm »

That'll make people cross.
I'm torn between groaning at Ian's "observation", or commenting on how everyone spots something relevant to their own interests in a photo :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:43:39 pm »
There should be a ban on helmet mentions though.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #38 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:52:04 pm »

Perhaps there could be an editorial policy to amend every mention of 'helmet'.  What word or phrase might be a suitable replacement?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:02:23 pm »

Perhaps there could be an editorial policy to amend every mention of 'helmet'.  What word or phrase might be a suitable replacement?
Shrubbery.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #40 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:28:53 pm »
I haven't looked at Kim's copy closely but I quite liked the new layout the circles work well from what I can see.

« Reply #41 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:04:36 pm »
Is nobody to be allowed an opinion without being told to do it themselves?  Certainly the effort involved is both colossal and colossally appreciated.  Does that mean comment is forbidden?

Peter

I hope I wasn't saying comment is forbidden, just that slagging Arrivee off in public isn't necessarily a very effective method.  As I pointed out, there is a vacancy for Communications Director, and my perception is that the vacancy isn't due to excessive negativity with Arrivee but it may have played a small part.  For my part, I have offered some opinions privately to the Communications Director and I believe they were kindly received.

No, I didn't take your post like that, at all, Mike.  As usual you are an exemplar of how to be reasonable.

peter

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:43:56 pm »
I generally don't mind the new design but I wish the cover said "Arrivee" not WWWee.

Agreed. There was a small discussion about this on twitter earlier, I had a number of people look at it, including a couple of people who work in accessibility.

The verdict was:

"I read it as ah-wooh-wooh-wooh-weee."

and

"Looks like wwee to me"

I don't know how the font on the front got past accessibility testing. This Dyslexic can't read it properly atall.

Content inside seems ok, the first one I got seemed a bit light on non male riders in the pictures. Based on the cover image of the latest, I have reasonable hope this one may not suffer the same.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #43 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:47:10 pm »
Whats going on i ask myself, articles of young attractive ladies and children out enjoying there bikes. No,no. This is unacceptable,  this is all wrong i tell you. Were are the grumpy old men with sandles and beards , this gives the wrong idea of audax :demon: :demon:

Ok . i think its great :thumbsup:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #44 on: 16 June, 2018, 12:41:58 am »
My son was disappointed with this Arrivee, again! Please include more pictures with triangular drain covers in, it'll make his day.

Otherwise I think the new style is great. Shows the organisation is going forward. And what is wrong with circles? They are great containers for non leading images. Perhaps though a few could be contained in sprocket and chainring outlines so they aren't all mistaken for wheels?  ;D

I doubt the complainers will mistake them for wheels unless they've got at least 36 spokes.

Bairn Again

« Reply #45 on: 16 June, 2018, 08:18:04 pm »
just got mine today and loved it.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #46 on: 16 June, 2018, 08:30:41 pm »
I have no experience with magazine layout except for running an anarchist fanzine in the 80s

I think the new layout is just fine.  The obvious effort that's has gone into trying to improve the magazine impresses me

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #47 on: 16 June, 2018, 10:43:25 pm »
I like the new format a lot and hopefully the editors push the boat out a bit more as they grow comfortable with the theme. Definitely something I think will be more likely to be read by the next punter I offer my copy to once I've finished it.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 16 June, 2018, 10:59:01 pm »
Must be doing something right, I found barakta reading it earlier.  Her only complaint was poor contrast on some of the text due to bad choice of background.

« Reply #49 on: 17 June, 2018, 08:33:09 pm »
I have to say I think the important bit to me is the content, and it was pretty readable with some nice pics too, so no complaints. I would happily pay for it separately to my Audax fee.