Author Topic: Toe In The Water  (Read 2531 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Toe In The Water
« on: 26 May, 2011, 11:47:58 am »
Well, I've done (most of) a sportive in the past, and the lad is growing up, so it's time to tentatively have a go at an audax.

Well, not quite.  We're entering for the CTC South Downs Randonee, which should be fun (and I am assured that it will not involve too much up).

Slippery slope?
Getting there...

Re: Toe In The Water
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2011, 11:51:21 am »
It's supposed to be a bit arduous, a bit fun, and with a sense of achievement at the end.

I've still got spare cards for my 600 this weekend.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2011, 11:52:18 am »
Are you doing this with the lad? He will lead you astray...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2011, 11:59:35 am »

Slippery slope?

possibly :)
hopefully ;)

AndyH

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2011, 12:01:07 pm »
Well, I've done (most of) a sportive in the past, and the lad is growing up, so it's time to tentatively have a go at an audax.
:thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
Slippery slope?
Very  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2011, 12:14:53 pm »
I am hoping that the lad will wait at the top of each climb for his wheezing old dad :-[
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »
my son does :)

« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2011, 01:05:37 pm »
Slippery slope?

I could pour water down a hill if that helps.

This is a week before London to Brighton (which Mrs Dan is doing). Depending on whether Mrs Dan is having a last training ride then I might ride it myself / come and heckle you on the hills.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2011, 01:09:15 pm »
@ Clarion. You'll be doing a SR this time next year  :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2011, 01:11:10 pm »
SlowRide?
 ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2011, 01:12:51 pm »

This reminds me....I must revamp my 50km route & re-submit it for audax approval.

ETA. I had this notion for a ride to suit novices interested in audax rides:50km seems enough:it's flat-ish which can't be wrong.
I suspect Clarion & TGL might be the ideal candidates IYSWIM 8)

ETfurtherA I didn't mean " novice"  as in beginer to cycling.Heaven knows Clarion & TGL do NOT qualify in that respect.I meant "novice" to audax riding.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 26 May, 2011, 01:49:06 pm »
Butterfly too! :D
Getting there...

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2011, 10:02:16 pm »
I am hoping that the lad will wait at the top of each climb for his wheezing old dad

For a non-wheezy ride what about a flat 50k - one of the Fairies Five Flat Ones on 3rd July. It's the only one that doesn't use the Romney Marsh - a figure of eight from Bethersden and watch the parachutists at the Headcorn Aerodrome cafe control.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:57:58 pm »
Posted the entry.  Decided on the 50km this time. ;)
Getting there...

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:02:33 pm »
it's a great ride, did it in 2000 and sdaly haven't been back since (it would make a good DIY 200); has a bit of history IIRC, used to be an Audax but there was a bit of a schism and the organiser went his own way. Some lovely views (Ashdown Forest) and the Pevensey Levels before a short grunt up the South Downs near the finish.

enjoy  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 13 June, 2011, 09:59:16 am »
Well, we did it.  In most unseasonal weather.  TGL did fine. 

We set off with most of the E.Sussex in a large group (probably about 75% of the riders for the 50 ;D ), which was a bit slow.  Towards lunch, TGL, a chap on a Colnago and another on a Giant went off the front up a hill.  I prayed they would stay together, as, even though he had a map and a route sheet, I wasn't confident that TGL would be able to navigate it. 

I went off the front in a couple of places - particularly hills, as I was a bit overgeared to ride up slowly - than waited.

We saw TGL again at Heaven Farm, the control, where he was waiting outside, as he didn't have any cash for food.  Never mind, we hadn't been too far behind.

After a long queue and a nice lunch, we were just relaxing when the E.Sussex (well, most of them) decided to up & off again.  We got ourselves ready in our own time and rode to catch up. 

TGL was itching to go a bit faster, so I let him go off & solo sections, but I was still nervous about him following the route sheet (he wasn't bothering with his map), so I asked him to stop at junctions.  Well, that worked for a while, till he decided to go off ahead.

I reached a back group of the E.Sussex, and found TGL had ridden through towards the front group.  By now, we were on a pretty straight bit of the route, so I waited for Butterfly, and we rode onwards.

We left the back markers, and headed off to find the head of the group (& TGL).  We came close, but were taking it easy and stopped a couple of times, especially after a long straight, unexpectedly exposed section where we'd been buffeted.

We actually arrived back at the HQ on the tails of the group, who had been delayed by a minute or two after TGL had fallen, his front wheel having dropped off a sharp edge of tarmac.  He, and his new Campag jacket, of which he is very proud (he does look good in it) were unharmed, so we went for tea and cake.

So that's his first - 50km.  I am trying to persuade him to do the 100km next year, but getting home after took it out of hime (ride to Uckfield (very pretty, by the way, and nothing like as lumpy as I'd expected); long wait for a train; change at Oxted for another, busier, train; ride home from station).  Maybe, if we stay in Sussex another night, and just do the 100km, he'll be fine.

He says he's prepared to do 80km.  I'd compromise on that, if I have to ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 13 June, 2011, 02:22:01 pm »
Well done to all the Clarion party.

Slippery slope?

I suppose there's two ways to look at it.
1) The more Audaxing you do, the less time there'll be available to you for posting to yACF.
2) A whole new board becomes available for your posting pleasure.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2011, 02:51:08 pm »
Your have four years and two months to prepare for PBP 2015  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #18 on: 13 June, 2011, 03:07:29 pm »
\o/ for TGL.

Oh, and you and Butterfly too, of course :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 13 June, 2011, 04:28:46 pm »
\o/ for TGL.

Oh, and you and Butterfly too, of course :)

yeah, but his is the most important achievement. :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2011, 04:32:45 pm »
Your have four years and two months to prepare for PBP 2015  :)

I'll support TGL's preparation ;)

Actually, since he seemed to be the youngest there yesterday by five years, and only one person under twice his age as far as I can tell, he has plenty of time to get into it.
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2011, 04:34:20 pm »
It is addictive  ;)
I'll pencil you both in for the MK 600 then  ;D