Author Topic: Kings, Castles, Priests and Churches - a hilly 200km bike ride!  (Read 1352 times)

Kings, Castles, Priests and Churches - a hilly 200km bike ride!
« on: 02 December, 2018, 06:20:19 pm »
This Saturday I enjoyed a great 200km bike ride from Tewkesbury, quite a hilly one I might add, well done to Mark Rigby for organising such a great event.  Next time I shall look forward to a sunny day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hETbO0tQTuM
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

Re: Kings, Castles, Priests and Churches - a hilly 200km bike ride!
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2018, 07:43:59 am »
Agree - well done Mark for another excellent and challenging ride. Well done to Richard as well for the excellent video which captured the dampness perfectly.

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2018, 09:22:21 am »
During the ride, I remembered why I hadn’t been to Tewkesbury for a few years: the road/lane conditions. The rain washing everything onto them on the down and ups didn’t help. I found it hard in places, due to being reduced to three gears after about 20 miles, and had doubts I’d finish in time, if at all, but I was spurred on by the thought that my only dnf was due to crank failure on Mark’s January Sale, and I didn’t want another. A rider in Kington said the route back was flatter, and I phoned Mark who said I’d done 90% of the climbs. I loosened the gear cable to use a higher gear cog and made my way to the garage control. Other riders were just leaving, but I knew there were a few behind, who arrived while I had my coffee. I was in a good mood on the flatter roads until I felt my front tyre softening on a dark road. I carried on a while, hoping for a streetlight or dry spot to change it. I found neither, so stopped when I could go no further. I felt demoralised again as I put on a new tyre and tube, watching riders go by. At least it wasn’t raining. I arrived back wth over half an hour to spare, enough time for a well earned pint, but not enough time (I felt) to order a pizza or burger and chips, enjoy it, and let it settle before the hilly ride home (in the rain again!).

Thanks Mark
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2018, 12:16:17 pm »
Good ride and drier than I'd expected.
Started half an hour late as the drizzle eased off, having put a jacket on and then removed it as it was warm (and forecast to warm up).
Rode with Matt and Will for the first part till Matt 'released' Will V to TT it round. Roads were fairly good to Bromyard and then on via Tenbury to Ludlow. Climb out of Ludlow the first proper climb of the day with some nice descents as payback. Fast descent into Presteigne (Wales), but not as fast as the Midlander who came past (single track road) unheralded at about 70kph - he explained that he hadn't wanted to brake nor stay in my wake. Rode with his group of three to Kingston, where I went to the Angel Fish Bar for F&C. Thought about putting a jacket on but it was warm and getting drier.
Climbed out of Kington and dropped down into the Wye valley at Bredwardine. Fast peaceful roads though the minor ones past Shenmore were the muckiest encountered. Past noone and passing noone to Lock's Garage - who were very proud of their 'stamp' (and another pint of milk). Chased off through Wormelow Tump and Hoarwithy, was sucked and then left by a mute near King Caple, and finally caught my 'three minute' man (who'd left the garage before me) at How Caple. Over the ride the fresh wind had veered from SSE (tailwind to Ludlow) round to SW so excellent help from the last control back to Tewkesbury. To be frank I didn't notice the headwind from Presteigne to Winnal Common except when the road swung round to the SW when one realised it was there, and some gusty turbulence going through a village (?Titley). Stopped to fit my 'to see by' front light near Stocking (about 4pm) for the last 35k and a few passed. Caught up with Matt (who'd I'd ridden out with 8 hours earlier) and rode home with him - he was surprisingly fresh ;)  The route's last miles parallel the M50 but its weekend closure (from the M5 to J2) meant that the quiet of the Severn plain was undisturbed from Bromsberrow west.
Mark had cornered (as is his habit and wont) a corner table in the Royal Hop Pole and accepting a steady stream of supplications (in the form of brevet cards and receipts) for "instant validation" but not accepting repeated offers of a drink.
Thanks, Mark.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2018, 06:46:00 pm »
 Caught up with Matt (who'd I'd ridden out with 8 hours earlier) and rode home with him - he was surprisingly fresh ;) 
Sssssh - everyone will want to know my secret!  [Good to put another real face to an internet name, Mr Bay. ]

A smashing day out. For December you can't really complain about the road conditions. What amazes me is that people want to ride through sections like the "Mud on Road" before Ludlow without mudguards! Still, it's their choice :P

Thanks Mark. and see you all next time.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles