Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65356 times)

Re: Publicity
« Reply #175 on: 09 February, 2015, 07:53:06 pm »
I was wondering when this was due to be broadcast after listening today to last week's very interesting Julian Sayarer one during a very pleasant calm, bright commute home along Welsh lanes. I'll try and hold out to when the podcast appears.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #176 on: 10 February, 2015, 11:29:47 pm »
A wee teaser preview of the next issue of BikesEtc, on sale next week...

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #177 on: 10 February, 2015, 11:33:12 pm »
That's fantastic. I love the sausage graphic.

I assume the Marathon Man reference isn't accidental?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kzw1_2b-I7A

(Best not to watch if you don't like dentists)

« Reply #178 on: 10 February, 2015, 11:33:12 pm »
 ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #179 on: 10 February, 2015, 11:36:52 pm »
Deano, I have to confess that the Marathon Man reference is entirely coincidental, but I know exactly what you're referring to without clicking the link.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #180 on: 10 February, 2015, 11:46:10 pm »
Happy coincidence, then :) I'll look out for the mag.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #181 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:02:33 am »
Is it safe?

Not according to the Guinness Book of Records.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #182 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:04:43 am »
Wow, even Wow got that reference ;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #183 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:10:53 am »
And without clicking the link. I've seen the film, but not for many years. Whilst trying to explain the reference to Dez, I have to confess to getting my old Nazi films confused. I was thinking also of the Odessa File, with David McCallum.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #184 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:45:52 am »
As opposed to the more commonly-shown version of "The Odessa File" starring Jens Voigt Jon Voight.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #185 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:34:09 am »
Steve will be on The Bike Show today at 4.30pm on Resonance FM. That's 104.4fm on your FM radio in central London, or via the internet stream or the Radio Player app.

http://resonancefm.com/listen

It's quite an in depth interview, recorded on the eve of his attempt.

However, the podcast version will have 20 minutes or so more stuff than could fit into the half hour broadcast slot (including Dave Barter on the history of the year record), so you could wait for that to appear, midweek sometime.

The podcast is now available, and I'd highly recommend it. Good work Jack.

« Reply #187 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:46:46 am »

« Reply #188 on: 11 February, 2015, 09:34:53 am »
Just listened to the podcast, very balanced interview IMO and Steve came across very well.   Well worth spending an hour listening to it and thanks to "Menthel" and others for posting the links.

When is "The Bike Show" normally broadcast for the benefit of we who do not live in the metropolis?

« Reply #189 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:56:28 pm »
Just listened to the podcast, very balanced interview IMO and Steve came across very well.   Well worth spending an hour listening to it and thanks to "Menthel" and others for posting the links.

When is "The Bike Show" normally broadcast for the benefit of we who do not live in the metropolis?

+1 thought podcast was fab. Steve sounded more relaxed that on other interviews. I do hope they do another show later in the year :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #190 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:04:53 pm »
If there is another interview before the ride finishes, there won't be anything like an hour's worth of material, unless he is interviewed over several days. When awake riding time is of utmost importance and when off the bike it is either eating or sleeping.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #191 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:10:30 pm »
I didn't mean another hour with Steve. I appreciate time off the bike will be very precious. I thought the interview with the guy writing the book was interesting too. I was more thinking about seeing it as another forum to discuss Steve and Kurt's different strategies etc.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #192 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:20:01 pm »
Yes, that's going to be fascinating!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #193 on: 11 February, 2015, 10:58:14 pm »
If there is another interview before the ride finishes, there won't be anything like an hour's worth of material, unless he is interviewed over several days. When awake riding time is of utmost importance and when off the bike it is either eating or sleeping.

Steve and I discussed this and since I've done a lot of 'rolling interviews' over the past decade for The Bike Show ( http://thebikeshow.net/rolling_interviews/ ), we didn't rule out the possibility. Steve said he was planning to be riding at a pace that allowed him to converse verbally, whether he'll want to when it comes to it, we'll see. Probably more likely earlier in the day. So it's a possibility, at the very least. On the other hand I don't think there'll be a need for such an extended interview next time, it'd be more to capture the flavour of the ride, to put the listener there with Steve, to find out how he's feeling.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed this week's show. Now, I just have to figure out a way to get myself to Florida to check out the competition!

