Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65314 times)

Re: Publicity
« Reply #350 on: 26 January, 2016, 01:43:11 pm »
There's an interesting echo of an article I linked to about the 2004 TV series 'Hercules' a while ago, when I was musing about what a TV programme of 'The Year' might look like.

Way back in Greek mythology, Hercules was a bit of a hero. The son of Jupiter and Alcmena, he was not looked on favourably by Jupiter's regular wife. Hera sent some snakes to strangle the youngster, but he defeated them with his bare hands. After a night of madness, in which he killed his wife and children, Hercules paged the Oracle at Delphi, who told him to serve King Eurystheus of Tiryns for a dozen years. During that time, the king tried to get rid of Herc, setting him twelve seemingly impossible tasks. "We do not intend to rid ourselves of Hercules," said Eurystheus's Crime Minister, "we are piloting our Community Service project, by which criminals might gain redemption by their own hard work." After completing his time in Tiryns, Hercules remarried, was killed by a poisonous potion, and became a genuine minor deity.

Many thousands of years later, the Hercules myth remains potent. There have been televised dramas loosely (very loosely) based around the original myths, and a cartoon that has nothing at all to do with the Greek tales. Now a game show takes some note of the legends, but twists them to its own ends.

In concept, Hercules is - as it probably should be - an extreme form of Gladiators. The events don't need a "Don't try this at home" warning because no one is going to be so stupid as to try and run on a giant hamster wheel. In execution, though, it's not quite all there.

A nice article though.

« Reply #351 on: 26 January, 2016, 03:06:59 pm »
Loving the juxtaposition of images, where Steve and Kurt are chillin' after a ride, in the Brooks blog.

The Brit with Tea.
The Yank with Donut.

All that's missing are pictures of the Queen and Donald Trump in the background.

Trump isn't in the Whitehouse yet.

Watch out for Hilary.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #352 on: 26 January, 2016, 03:08:49 pm »
Loving the juxtaposition of images, where Steve and Kurt are chillin' after a ride, in the Brooks blog.

The Brit with Tea.
The Yank with Donut.

All that's missing are pictures of the Queen and Donald Trump in the background.
Nasty slur on Kurt! :o

He doesn't seem half stupid enough to vote Trump. ;D
Getting there...

hillbilly

« Reply #353 on: 26 January, 2016, 05:16:44 pm »

The Brit with Tea.
The Yank with Donut.

Nasty slur on Kurt! :o

He doesn't seem half stupid enough to vote Trump. ;D

He's from Arkansas.  I will say no more.

« Reply #354 on: 31 January, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
I quite like the Cycling Weekly article, which features a Strava heat map of Steve's rides. However, it's an 'all time' map, which features his Pendle 600 ride in 2012. I suppose this is how legends get made.

The amazing ‘heat map’ of Abraham’s rides shows that he rode in pretty much every corner of England and Wales, and how frequently he visited certain areas. From the tip of Cornwall, to Snowdonia, to the Lake District and countless times around the Midlands.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/amazing-map-produced-of-where-steve-abraham-rode-on-his-year-record-attempt-209348#DgJcRQgbi4tqBsM8.99

I'm certainly amazed. Kurt never had to ride over Hardknott, Wrynose and Hartside, or ride the KSW 600.

« Reply #355 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:03:50 pm »
"Now for the 'Sports' round.

For questions one, two and three. Name three counties in England did Steve Abrams NOT ride his bike on his Strava Heatmap?"

"Question four. Name the Premiership football team who's home is in one of those Counties?"

"Question five. Which one of the counties has a First Class county cricket team?"

« Reply #356 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:11:59 pm »
It's great in the context of the discussion about the validity of Tommy Godwin's and Bruce Berkeley's rides.

The magazine that validated Tommy prints a press release from the organisation that Bruce is relying on to validate his ride, and they include stuff of Steve's from three years ago. It does show the value of primary sources. Over to you Jo!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #357 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:19:52 pm »
It's great in the context of the discussion about the validity of Tommy Godwin's and Bruce Berkeley's rides.

The magazine that validated Tommy prints a press release from the organisation that Bruce is relying on to validate his ride, and they include stuff of Steve's from three years ago. It does show the value of primary sources. Over to you Jo!
Jo's heatmaps tweeted to CW:
https://twitter.com/faffing/status/693845287547310080
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #358 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:33:18 pm »
Well done Matt, I see you were on the ball this morning, and Steve's put the record straight too.

« Reply #359 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:42:44 pm »
Interesting take on Steve's ride in the recent Cycleclips email too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #360 on: 01 February, 2016, 01:33:14 am »
And contestants who spell Steve's surname correctly will get extra points.  And what do points mean?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #361 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:38:23 am »
And contestants who spell Steve's surname correctly will get extra points.  And what do points mean?

