Author Topic: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?  (Read 111264 times)

Martin

Re: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?
« Reply #300 on: 23 June, 2016, 10:25:01 am »
I've enabled direct Paypal entry of my Randonnee + 100 and 100+100 km ECE's, so they can be entered more easily.

Note that I do need another email to confirm the details of the calendar event you are riding, the proposed route of the ECE (Ride with GPS / Strava / Google Maps etc) or a gpx file if preferred. And also if you need a real brevet card!

thanks

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #301 on: 12 July, 2016, 08:10:00 pm »
Can a Helper's (routecheck) ride be extended?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #302 on: 12 July, 2016, 10:48:21 pm »
Can a Helper's (routecheck) ride be extended?

Yes.  You need to let Martin know why the date on your GPX/FIT file is different to the event date and possibly remind him after the date of the event itself has passed (because ISTR he can't put the ECE component up before the ride results are available).  I've done it before, this year even  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Martin

« Reply #303 on: 13 July, 2016, 10:42:28 am »
I can put the ECE result up before the calendar event result. But can't enter a date in the future

Otherwise wot Wilkyboy said :)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #304 on: 13 July, 2016, 06:20:36 pm »
... the date on your GPX/FIT file ...
The ... er ... what?!?

(Thanks chaps. I'd say this is about 40% likely to happen. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #305 on: 02 January, 2017, 09:50:27 am »
NB ECE's can now be entered directly from the AUK website; however for the present I will need a confirmatory email detailing the calendar event being extended; the proposed route to and or from the event (in the form of a link to Ride with GPS, Strava, Google Maps or a simple list of control locations etc) or a gpx track emailed to myself. Please also indicate if you require a traditional brevet card, otherwise it will be assumed you require virtual validation as almost all online entries do nowadays.

note also that I accept "mandatory route" ECE entries if you wish to wiggle around a bit on the ECE without entering extra intermediate controls

The UKcyclist portal is no longer available; my sincere thanks to Ian Hennessy for his invaluable help with this entry system over the years

thanks

Martin

« Reply #306 on: 03 January, 2017, 08:35:41 pm »
Wow - that looks good. Could it also be extended to perms perhaps ... ?

Martin

« Reply #307 on: 03 January, 2017, 11:24:45 pm »
Wow - that looks good. Could it also be extended to perms perhaps ... ?

do you mean the entry system? many perms are already ahead of the game in allowing online entry and gps validation;

or extending perms? that's a work in progress (for someone other than me!)

« Reply #308 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:35:37 am »
extending perms - the old EPE discussion

glad it's being looked into tho  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #309 on: 04 September, 2017, 04:30:59 pm »
Dear riders;

I’m piloting a new ECE process and I’d be very keen for experienced ECE riders to try it out;

It is now possible to ECE an event directly from the calendar page of the event you wish to extend. Note that ECE's may be entered even after the closing date of the calendar event. In order to view the ECE button you need to first login to AUK using your normal AUK number and password. When you click the “ECE this event” button a form opens which is similar to a DIY application form, and the calendar and your details are all pre-filled,

All you need to do is

1.   Select the extra distance
2.   Enter the start and finish points of the ECE and  the total extra distance (this may be longer than the Additional distance selected but will give you a greater time allowance if it is longer)
3.   You may upload a gpx track if you wish, this will deem the ECE to be by mandatory route so you will need to submit a completed gpx file as close to this as possible after the ride
4.   In the Other Information you can specify if you REQUIRE a paper brevet card otherwise it will be assumed you are using gpx validation (we are working on a drop down box elsewhere on the form for the purpose). You may also enter additional intermediate controls if required, and also a google maps link (a google maps link just indicates the controls and minimum distance between them, you are free to take whichever route between them you wish). And anything else you might want to add
5.   Finally hitting the Submit ECE route will generate a form that will be emailed you myself and you. You will not receive any further communication unless there is a problem with the route.

Please follow the Paypal payment  instructions incorporated into the form (the fee has risen to £4 in line with DIY’s but covers the return postage of a paper brevet if required). You may of course print out the form that is emailed back to yourself and post it with a cheque if you prefer but there is a surcharge of £1 for cheque payment ie total £5

Hope you like the new system and find it easier. In due course all the entry forms for ECE's using the current process will be taken down with a single generic page advising the new entry process above.

Thanks!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #310 on: 04 September, 2017, 05:32:46 pm »
I tried the new entry process last night Martin (to retrospectively upload the ECE I had entered last week) and it worked very well indeed.   :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #311 on: 04 September, 2017, 07:47:36 pm »
+1
Entered an ECE on Sat, rode and filed last night. Very quick and easy to use.

« Reply #312 on: 05 September, 2017, 05:07:38 pm »
Hi Martin
The new online form looks really slick.
I have a query - I am doing a 150 calendar event on Saturday and want to ECE it up to a 200. The additional distance pull down only gives choices of 100, 200 or 300. Can I still enter this 50km ECE using the online form?

Martin

« Reply #313 on: 06 September, 2017, 12:22:42 pm »
Hi Martin
The new online form looks really slick.
I have a query - I am doing a 150 calendar event on Saturday and want to ECE it up to a 200. The additional distance pull down only gives choices of 100, 200 or 300. Can I still enter this 50km ECE using the online form?

yes just use the additional 100 option, there has never been a 150+50 option as the points work out exactly the same as 100+100

« Reply #314 on: 07 September, 2017, 11:25:57 am »
Thanks Martin

« Reply #315 on: 13 October, 2017, 09:28:06 pm »
Martin,
The new system for ECEing calendar events seems to extend to perms. Is that correct? It would be fantastic if that were the case! If I'm right, how do we send perm start/finish info to you - scanned POP or gpx? I've looked at the faqs but don't appear to see any reference.

Thanks

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #316 on: 13 October, 2017, 10:54:23 pm »
No, I'm afraid that is an error, the ECE option shouldn't be there for Perms.  That's fixed now.  Thanks for pointing it out.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Martin

« Reply #317 on: 14 October, 2017, 12:40:49 am »
What ff said; there are still no such things as EPE's and there will not be under my watch; DIY's are the way to go for this but good luck getting the same AAA for the perm section as they are being re-assessed

« Reply #318 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:58:15 am »
 :thumbsup:

Multi-day ECE sleeping at home each night ?
« Reply #319 on: 27 October, 2017, 03:25:54 pm »
I have a full weekend pass coming soon, and I hope to ride 100 on the way home from work on Friday, do a 200 calendar event (riding an extra 100 each way to and from the start) on Saturday, and then finish off with a 200k loop from home on Sunday.

Is it within the spirit of ECE to treat work->home(sleep)->event as the outbound leg and event->home(sleep)->200k-loop->home as the return leg to make the whole weekend into a single 700 ECE, or should it be a 400 ECE on Saturday with Friday and Sunday as separate DIYs ?

Re: Multi-day ECE sleeping at home each night ?
« Reply #320 on: 27 October, 2017, 03:52:01 pm »
I have a full weekend pass coming soon, and I hope ride 100 on the way home from work on Friday, do a 200 calendar event (riding an extra 100 each way to and from the start) on Saturday, and then finish off with a 200k loop from home on Sunday.

Is it within the spirit of ECE to treat work->home(sleep)->event as the outbound leg and event->home(sleep)->200k-loop->home as the return leg to make the whole weekend into a single 700 ECE, or should it be a 400 ECE on Saturday with Friday and Sunday as separate DIYs ?

You should bear in mind that the clock starts ticking when you start the ride. If your total distance is 700km, you would have approx 49 hours to finish the ride. So what you propose could fit into that timescale.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #321 on: 27 October, 2017, 04:12:50 pm »
IIRC, 700km gets you into the 13-1/3kph min speed category => 52.5hours to complete

(which makes it attractive for a late Friday start time  :thumbsup: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #322 on: 27 October, 2017, 04:19:53 pm »
If your total distance is 700km, you would have approx 49 hours to finish the ride. So what you propose could fit into that timescale.

I think the time limit aspect will be ok,  what concerns me most is whether it's legitimate to have home as both a half-way sleep stop and the final destination on the return leg.

« Reply #323 on: 27 October, 2017, 04:40:29 pm »
I think the time limit aspect will be ok,  what concerns me most is whether it's legitimate to have home as both a half-way sleep stop and the final destination on the return leg.

Also, is it allowed for a single ECE to include 2 calendar events, i.e. change my plan a bit so that my Sunday 200k is a 100k calendar event with 50k each way ride to and from, so I have a single 5-leg ECE (work->start1, event1, start1->start2, event2, start2->home) with home as an overnight stopping point on both the work->start1 and start1->start2 legs ?

« Reply #324 on: 27 October, 2017, 04:40:42 pm »

Why not?  Some events have used a shamrock system involving 3 loops from a set base.  For example, A-B with control at A and B, A-C etc, A-D etc.  Just imagine a 600 with a static control at A for 0, 200, 400, 600 control, and 100 at B, 300 at C and 500 at D.  As long as you do not travel the same road in the same direction more than once then all is OK.  Exception made for entering control such as on the BCM where you ride up to Kings YH twice and back twice.

Also Chris Crossland's 600 events on 16 June 2018 involve a control at the start which you revisit for food and sleep, and then use as a final control.  Effectively same place for control at 0, 300 (ish) and 600.