« Reply #194 on: 11 February, 2015, 11:16:51 pm »
Glad to hear you've enjoyed this week's show.

Yes, I enjoyed it too.

What leap from the page for me was Steve's sense of forever needing the next challenge. Never content to sit on his distance laurels like some of us [points finger at self!] events and achievements are very soon history for him. What lies ahead is the next stage - as he describes it himself. And so very clearly for Steve, this is the next stage in his long distance career, it's not some quick cobbled-together scheme on the back of a fag packet kind of activity, it's all part of a very steady progression that began years and years ago.....ever since he was a kid by the sounds of it.
Many of us pointed our bikes at the beginning of the long distance path, many of us have ridden it, and nearly all of us, sooner or later, get to a point were we're content to go no further. The loops stop presenting themselves as appealing challenges to leap through. It's an individual thing. Genes, propensities, disposition, interest, call it what you will. Steve is a long, long way from that point yet.

Fascinating stuff.
Garry Broad

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #195 on: 12 February, 2015, 12:13:14 am »
Steve on The Bike Show here:

http://thebikeshow.net/a-year-on-two-wheels/

Brilliant report on the whole picture. Well-balanced and full of respect for the cycling community. Steve's love of Audax and his gratefulness of the support of the Audax family is clear. We owe it to him to ensure he succeeds. It is a true privilege to know Steve and to have ridden with him in the past and to have helped him achieve the cycling that is enabling him to be where he is now.

This is a big story that will soon hit the imagination of an unbelieving public.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #196 on: 12 February, 2015, 07:31:18 am »

This is a big story that will soon hit the imagination of an unbelieving public.

I think you are correct. The level of interest amongst the cycling community is still increasing. Blogs form around the world copied and linked to from here are testament to a growing worldwide interest. I believe there will be a tipping point when the wider public (hopefully on both sides of the pond) will buy into what potentially is a modern day epic contest between the two protagonists. I keep thinking of Scott / Admunson.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #197 on: 12 February, 2015, 08:26:26 am »
+1

There has been a sure but steady stream of either people talking on the train "Have you heard about that bloke trying to break the world cycling record...." and people who know me remarking that they have seen the articles in the press.

It will take off, I am sure.

H

« Reply #198 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:00:33 am »

Posted by: Climberruss Today at 07:31:18 AM »

I think you are correct. The level of interest amongst the cycling community is still increasing. Blogs form around the world copied and linked to from here are testament to a growing worldwide interest. I believe there will be a tipping point when the wider public (hopefully on both sides of the pond) will buy into what potentially is a modern day epic contest between the two protagonists. I keep thinking of Scott / Admunson.

Rainmaker Re: Into the unknown  Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »

Notwithstanding the result, what about Scott -v- Amundsen "race" to the South Pole?

I'm pleased someone else has made the comparison, Steve epitomises the qualities of rugged determination to overcome all adversities that made Scott a hero to the British public even though he failed in his attempt to be the first to the south pole.    Perhaps "Tarsan's" alleged possible use of recumbents could be compared with Amundson's use of dogs?

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #199 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:28:22 am »
Steve on The Bike Show here:

http://thebikeshow.net/a-year-on-two-wheels/

Lovely listen, thanks. In fact I had two episodes to catch up on and it made my train journey into work a lot easier (one day a week that I don't cycle so I like to have something good to listen to!).

Steve sounded very happy with his plan and it was nice to hear about it in his own words- having never met the man its nice to put a voice and personality to the face and the feat!

Was also good to hear Daave's perspective as well, I am co-incidentally reading his book at the moment. My wife bought it for me for Christmas, I think she thinks I have a cycling problem...

Go Steve! ;)