Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65585 times)

offcumden

• Oh, no!
Re: Publicity
« Reply #200 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:29:59 am »
Perhaps "Tarsan's" alleged possible use of recumbents could be compared with Amundson's use of dogs?

I thought it was not simply 'alleged' and 'possible'. Haven't I seen video clips of him on a 2-wheeled recumbent - presumably filmed during the attempt?

The two protagonists may be following the same rule book but in terms of weather, terrain and equipment they might as well be on different planets . . . or continents.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #201 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:16:24 am »
Steve gets a post on Tejvan Pettinger's blog, 'Cycling Uphill'.
Tejvan is a previous national hillclimb champion, so more used to short distances than the stuff Steve's doing!

« Reply #202 on: 12 February, 2015, 12:47:06 pm »
I listened to the podcast on my (very slow) run home - perfect inspiration for not stopping!

Just one question though - there seemed to be some question towars the end of the podcast as to whether Steve's year of cycling and the the record attempt could be considered, or treated, as "cycle sport".  To be honest , I'm not quite sure what "cycle sport" means but I would have thought a challenge such as this is exactly what the sport of cycling is about - a racing challenge, epic by any endurance standards, motivated by a love of cycling and the cycling legends of the past.  Or am I missing something?

D
allez pas facile sur le sudo

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #203 on: 12 February, 2015, 01:26:39 pm »
AIUI Jack was asking the question in the context of how the record attempt is covered by the media, viz. would the cycling press (specifically the likes of Cycle Sport, Procycling, Cycling Weekly) cover it in the same way they cover more traditional kinds of racing. In which case the answer is clearly no, it isn't "sport" in that sense.

Note also that the Guardian piece appeared in its "lifestyle" section rather than its sport section.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #204 on: 12 February, 2015, 01:54:17 pm »
Just one question though - there seemed to be some question towars the end of the podcast as to whether Steve's year of cycling and the the record attempt could be considered, or treated, as "cycle sport".  To be honest , I'm not quite sure what "cycle sport" means but I would have thought a challenge such as this is exactly what the sport of cycling is about - a racing challenge, epic by any endurance standards, motivated by a love of cycling and the cycling legends of the past.  Or am I missing something?

Jack caught me out with that question. I had not really given it much thought and I hope my answer on the podcast came across as me not thinking it was "sport". I was trying to say that I didn't care if the sporting world besmirched it as the attempt  captures the imagination of sporting and non-sporting cyclists alike. However, there is no doubt that Abraham vs Searvogel vs Godwin is sport ;-)

Dave

« Reply #205 on: 12 February, 2015, 02:00:10 pm »
Many thanks for clarifying.  It's interesting how the media handles subjects which don't fall into mainstream, usually professional, sports.  Sometimes I find themost interesting sporting stories are in the lifestyle sections.
allez pas facile sur le sudo

« Reply #206 on: 12 February, 2015, 02:00:45 pm »
AIUI Jack was asking the question in the context of how the record attempt is covered by the media, viz. would the cycling press (specifically the likes of Cycle Sport, Procycling, Cycling Weekly) cover it in the same way they cover more traditional kinds of racing. In which case the answer is clearly no, it isn't "sport" in that sense.

That's right. We can definitely expect some in brief coverage in Cycling Weekly and the like - to be honest they have a job to do filling the space each week - but FWIW I have pitched the idea of a longer feature looking at the titanic tussle between Steve and Kurt, and the whole subject of ultra endurance competitions, to the two leading 'long form' cycle sport publications in the UK (I won't name them but you can guess). Editors of both gave the same reply: it's an interesting story but not 'pro' enough for them. I do see their point, but actually I think this is a much bigger canvas for a story than sport - it's about human endeavour, extraordinary motivation, a truly epic trial against adversity, but also something very amateur, bizarre and niche, which kind of amplifies it all, in my mind at least. The year record is a whole lot weirder than riding the Tour de France, climbing Everest or getting to the South Pole. And that just makes it all the more interesting.

« Reply #207 on: 12 February, 2015, 02:39:35 pm »
Look at what the dictionary says.

sport
/spɔːt/
noun
1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Bang on.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #208 on: 12 February, 2015, 08:18:25 pm »

That's right. We can definitely expect some in brief coverage in Cycling Weekly and the like - to be honest they have a job to do filling the space each week - but FWIW I have pitched the idea of a longer feature looking at the titanic tussle between Steve and Kurt, and the whole subject of ultra endurance competitions, to the two leading 'long form' cycle sport publications in the UK (I won't name them but you can guess). Editors of both gave the same reply: it's an interesting story but not 'pro' enough for them. I do see their point, but actually I think this is a much bigger canvas for a story than sport - it's about human endeavour, extraordinary motivation, a truly epic trial against adversity, but also something very amateur, bizarre and niche, which kind of amplifies it all, in my mind at least. The year record is a whole lot weirder than riding the Tour de France, climbing Everest or getting to the South Pole. And that just makes it all the more interesting.

And sausages.

Don't forget the sausages.

H

« Reply #209 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:07:11 pm »

And sausages.

H

Good point. Maybe I should be pitching this to food magazines instead. Sausage Weekly?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #210 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:44:27 pm »

And sausages.

H

Good point. Maybe I should be pitching this to food magazines instead. Sausage Weekly?

The Sausage Digest  :smug:

H

« Reply #211 on: 12 February, 2015, 09:50:28 pm »
The biggest circulation magazines are the supermarket freebies. Steve's palate is bound to become bit jaded. How many calories a day is he consuming? Is Tarzan still 'Lovin It?'
A 'Food on the Move' article would be quite good. I've always favoured Morrisons as the best supermarket cafe.

« Reply #212 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:00:58 pm »
Given all the sausage talk, it's worth remembering that Tommy Godwin was a lifelong vegetarian - apparently he gave up eating meat after a stint working in a pie factory. I'm guessing Steve has never worked in a sausage factory.

« Reply #213 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:34:53 pm »
Given all the sausage talk, it's worth remembering that Tommy Godwin was a lifelong vegetarian - apparently he gave up eating meat after a stint working in a pie factory. I'm guessing Steve has never worked in a sausage factory.

Quite how you can be a lifelong vegetarian and have given up meat is beyond me.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #214 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:36:16 pm »
Born-again vegetarian?

« Reply #215 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:44:25 pm »
Re podcast. Cant find a CWGC record for a Bernard Bennett casualty that fits Bernard's birth year of 1918. There are only a handful for WW2 in any event.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #216 on: 12 February, 2015, 11:02:41 pm »
The biggest circulation magazines are the supermarket freebies. Steve's palate is bound to become bit jaded. How many calories a day is he consuming? Is Tarzan still 'Lovin It?'
A 'Food on the Move' article would be quite good. I've always favoured Morrisons as the best supermarket cafe.

He didn't eat him when he stayed with him, did he?  :o
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #217 on: 13 February, 2015, 06:56:43 am »
I'd have thought that the regional TV programmes might be interested in Steve. It was a BBC Midlands programme that brought the two Tommys to the public attention again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88uK8E9yyec

« Reply #218 on: 13 February, 2015, 07:43:24 am »
Given all the sausage talk, it's worth remembering that Tommy Godwin was a lifelong vegetarian
And Walter Greaves was vegetarian from the age of 20, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

« Reply #219 on: 13 February, 2015, 08:06:16 am »
I'd have thought that the regional TV programmes might be interested in Steve. It was a BBC Midlands programme that brought the two Tommys to the public attention again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88uK8E9yyec

It might be worth contacting the makers of this film with a view to a follow up. I think there is a good story in what Steve is doing. The notion of a transatlantic "competition" adds massively to its potential mass market appeal.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #220 on: 13 February, 2015, 12:03:00 pm »
Just listened to the podcast - excellent stuff.

A footnote to the story of hallucinations during the wet cold night on the A19 on the 1993 LEL - Steve (or 'that curly-haired youngster on the Moulton', as he was known then) says he saw people (some naked) at the side of the road cheering him on.

My memory of that stretch of road (apart from the cold and the wet) is riding with Ann and Bernard Dawes somewhere just south of Thirsk, and seeing two red lights in the murkiness ahead. One was steady, but the other was moving up and down in a gentle rhythm, as if the rider were playing with a fancy LED-equipped yo-yo. I gradually became mesmerised by these lights. Bernard soon identified the rider, but only when we got much closer did I realise that Steve had an LED attached to the back of his shoe.

Fast forward 20 years to LEL 2013, it's not long after daybreak, and I'm dragging myself along the B7076 between Gretna and Lockerbie with Frenchman Bruno. Steve comes flying past on his orange Moulton, fumbles in the pocket of his baggy shorts and, pausing only look over his shoulder with a huge grin, demonstrates his yo-yoing skills as he disappears into the distance. Cue laughter and bemused Bruno.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #221 on: 13 February, 2015, 01:20:26 pm »
Just listened to the podcast - excellent stuff.

A footnote to the story of hallucinations during the wet cold night on the A19 on the 1993 LEL - Steve (or 'that curly-haired youngster on the Moulton', as he was known then) says he saw people (some naked) at the side of the road cheering him on.

My memory of that stretch of road (apart from the cold and the wet) is riding with Ann and Bernard Dawes somewhere just south of Thirsk, and seeing two red lights in the murkiness ahead. One was steady, but the other was moving up and down in a gentle rhythm, as if the rider were playing with a fancy LED-equipped yo-yo. I gradually became mesmerised by these lights. Bernard soon identified the rider, but only when we got much closer did I realise that Steve had an LED attached to the back of his shoe.

Fast forward 20 years to LEL 2013, it's not long after daybreak, and I'm dragging myself along the B7076 between Gretna and Lockerbie with Frenchman Bruno. Steve comes flying past on his orange Moulton, fumbles in the pocket of his baggy shorts and, pausing only look over his shoulder with a huge grin, demonstrates his yo-yoing skills as he disappears into the distance. Cue laughter and bemused Bruno.

Another example of his remarkable preparedness and attention to detail.  And sense of humour.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #222 on: 13 February, 2015, 02:21:09 pm »
I finally listened to the bike show podcast whilst traveling home from the US yesterday.

What a fantastic program!  :thumbsup:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #223 on: 16 February, 2015, 10:13:43 am »
I wonder if Premier Inn, has been approached for sponsorship of Steve -  all you can eat breakfasts etc?  That would be pretty good...  :)

Steve's Feb 14 post.  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=88252.msg1813419#msg1813419
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #224 on: 18 February, 2015, 06:38:49 pm »
Just a thought.

Later on when the media start to take a serious interest in Steve's ride they will probably film him riding. By then it will hopefully be lovely summer days and give no indication of the conditions that Steve faced in these early months.

Would it be an idea for someone to film a typical current day - up in the dark, riding into the sunset and then more hours in the dark - to be  given to the media production so that it represents the true magnitude of the ride.