That's QoS for ya',,,

Do you remember Tuffers calling Chris 'Stan'. ?

« Reply #362 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:43:02 am »
Points mean hundreds of kms, sir.  And Steve is a singular person.

« Reply #363 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:59:51 am »
There's a subconscious link to 'Chariots of Fire', Michael Broadwith got it wrong in his 24 Hour champion's speech at the Mersey, but he was probably quite tired. From 4.40 on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdpL-Xr8Z4

« Reply #364 on: 01 February, 2016, 12:55:57 pm »
Points mean hundreds of kms, sir. And Steve is a singular person.

Indeed, that's why it's apostrophe s.

If there'd been lots of Steves it would have been s apostrophe.

:)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #365 on: 09 February, 2016, 12:18:59 am »
Possibly the wrong thread, but I couldn't find a better one.

I just finished reading Dave Barter's book. I started slowly, as befits such a tome, but really upped the pace towards the end as I became book-fit. I HAMRd my way through the second half, in fact.

It puts a very good perspective on the event. 1911 seems so long ago, but, apart from the first few, pretty well all the people to take on the Year Record were of my parents' generation (my mother was born in 1911). The fact that the most successful 1930s riders were all still alive well into my adult years makes me think I should have been more aware of them. I think my favourite character was the belligerent vegetarian one-armed Yorkshire communist Walter Greaves - but then some of the nicest people I know are called Greaves and come from Yorkshire!

Actually, I think I was aware of Ken Webb, as his "attempt" was around the time - a little earlier in fact - that I was getting into cycling. I recall his name being mentioned on CTC rides in the late 1970s.

A good read - thanks!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #366 on: 09 February, 2016, 01:05:02 pm »
Belligerent Yorkshire vegetarian communist I can relate to!  One-armed, less so.
Getting there...

« Reply #367 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:26:30 pm »
Belligerent Yorkshire vegetarian communist I can relate to!  One-armed, less so.

Tommy Godwin's character as drawn by Dave is remarkably compelling, but I still have to say that I really warmed to Walter Greaves.

« Reply #368 on: 10 February, 2016, 07:38:20 am »
My secret  favourite is Menzies. Gets done over by Nicholson, goes straight back out there. Fails. Seethes for a few years. Goes back and finally does him over in his 60's. I have a long term project to find out a lot more about this man.

« Reply #369 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:38:38 pm »
My secret  favourite is Menzies. Gets done over by Nicholson, goes straight back out there. Fails. Seethes for a few years. Goes back and finally does him over in his 60's. I have a long term project to find out a lot more about this man.

Agreed! It seemed as most faded away after their attempt or record breaking. Menzies marched on, the fire burned until he did what he had to do to find peace in his soul... maybe? The epitome of unfinished business! Age should never stop us from living the dream. Love how Dave brought the spirit and the people back to life. I hope it becomes a movie!!!
The best thing I ever did was pick you as my crew. The best thing I ever did was pick you as my rider.

« Reply #370 on: 10 February, 2016, 05:28:38 pm »
There's an amusing article from 2006 about Greaves on a US website. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/walter-greaves-the-most-unpopular-record-breaker-of-all/
Menzies is described as 'smelling like something had died in his trousers.'

« Reply #371 on: 10 February, 2016, 05:50:12 pm »

Yup, him as well.

« Reply #372 on: 10 February, 2016, 07:49:17 pm »
There's a lot on Walter Greaves by Stuart Collins. He has Greaves' bike supplied by 'Ron Kitchen', actually Ron Kitching.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stu_collins/bikejumbles/pages/waltergreavestheman.html

RK was one of the sponsors of the ill-fated 800km Paris-Harrogate Audax in 1978, so there's probably very few degrees of separation between Greaves and a few on here. My closest link being through Nev Holgate. I had no idea that you can read Arrivee online via a site called 'Issuu' There's other Audax mags on there too.

http://issuu.com/audax-uk/docs/arrivee_119/18

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #373 on: 10 February, 2016, 08:28:37 pm »
RK was one of the sponsors of the ill-fated 800km Paris-Harrogate Audax in 1978, so there's probably very few degrees of separation between Greaves and a few on here. My closest link being through Nev Holgate.

Walter Greaves, Ron Kitching, Barry Parslow/ Rocco (both rode Paris-Harrogate), me (and a fair few others)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #374 on: 10 February, 2016, 08:38:03 pm »
And of course a winner of the PBP race received the Paris-Harrogate survivors. 'Oppy', not to be confused with 'Hoppo'.