Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65300 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Publicity
« Reply #125 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:10:38 pm »

We also chatted about how extreme 'normal' Audaxing distances seem to others, and then how Steve's effort is an order of magnitude greater than that. I mentioned that Audaxing and Steve characterise a no-nonsense stoic "just get on with it" approach and she wondered whether Steve's own modest phlegmatic attitude might make it even harder for people to appreciate just how big a challenge this really is.

I know that Steve isn’t doing this for the publicity but it will be interesting to see how media publicity for this challenge continues through the year. It’s such an enormous and lengthy challenge, I suspect it doesn’t sit easily with the media’s usual appetite for instant results and quick fix answers. When I’ve mentioned it to (non-cycling friends), they’ve generally seemed to find the scale of the challenge difficult to comprehend.  Besides being generally awe-struck and comparing it to how far they think they could drive in a year, I guess it’s pretty hard for most people to understand quite how difficult it is to cycle these distance on a daily basis – it just doesn’t sit easily with  a one off 30 mile ride or almost any other kind of physical/mental challenge they’ve come across. Conversely, I think Steve’s challenge is interesting to Audaxers, and anyone who’s cycled 200 miles in a day, precisely because they do have some idea of how difficult it is to ride these distances, even for one day.

Good analysis.

Weird quoting there.
It is simpler than it looks.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #126 on: 31 January, 2015, 11:56:40 am »
There's a piece on Steve in the latest issue of Cycling Plus

hillbilly

« Reply #127 on: 31 January, 2015, 04:38:28 pm »
And a tweet.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #128 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:55:01 am »
Sorry if this has been covered before but I have contacted the local rag and they are asking questions about what Steve is doing.

I don't want to contradict what has already been said so wondered if there is a resource that has already covered off what I guess are routine questions. Such as:

•   Why has Steven decided to take on the challenge?
•   Is he raising money for a charity?
•   How long has he been cycling for?
•   What does his family feel about this?

Cheers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #129 on: 04 February, 2015, 11:17:08 am »
It might be worthwhile contacting one of the PR folk on his team, such as ElliptEGO OTP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #130 on: 04 February, 2015, 11:19:30 am »
It might be worthwhile contacting one of the PR folk on his team, such as ElliptEGO OTP.

Cheers Dave.

H

« Reply #131 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:32:08 pm »
I'm doing a bit of part-time work for a local firewood supplier, and today we had a tall, thin, bloke with a beard in a flash Merc van, wanting 20 bags of hardwood. I recognised him as a local cyclist, and told him about Steve's ride. I also asked the usual questions. Was he getting out much in this cold weather? 'Not before 11, because of the ice', was the reply. What plans did he have for the coming season? 'The opposite of your mate; the Hour Record'.

Sir Bradley seemed impressed that Steve was attempting such a feat in this country. When I told him about the 205 miles a day, it didn't seem to compute, as he wondered if that was the weekly figure.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #132 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:42:14 pm »
I'm doing a bit of part-time work for a local firewood supplier, and today we had a tall, thin, bloke with a beard in a flash Merc van, wanting 20 bags of hardwood. I recognised him as a local cyclist, and told him about Steve's ride. I also asked the usual questions. Was he getting out much in this cold weather? 'Not before 11, because of the ice', was the reply. What plans did he have for the coming season? 'The opposite of your mate; the Hour Record'.

Sir Bradley seemed impressed that Steve was attempting such a feat in this country. When I told him about the 205 miles a day, it didn't seem to compute, as he wondered if that was the weekly figure.
Lovely :)

(and as you tend to a lot more name-dropping than fibbing,  I'm inclined to believe it  :-* )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #133 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:55:24 pm »
Sir Bradley seemed impressed that Steve was attempting such a feat in this country.

"What, he's going out in the rain too?"
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #134 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:05:49 pm »
The weather is superb around here at the moment, cold but very dry, still, and sunshine all day. It would have been a nice day for a ride between 11 and 3.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #135 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:08:32 pm »
The weather is superb around here at the moment, cold but very dry, still, and sunshine all day. It would have been a nice day for a ride between 11 and 3.
Not a bad way to earn a living. <sigh>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #136 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:22:26 pm »

« Reply #137 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:48:34 pm »

Thought you were talking about salar55 to begin with !

« Reply #138 on: 05 February, 2015, 06:55:30 am »
Similar van to Ronnie's, but the top-of-the range model. The idea of Brad and Cath as a tandem couple comes to mind. The language would be interesting.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #139 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:12:09 pm »
And there's an article on the Guardian website: One man, one bike and a 75-year-old record he’s determined to beat
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #140 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:35:33 pm »
And there's an article on the Guardian website: One man, one bike and a 75-year-old record he’s determined to beat

They got the caption wrong on the pic in the RHP.
Abraham tucks into a steak and kidney pie, chips and peas at a pub in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.  should read
Abraham tucks into two steak and kidney pies, chips and peas at a pub in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire as any fule kan C

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #141 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:41:47 pm »
They've also linked Steve's story to Tommy Godwin's obituary, unfortunately the wrong Tommy Godwin. Perhaps somebody should let them know.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #142 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:45:50 pm »
At least it wasn't the Irish goalkeeper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Godwin_(footballer)

« Reply #143 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:47:27 pm »

Brilliant  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #144 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:48:37 pm »
They got the caption wrong on the pic in the RHP.

And the headline - it's three bikes, not one.

Nitpicking aside, it's a great piece. Love the final payoff line.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #145 on: 06 February, 2015, 12:57:02 pm »
great article.
don't read the comments
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #146 on: 06 February, 2015, 01:47:15 pm »
No, do read the comments.  Then seek out that Jayen clown and ["Medieval punishment recommendation removed on legal advice" - Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #147 on: 06 February, 2015, 02:23:24 pm »
They've also linked Steve's story to Tommy Godwin's obituary, unfortunately the wrong Tommy Godwin. Perhaps somebody should let them know.

And got the mileage wrong by a thousand miles!

red marley

« Reply #148 on: 06 February, 2015, 02:25:43 pm »

They have been informed and the obit has now been removed.

« Reply #149 on: 06 February, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »
I love the fact they mentioned the tooth extraction incident. I always preferred the story about the abscess and the incident with a sink, but the Guardian is a family newspaper