Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65622 times)

Re: Publicity
« Reply #250 on: 06 March, 2015, 02:46:00 pm »
  Raleigh's PR agency should be delighted to have an opportunity like this to work on for example. 

And yet there's no mention of him on Raleigh's news page of their website. I don't follow Facebook or Twitter so can't comment if Raleigh's PR people are commenting there but I would have thought some comment on the website would be worthwhile.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #251 on: 06 March, 2015, 02:51:47 pm »
  Raleigh's PR agency should be delighted to have an opportunity like this to work on for example. 

And yet there's no mention of him on Raleigh's news page of their website. I don't follow Facebook or Twitter so can't comment if Raleigh's PR people are commenting there but I would have thought some comment on the website would be worthwhile.

Maybe they're waiting to see how their bikes hold up, or how Steve holds up for that matter.
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #252 on: 06 March, 2015, 03:15:23 pm »
Yes, it is more of a story when the record is broken.
It is simpler than it looks.

red marley

« Reply #253 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:58:51 pm »
I gave a public lecture yesterday (@ City Unrulyversity) on Telling Stories with Data Visualization. Much of it was based on Steve, Kurt and the history of the OYTT.

« Reply #254 on: 13 March, 2015, 12:45:51 am »
Unless I'm missing something, with only 72 days gone (just less than a fifth) and a lot lot more to go, publicity is not an urgency to a rider who's main need is to be allowed to quietly get on with the simple schedule of riding each day.

If there is any urgent need (funds, practical support, etc) that would best be done through already obviously involved and likely supportive communities such as this. Otherwise the likelyhood is a pressure for daily distractions to anything other than distance.

Publicity is best left till towards the end when the target is done/near done.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #255 on: 15 March, 2015, 10:46:16 am »
In your opinion...

I have contacted three local schools and the local press about Steve's imminent visit to Pompey.

None of the schools will actually see him but the inspiration came from Crinklylions work with school children in her neck of the woods.

H

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #256 on: 15 March, 2015, 10:54:20 am »
Well, the story I gave the local media was designed to raise awareness and also to prepare them for when he returns later in the year. At which point he will be very close to the old record. I'm thinking maybe a heat map of his rides, a quick interview and maybe some people cheering when he arrives.

The journalist wanted to know how he was getting on when I saw her this week. I'm pretty sure Steve is going to get good coverage when he comes back, which is what one of the aims was.

There isn't anyone I've spoken to in the town that has said negative things about this challenge.

Hummers is on target with what he is doing, I think.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #257 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:01:00 am »
That was mostly about having a good story to 'hang' a lesson on, rather than gaining publicity for Steve though!

My particular thought was that we could only do something that made no requirements whatsoever of Steve or his team.  So I'd actually had the cards for a couple of weeks, and was watching the hosts calendar to see who he was going to be staying with that I could send them to where it wouldn't be an unreasonable expectation to open an envelope and stick them on the table so Steve could look at them if he had time while drinking a cuppa/eating his tea.  Then it turned out that the CrinklyTable would do the job nicely :)

The kids were fascinated by the story - particularly when they realised that I'd actually met and gone for a bike ride with Steve.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #258 on: 15 March, 2015, 12:22:49 pm »
That was mostly about having a good story to 'hang' a lesson on, rather than gaining publicity for Steve though!

My particular thought was that we could only do something that made no requirements whatsoever of Steve or his team.  So I'd actually had the cards for a couple of weeks, and was watching the hosts calendar to see who he was going to be staying with that I could send them to where it wouldn't be an unreasonable expectation to open an envelope and stick them on the table so Steve could look at them if he had time while drinking a cuppa/eating his tea.  Then it turned out that the CrinklyTable would do the job nicely :)

The kids were fascinated by the story - particularly when they realised that I'd actually met and gone for a bike ride with Steve.

I am reminded of a 15 year old lad when he heard about Tommy Godwin's record:

"It captivated and almost scared me when I first heard about the record as a 15-year old," says Abraham, as he answers my questions between stolen mouthfuls of dinner after a typically long day spent in the saddle. "I didn't know who Tommy Godwin was, or who had done this incredible world record ride at the time, but I became fascinated by it and started to wonder if I could do it myself one day."

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #259 on: 15 March, 2015, 02:50:24 pm »
I went to a Green Party fund-raising curry last night and the host and a mate of his, both cyclists, were aware of Steve and his exploits, and were mightily impressed that I had met and ridden with him.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #260 on: 15 March, 2015, 05:24:40 pm »
A cycling patient of mine last week had heard of Steve, and was most impressed that I'd met him.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #261 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:52:22 pm »
I don't know him well enough to refer to him (to my interested workplace colleagues) as a 'friend', so he's just 'a cycling acquaintance I once slept with in a Travelodge', and that seems enough to impress them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #262 on: 15 March, 2015, 08:20:19 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #263 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:18:01 pm »
Publicity is best left till towards the end when the target is done/near done.

I think Steve should be getting all the publicity he can for this spectacular ride, after all without others to shout his praises who will. And stuff like this is so fleeting today............... anyone remember a certain Ben Rockett and his amazing feat of endurance recently?

« Reply #264 on: 17 March, 2015, 06:28:04 am »
Any idea what the result of the Brooks' photo-shoot was?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #265 on: 17 March, 2015, 07:42:43 am »
Re: Generating interest in Marsh Gibbon
I was perusing FB this am and there are quite a few pages dedicated to groups in MG (School, Church etc).
We could bombard send them with info about Steve in order to generate organic interest i.e. post links to Steve's page / Strava / YACF etc

« Reply #266 on: 17 March, 2015, 09:32:28 am »
Steve should forget his sausages one day ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-31906447

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #267 on: 17 March, 2015, 09:57:18 am »
He should have gone to Carradice.

"For he on honeydew hath fed
And drunk the milk of Carradice".

Doesn't work, really, does it?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #268 on: 17 March, 2015, 10:17:36 am »

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #269 on: 18 March, 2015, 12:32:34 pm »
Steves Team should sign Teethgrinder up for this, I mean we can't have an American on top of that table can we, and Steve should end up with some nice merino kit for his epic miles  :P how many of those sub prizes could he win?

http://www.velobici.cc/classics-challenge-2015-62-w.asp

The Strava admin just need to register then add Steve to the Velobici group on Strava

current full leader board is here:

http://veloviewer.com/challenges/vbscc2015

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #270 on: 18 March, 2015, 08:23:16 pm »
Of course, he won't be able to wear them until 2016 but he should rack up the necessary distance in a week.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #271 on: 27 March, 2015, 04:27:06 pm »
Got Cycling World through the door this morning.  There's a familiar figure in read interviewed. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #272 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:50:58 pm »
The bells, the bells...........
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #273 on: 27 March, 2015, 11:06:09 pm »
....they made me deaf.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #274 on: 29 March, 2015, 06:02:53 pm »
Daily Mirror.

Unfortunately for some reason they've misplaced it in the 'weird news' section.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur