Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65293 times)

Re: Publicity
« Reply #75 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:03:02 pm »
How Tommy kept his stamina/body mass up with a diet consisting primarily of milk and bread, lord knows.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #76 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:36:42 pm »
How Tommy kept his stamina/body mass up with a diet consisting primarily of milk and bread, lord knows.

I expect he was on the gold-top.

« Reply #77 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:57:14 pm »
Sports Personality of the Year?!

I'll eat my hat. That'so not how SPOTY works. Sadly.

I left the typo in deliberately.

SPOTY do have an unsung hero award do they not?  Maybe Steve needs Wiggo to put a word in...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #78 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:43:33 pm »
Sports Personality of the Year?!

I'll eat my hat. That'so not how SPOTY works. Sadly.

I left the typo in deliberately.

SPOTY do have an unsung hero award do they not?  Maybe Steve needs Wiggo to put a word in...

With a touch of careful routing, Steve could make a scheduled appearance and then nip off to continue his 200+ for the day??
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #79 on: 26 January, 2015, 12:33:24 am »
I'm not surprised he's losing weight, but what of the future? He's obviously been assisted by the spare tyre he was carrying to begin with [I'm sure that was the idea], but he obviously can't sustain a continued weight loss like that without his performance being seriously affected. He's obviously well aware of all this, but what's his thinking here in terms of how he expects it all to pan out?

Last year on my 6-month world deckchair cruise I lost 7kg in the first 7 weeks and began to have similar concerns...then it stabilised at around 72kg. It didn't take long to come back on either once I'd finished!

« Reply #80 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:04:17 pm »
I had a chat with Chris Hopkinson at the Raven Cafe on the Mere 200. That's where the Mersey Roads 24 is based during the event, so thoughts turned to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQHFmwZP9bQ

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #81 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:11:07 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #82 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:57:43 pm »
I have approached the local rag about publicising Steve coming down to Pompey in March. They can be a bit picky on stories they support but if you don't ask, you don't get.

H

« Reply #83 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:59:23 pm »
Local rags are usually desperate for stories. I should know; they've even featured me in them on occasions!  ;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #84 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:07:14 pm »
Best approach to getting stuff in local papers is to write the story for them - ie submit it in the form of a "press release", then they can regurgitate it without doing any actual work. Or any actual journalism.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #85 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:08:49 pm »
When Mrs. Wow and I completed our end-to-end I sent them something on our trip and the fact that we were supporting the National Kidney Foundation. They published everything word-for-word, including out photo at Dunnet Head, and the correctly-used apostrophe. It was this last that caused Kathy Pike, OTP, to suspect that the piece was not written by the Echo's usual band of illiterate oiks.

You might like to write something yourself, Hummers, or maybe even get Mrs. Miles to write it for you.  :D

Edit: cross-post with Citoyen.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #86 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:12:45 pm »
Best approach to getting stuff in local papers is to write the story for them - ie submit it in the form of a "press release", then they can regurgitate it without doing any actual work. Or any actual journalism.

If doing that, it's probably useful to have an irrelevant(ish) and uninteresting(ish) paragraph or two at the end, which they can cut without affecting your story in the slightest, yet still enabling them to feel they have not simply printed your press release unedited.

(Cynicism aside, writing so it can be cropped from the end is a useful discipline. Even if it's not cut before printing, it'll be cut mentally by all the readers who get no further than the first two lines.)

« Reply #87 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:19:23 pm »
When Mrs. Wow and I completed our end-to-end...

Now there's a euphamism!  :o
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #88 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:21:14 pm »
When Mrs. Wow and I completed our end-to-end...

Now there's a euphamism!  :o

O:-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #89 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:10:40 am »

If doing that, it's probably useful to have an irrelevant(ish) and uninteresting(ish) paragraph or two at the end, which they can cut without affecting your story in the slightest, yet still enabling them to feel they have not simply printed your press release unedited.

(Cynicism aside, writing so it can be cropped from the end is a useful discipline. Even if it's not cut before printing, it'll be cut mentally by all the readers who get no further than the first two lines.)

Erm, that's how a press release should be written  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #90 on: 27 January, 2015, 03:26:55 am »
And a news story ...

« Reply #91 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:48:44 am »

« Reply #92 on: 27 January, 2015, 07:37:47 am »
I have approached the local rag about publicising Steve coming down to Pompey in March. They can be a bit picky on stories they support but if you don't ask, you don't get.

H

H - You may remember I did a charity ride last year which was based on the Tommy G challenge . The deputy sports editor of The News was on it and I reckon he'd definitely be receptive to an article. If you get a lukewarm reception from elsewhere at the paper we can contact him. Let me know.

James

« Reply #93 on: 27 January, 2015, 10:25:18 am »

Writing one irrelevant and unistering paragraph is a usual tactic to keep the editor happy and feeling that he's doing a great job ;).

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #94 on: 27 January, 2015, 10:51:53 am »

H

H - You may remember I did a charity ride last year which was based on the Tommy G challenge . The deputy sports editor of The News was on it and I reckon he'd definitely be receptive to an article. If you get a lukewarm reception from elsewhere at the paper we can contact him. Let me know.

James

Cheers James.

H

« Reply #95 on: 27 January, 2015, 11:18:48 am »
I wonder whether I should send this link to Zoe Williams to help with her research before interviewing Steve on Friday.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52836.0

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #96 on: 27 January, 2015, 11:23:21 am »
I wonder whether I should send this link to Zoe Williams to help with her research before interviewing Steve on Friday.
Reads first paragraph and wonders if this is another Agent Picolax story
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #97 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:46:23 pm »
Reads first paragraph and wonders if this is another Agent Picolax story

It's far, far worse.

red marley

« Reply #98 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:50:12 pm »
I'll be talking with Zoe Williams tonight in preparation for her interview with Steve. Apart from bum boils, anything I should be mentioning to her?

« Reply #99 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:00:43 pm »
The self-administered dentistry with a screwdriver? To convey his determination/self-reliance.