Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65741 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Publicity
« Reply #300 on: 21 May, 2015, 11:15:28 pm »
Very easy to see the MK News won't win awards for the quality of its journalism; "he succumbed to the nearest hospital" and other examples of poor use of English.
Mind you, to be fair, there are thousands of examples every day just as bad so MK News is not on it's Todd!

Quite, not least those who do not know the difference between it's and its.

http://www.its-not-its.info/

Or those who do not know how to spell tod when using the colloquial meaning.

How about the difference between a social media post, and a professional piece of journalism? Hmm?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #301 on: 30 June, 2015, 07:35:10 pm »
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.
http://www.bicycling.com/culture/people/these-two-cyclists-will-ride-150000-miles-year

A few inaccuracies but some interesting insights: although it was speculated I'm not sure Kurt has previously confirmed that he was keeping a beady eye on Steve's mileage and doing a bit more.

red marley

« Reply #302 on: 11 August, 2015, 02:16:12 pm »
From Steve's Facebook page:

We need YOUR help...

Many of us have filmed Steve at various events - or just on the road - during his various rides this year. Due to popular demand, we have decided we will begin to collect and collate various video clips and interviews taken of Steve during his One Year Time Trial, so that they can potentially be used in a documentary film about this incredible challenge.

Details will be given shortly of what we are doing with the film, as we do not yet have a film maker officially commissioned to work on this project. However, if you know someone who might be interested in the making of such a film (and can demonstrate the capability to work commercially on a project like this) please ask them to contact Idai on media@oneyeartimetrial.org.uk with more details.

In the meantime, please feel free to film or interview Steve if you should happen meet him on the road - or at an event. As always, we ask that his timings and schedules be respected first and foremost (and if he's in a rush he should not be held up for interviews and video clips). But if you can catch him at an opportune time for a quick chat on camera we would love you to do so. If you do so, please feel free to ask him any questions you like (within the bounds of decency) when you interview him - and make sure the picture and sound quality is decent. Then get the footage across to us!

More information to follow shortly....

« Reply #303 on: 11 August, 2015, 09:38:35 pm »
Eh? WhyTF have they only posted this on Facebook? Not even an email to the OYTT email list. It goes without saying that it's not even on the OYTT web site.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #304 on: 11 August, 2015, 10:16:22 pm »
Number of communiqués received from mailing list since January 1st: 1 ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #305 on: 11 August, 2015, 11:25:50 pm »
Great idea - but many, many of us have given Steve's campaign all sorts of ways to contact us through contributing, yet the first place I see this is thanks to Jo's link from Facebook? I'm sorry, but this really isn't demonstrative of a well-run PR campaign.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #306 on: 11 August, 2015, 11:45:03 pm »
The bit in the new Arrivée was lifted from the previous announcement on Facebook. I felt it was important to put something in the mag, for the benefit of those members not on social media, but it was on my own initiative and I sourced the picture myself. I would have liked to do more but didn't have time.

Time and resources are always going to be a problem for a campaign run by volunteers.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #307 on: 12 August, 2015, 06:39:32 am »
The bit in the new Arrivée was lifted from the previous announcement on Facebook. I felt it was important to put something in the mag, for the benefit of those members not on social media, but it was on my own initiative and I sourced the picture myself. I would have liked to do more but didn't have time.

Time and resources are always going to be a problem for a campaign run by volunteers.
Good work!

I think this sums up the nature of Steve's campaign - it is very much a crowd-sourced thing, with a few key volunteers who are a million miles from full-time.

So while Kurt has 1 full-time (paid AND dedicated) helper, keen to provide regular social media updates;
Steve has "us lot";  between us we support him and get the information around (e.g. jo's graphing and the Arrivee coverage). Can someone show me what analysis Alicia has put online? ;-)

The last week has again highlighted the patchy & frustrating nature of Team Steve's PR; but remind yourselves: does any of that stuff
actually help him ride the bike 205 miles-per-day?

Its the least important thing his team does for him. What _we_ want isnt important; 
ask not what Steve can do for you ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #308 on: 12 August, 2015, 11:27:39 am »
The last week has again highlighted the patchy & frustrating nature of Team Steve's PR; but remind yourselves: does any of that stuff
actually help him ride the bike 205 miles-per-day?

Directly, of course not: an email newsletter or a video link doesn't turn his pedals.

Indirectly, I'd say yes. Better communications and publicity help engender support and a sense of community, so there's going to be a warmer, fuzzier, more supportive feeling any time TG looks in here or on facebook (in turn leading to an unquantifiable and probably small psychological boost), and likely to be more offers of practical support (cash, accommodation and the like).

And it would help reduce people bitching here, which is a negative (again, unquantifiable and small, but still ...).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #309 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:25:01 pm »
And it would help reduce people bitching here, which is a negative (again, unquantifiable and small, but still ...).
Nobody is making you bitch on here. Certainly not Steve.

Of course some people like bitching.

I wonder - how much Social Media Fuzzy Warm Feeling did it take to motivate jo to create his graphs?
How much did it take to get Alicia off the couch?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #310 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:55:25 pm »
It’s a bit like Manchester United FC telling the fans they can stay at home and watch the games on Youtube when there’s manutd.com, let alone a stadium that seats 75,000 people.

Can Steve’s team put news on the WEBSITE, and maybe tell us where Steve will be so we can go out and cheer.

The songs the crowd sing don’t win football matches ???

No?? Its called ‘Home advantage’ and Steve hasn’t got any.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #311 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:56:14 pm »
Matt, you're right of course; the team are volunteers and their time is limited, and we're all grateful that they give whatever they can. I know you think I and others are just whingers! But there is a need (I think) for fairly frequent communication to the wider world of what Steve is doing. Yes, those of us who frequent YACF can follow Jo's excellent analyses and maybe use the tracker site (though that's getting harder and harder to see clearly!), but some stuff can be automated to be disseminated via Facebook and the like - it was suggested the other day that Steve's Strava data was shared to FB (it can be sent to Twitter too). That's easy to set up and needs no ongoing input, and is likely to generate shares beyond the immediate followers, many of whom aren't in the YACF inner circle. These shares, in turn, may be picked up by the cycling websites and the wider press, and can generate publicity (and possibly more money!) with no effort from the volunteer team whatsover other than making two selections in Steve's Strava account! That, surely, has to be worth doing?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #312 on: 12 August, 2015, 07:25:30 pm »
Matt, you're right of course;
Finally, a sensible post!   :P

But seriously; yes Tim, I'm sure it could be improved. I remember the halcyon days in January when folks would post positive suggestions, (and occasionally actually OFFERS OF HELP!) by the bucketful. All good stuff.
Have a look back at the first pages of THIS THREAD.It started off as a celebration of all the publicity Steve/team were generating. (and they're still popping up in the media, and I mean REAL media )

I just wish peeps would keep some perspective. I think my last post was sufficient in this perspective. But I'd add: from personal experience if I was having a supported crack at the M24 I would swap a million "Social Media Consultants"* for one grumpy bastard like LWAB who would actually contribute something tangible to my performance.

And then of course there are the vocal minority who post ... well ...:
Warning - contains foul ranting:
(click to show/hide)

*(or even real PR people - I know at least one in AUK who'd be a real asset to any company I may one day be CEO for ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #313 on: 12 August, 2015, 08:49:14 pm »
I just wish peeps would keep some perspective. I think my last post was sufficient in this perspective.

Modesty indeed!  How about living with the fact that others have different opinions to yours for once.

I'm pretty sick of every time someone questions any aspect of Steve's campaign you have to escalate it into some kind of shit-storm.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #314 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:14:08 pm »
My personal feeling ( but do remember that my team role is fairly easy and I am fortunate to have spare time) is that there has been a lack of will in the team to cultivate and nourish the links with supporters. Certainly initially YACF was regarded with deep suspicion -- quite why this attitude existed was completely unclear to me -- failure to understand and appreciate I suspect-- and on at least one occasion I was "severely reprimanded" for posting on here.

