Author Topic: How to remove silicone sealant from carbon fibre  (Read 1898 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
How to remove silicone sealant from carbon fibre
« on: 25 June, 2018, 06:59:09 am »
The indicators in my Milan Velomobile have failed again.

They are held in place by silicone sealant. They can be pulled out but then to refit is very tricky as the silicone residue means you can’t get them flush against the body again. I tried scraping it away with a knife but that is almost impossible.

Can I use a hairdryer to warm the silicone and make it runny again, or will that damage the carbon fibre or the paint job on the outside? Or is there some kind of liquid I can add to dissolve the silicone?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: How to remove silicone sealant from carbon fibre
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:13:28 am »
Don't think heating will help, at least not at a temperature low enough to avoid damage to the carbon fibre.

I've used a chemical product in the past but that was in a tiled shower again I'm not sure what effect that would have on the carbon fibre. I'd persist with a knife, it will come but frustratingly slowly

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:51:38 am »
I seen people use WD-40 to help remove silicone around a bath. That and a hard plastic silicone remover might be safer than a knife.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:55:37 am »
I seen people use WD-40 to help remove silicone around a bath. That and a hard plastic silicone remover might be safer than a knife.

Just done that, resealed the bath, that is. WD40 plus a softish plastic scraper that will not scratch the finish.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:07:20 am »
Ok, I will give it a go with Wd-40. It’s right in the nose of the Velomobile so access is really tight. And we did it all just 4 months ago. Cheap Chinese LEDs  ::-)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:53:57 pm »
check why the old leds have failed and act accordingly.  There are any number of reasons why they might have failed and it is rarely to do with them being 'cheap'.

For example if you used silicon sealant, it might have been the sort that is OK for bathroom fittings, but releases enough acetic acid that it will wreck anything electrical that is within it.

cheers