The understanding of  YACF has improved over time , but still without recognising that this is the most active group of Steve supporters that exists -  although you will perhaps recall that I could recently ask on here for help for a support vehicle for Steve  -- but the concept of fostering strong links with Steve's most avid supporters is not part of the team's mind set.  A pity, in my opinion -- cos I think you should be kept updated.

there were plans for regular newsletters updating donors on news , information and the future  -- but these  plans have not been turned into reality. Sometimes this was seen as potentially providing inappropriate information which might  help Kurt .  ( My view -- cobblers )

On the other hand - I suspect that you are all aware that Steve himself is a quiet, not very demonstrative, character so that his own plans and ideas are not widely distributed around the team.

Please do not castigate me for trying to give you a feel of the team dynamics -- after all I am just the bean counter.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #315 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:31:14 pm »
I just wish peeps would keep some perspective. I think my last post was sufficient in this perspective.

Modesty indeed!  How about living with the fact that others have different opinions to yours for once.

I'm pretty sick of every time someone questions any aspect of Steve's campaign you have to escalate it into some kind of shit-storm.
I think you under-estimate the number of posts with which I disagree!
There are plenty of interesting opiniions here that add to the debate, yet are very different to mine. Thats all cool and lovely.

Its just that today I finally got fed-up of the increasing pile of bullshit-laden negative posts spewing from certain keyboards. I really ought to remember that its a numbers game - all parts of the internet have irritating noise.

Roll-on PBP- that should provide enough distraction to drown out the noise, and we can all talk about actual long-distance cycling :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #316 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:33:02 pm »
Looking back upthread, some people have had unrealistic expectations as to how this would pan out. That's not a criticism, just a reflection of their lack of experience in how publicity works. As someone who has been working in the media for 20 years, give or take, I feel qualified to say that it takes a LOT of work to maintain a high profile and regular media coverage.

Yes, Steve's OYTT bid could be better publicised, but this would require greater resources and expertise, neither of which come cheaply, whether you're counting in time or money.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #317 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:36:53 pm »
^ wot e said
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #318 on: 13 August, 2015, 01:21:38 am »

It might surprise you, Matt, but this is a thread (and a board, actually), where I manage to restrain my natural tendencies. If you can point to anything in the thread which could reasonably be said to be bitching by me, I'll be surprised.

« Reply #319 on: 13 August, 2015, 09:24:15 am »

Please do not castigate me for trying to give you a feel of the team dynamics -- after all I am just the bean counter.

Don't under-estimate your importance to the bid.

Counting the beans in this situation requires the appropriate skills and hard work.

One of the reasons I was content to donate was I knew my money would be in safe hands and be spent where I wanted it to be.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #320 on: 13 August, 2015, 11:10:11 am »

It might surprise you, Matt, but this is a thread (and a board, actually), where I manage to restrain my natural tendencies.
Well good for you :)

Hopefully this emphasises my point - noone is forced into bitching. Some just seem to take every opportunity ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #321 on: 14 August, 2015, 04:19:40 pm »

Don't under-estimate your importance to the bid.

Counting the beans in this situation requires the appropriate skills and hard work.

One of the reasons I was content to donate was I knew my money would be in safe hands and be spent where I wanted it to be.
my bold

I was happy to donate before I knew who would be looking after the beans.  When I knew I was even happier.    THANK YOU for taking on the post.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

red marley

« Reply #322 on: 15 September, 2015, 05:14:44 am »
Steve's September interview with Idai...

https://youtu.be/LKIP0wWrrpo

« Reply #323 on: 15 September, 2015, 07:00:21 am »
That's a splendid performance by both of them!

« Reply #324 on: 15 September, 2015, 07:04:03 am »
Steve's September interview with Idai...

https://youtu.be/LKIP0wWrrpo
Idai asked about the averages but Steve didn't know. I've got that info, up to 14 Sept;
Daily Avg.
289.73   kilometres      180.03   Miles         86.77   BPM         
NB: only moving days, zero mile days not included.

GO STEVE!!!   :thumbsup: